Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Road Bike for Short Inner City Commute

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 01-14-21, 11:54 PM
carloscedeno

Bikes: Bianchi Brava 1986-1987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are road bikes good for a short inner city commute of around 15 minutes or am I better off with something else?
Old 01-15-21, 12:45 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Depends. Do you already have a road bike or something else? Are you comfortable riding one for the route you'd need to take? How will it be stored at your workplace? What weather conditions will you ride in?

If you'll be mixing with traffic and pedestrians, where you could benefit from a more heads-up riding posture, then some flat bar bike could be better. If you'll be mostly unimpeded then a road bike would be fine or even preferred if you like going fast.

If you have a road bike set up more for longer rides, say with minimal commuter niceties like fenders, rack/pannier/pack system to carry your stuff (granted a backpack won't be horrible for 15 min), or you have road clipless pedals and expect you'll need to unclip a lot in stop and start traffic, then a dedicated commuter (could still be a drop bar road bike) would be better. Same thing if you have one built for nice smooth roads with narrow tire clearance but your commute is bumpy, then you could be better off repurposing a cushier bike that can take wider tires like a CX, gravel, touring, hybrid, or MTB.

Then of course there are dedicated commuter bikes that aren't great for recreational riding but sturdier and more weatherproof, with say dynamo lights, chain guard or belt drive and internal gearing. There's less to fuss over about those from a maintenance perspective.

Personally, all my road bikes are setup for fast, longer distance riding (my commute pre-WFH was 16 miles one way), so I wouldn't ride them as-is for shorter trips. Though if I wanted to, I would only need a few steps to make it work: swap out my powermeter pedals for some one-sided SPD pedals, mount a u-lock, and change out the saddle bag for a larger seatpack.

If I had to lock it up outside though, I would have second thoughts for sure, because my road bikes are nice and thieves know it.
Likes For surak:
Old 01-15-21, 03:43 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Enjoying your day

It's great to start your day with a 15m ride. Only you know what that entails. Flat smooth roads I love my Single Speed, see me fly. If you're heading for the hills some gears are going to help. Don't get sold on something before you've walked your route and remember you're only going to get faster and fitter, start with something you can get up to speed on before shelling out the big bucks.
Old 01-15-21, 08:52 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My street is "the main drag" for cyclists because it funnels some fairly large neighborhoods into the middle of town without being the fast trunk road. So I see a lot of bikes during commuting times. There seems to be no specific preferred type of bike for commuting -- it's more like whatever folks had in the garage when they decided to start riding, or someone gets a fancy new bike that fits their imagined self image, or wants something that they can also take on long rides, etc. etc.

Folks who enjoy riding road bikes will tend to ride them everywhere. Why not. Life is short. A fancy road bike is certainly not inappropriate for a short commute unless theft is a potential problem.

I let my own habits guide me. I owned a road bike for a long time, along with a "clunker," and discovered that I was more motivated to ride the clunker, so I don't own a road bike any more.
Old 01-15-21, 09:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
When you say "inner city" do you mean the financial district or the ghetto? Many American cities have both. If the latter, consider that others may want an attractive bike and harming you to get might be just part of the game. If I have to ride through sketchy neighborhoods, I want (and used to ride) an old steel bike that is well past its better days. I used to only clean that which I needed to work on. Rode sewups because you could always ride them and leave the neighborhood, even with a flat, and changes could be done in 5 minutes. Took real pride in finding beat up looking parts that worked well.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-15-21, 10:20 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
I think it is much more important to ask how is your bike equipped. Will it accept fenders? A rack (if you need one), protect your pant cuffs from getting greasy? Have a saddle that won't be impacted by rain/snow, Accept wide enough tires to discourage flats. Plus depending on the quality be able to be confident where you lock it, it will likely not find its way to another persons house. In my experience the style of the bike is much less important.
Old 01-15-21, 12:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Backpack and BMX!
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-15-21, 04:09 PM
Vizu

Bikes: Vitus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a road bike to go at work. After one month I changed it with a common city bike. Too much holes on the road, a too much race position that isn't comfortable.
I think is better an old MTB of the right size, with road desing tyres .
Old 01-17-21, 02:57 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by surak

Then of course there are dedicated commuter bikes that aren't great for recreational riding but sturdier and more weatherproof, with say dynamo lights, chain guard or belt drive and internal gearing. There's less to fuss over about those from a maintenance perspective.
This. Road bikes are not designed or built for routine, convenient transportation. "Horses for courses," as they say. This being Bike Forums, where n + 1 is advocated, I'd recommend that you get one if you want the easiest possible trip to work. Bonus -- if the commuter bike is discovered to have an overnight flat, your road bike is a spare. Short trips are bad for your car and parking is tight in cities, so it is not your backup, even if they don't salt the roads.
Old 01-17-21, 08:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by carloscedeno
Are road bikes good for a short inner city commute of around 15 minutes or am I better off with something else?
If your commute is only 15 minutes, you're doing it wrong. I'm sure you could find a longer route if you tried.

As for which bike, pick the one that's comfortable. If you're looking for an excuse, n+1, baby, n+1. The only excuse you'll ever need.
Old 01-18-21, 12:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yes, a road bike is fine for a 15 minute commute.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-21-21, 08:22 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If it's a 15 minute ride, you can ride basically anything. A road bike is great if that's what you have.

Originally Posted by PaulH
This. Road bikes are not designed or built for routine, convenient transportation. "Horses for courses," as they say.
This place blows my mind sometimes. For a 15 minute ride, it literally doesn't matter. There was about a year and a half when I lived 2 miles from work. I had 3 bikes at the time, two of which were drop bar bikes and one of which was more of a commuter bike hybrid with fenders and flat bars. And I just rode whatever I felt like riding that morning, because it took 12 minutes to get to work. It was honestly the best commute I've ever had because it just didn't matter. No matter what I did, it was easy. Bike commuting ain't flying to the moon.
Old 01-21-21, 09:00 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
If it's a 15 minute ride, you can ride basically anything. A road bike is great if that's what you have.

This place blows my mind sometimes. For a 15 minute ride, it literally doesn't matter. There was about a year and a half when I lived 2 miles from work. I had 3 bikes at the time, two of which were drop bar bikes and one of which was more of a commuter bike hybrid with fenders and flat bars. And I just rode whatever I felt like riding that morning, because it took 12 minutes to get to work. It was honestly the best commute I've ever had because it just didn't matter. No matter what I did, it was easy. Bike commuting ain't flying to the moon.
When an exposed chain shreds the pants of a $2,000 suit it does matter.
Old 01-21-21, 09:03 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
You can use any bike that will accept a rear pannier rack for commuting 15 minutes.

Just make sure the bike is NOT attractive to thieves and get the most secure lock for it.

I have a cheap $250 road bike I use for all things - race training, 100 mile rides, commuting, hauling groceries, deliveries

I make it look ugly with paint, fake rust (some of them are real...), and never cleaning, except the drivetrain (barely) as my daily routes takes me to very poor neighborhoods:

Why do you have the seat set so low? How does your "heel drop" technique make up for this?
Old 01-21-21, 09:04 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I think whether the bike is a comfortable fit or not would be most important.

If it isn't, ride whatever is.
Old 01-22-21, 03:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a reflectorized velcro strap that prevents that. Occasionally I forget it, but I can use a rubber band or just tuck it into my sock.
Old 01-23-21, 06:42 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Ah yes, sorry, I neglected to consider the many thousands of working class heroes across this fine nation looking for the right bike for getting to work in their custom suits.
Likes For grolby:
Old 01-24-21, 12:14 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It doesn't matter. In the past 40 years I've used mountain bikes, geared and single speed road and cross bikes and touring bikes.

The only special commuting thing I do is if the bike has a frame pump under the top tube, I switch it for a mini pump. Part of my commute is on a train and it makes it easier for me to grab the top tube and load it.
Old 01-24-21, 12:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
50 years ago we used pant clips. They are still made. (I rode the 3 miles to school in jacket and dress pants.)