Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why We Should STOP Our Obsession With Bike Weight

Old 07-06-21, 01:05 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And? You pulled the sentence out of context--in the same post, he actually showed his math and figured out he would gain 30 seconds over 100 miles of flat. You get no points for selectively quoting to make your straw man look real.

Here's what your quote left out, BTW:

"Running the same calculation on a much flatter 100 mile course, I would gain just over 30 seconds with the 2kg lighter bike. Basically nothing worth spending any money on."
If anything that proves my point. The lighter bike is faster.
Old 07-06-21, 01:08 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Numbers would seem to suggest that on a long ride one could save time by bringing an extra water bottle. Eg, a kilo isn't going to slow you more than detouring into a route-adjacent store, fishing out wallet, waiting in line, or fighting with a low pressure water fountain.

​​​​​That's not to say a break itself isn't welcome, but supply stops seem to take 2-3x the actually useful break time.
​​​​​​

Last edited by UniChris; 07-06-21 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-06-21, 01:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,052 Times in 3,808 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
My bike is about 15kg and I've never once thought that I need a lighter bike. Prioritizing weight over durability just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
My primary road bike is half of that weight. There is nothing about my bike that is not durable for the type of riding it's designed for. My previous main road bike is about 1kg (2 lbs) heavier than the newer one. There is nothing about it that makes it more durable than the lighter one. The older one is 18 years old, and still rides like it did when it was new. How much durability do I need?

Last edited by Eric F; 07-06-21 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-06-21, 01:49 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
My bike is about 15kg and I've never once thought that I need a lighter bike. Prioritizing weight over durability just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Are you saying your Giant FCR3500 weighs 15kg?
Old 07-06-21, 02:00 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My bike weighs 30-35 lbs depending on what I am carrying.

I wish it weighed 15 lbs.
Old 07-06-21, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
If anything that proves my point. The lighter bike is faster.

By 30 seconds over 100 miles. My point was no one said it wasn't. Talk about moving the goal posts! And you understand that quote was from the same post you claimed said there was NO difference in speed. Basically, you were lying by quoting out of context.
Old 07-06-21, 02:46 PM
asgelle

By 30 seconds over 100 miles. My point was no one said it wasn't. Talk about moving the goal posts! And you understand that quote was from the same post you claimed said there was NO difference in speed. Basically, you were lying by quoting out of context.
I'll make it simple. The poster made a statement (A), I said (A) is incorrect. Later in the original post, the poster showed an example where (A) was contradicted. Now you're saying by showing that example, the poster never made statement (A) in the first place.

According to you, if I write a post claiming (B) and later not (B), then when someone says (B) is wrong, I can say no, you're taking me out of context. I never claimed (B) was true because I also said not (B).
Old 07-06-21, 02:50 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
i haven't read the responses so forgive me if I am repeating what has already been posted but

The video makes a good point for people who tour, people who ride alone or for people who are completely unaware of the topic at hand

but (and I am not one of those people) ...

If You are riding with a group of roadies and you need to stay with the group... being 5 seconds or 30 seconds behind will do You no good

so go ahead and obsess :-)
Old 07-06-21, 02:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
I'll make it simple. The poster made a statement (A), I said (A) is incorrect. Later in the original post, the poster showed an example where (A) was contradicted. Now you're saying by showing that example, the poster never made statement (A) in the first place.

According to you, if I write a post claiming (B) and later not (B), then when someone says (B) is wrong, I can say no, you're taking me out of context. I never claimed (B) was true because I also said not (B).
The correct answer is C, obviously.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-06-21, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Let me get this straight--you think there is a contradiction between saying "I wouldn't expect to pick up any time on the flat" and "it would take 100 miles to make a 30 second difference?" That's really lame--it's very clear from the context, he's saying it's too small a difference for him to notice. You really have to feign some pretty bad reading comprehension skills to get the "contradiction" you're perceiving.

30 seconds over 100 miles is pretty much negated by a couple minutes of headwind or whatever random occurence you'll encounter over 100 miles, so the speed difference is really just rounding error level stuff.
Old 07-06-21, 02:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,052 Times in 3,808 Posts
Let me get this straight--you think there is a contradiction between saying "I wouldn't expect to pick up any time on the flat" and "it would take 100 miles to make a 30 second difference?" That's really lame--it's very clear from the context, he's saying it's too small a difference for him to notice. You really have to feign some pretty bad reading comprehension skills to get the "contradiction" you're perceiving.

30 seconds over 100 miles is pretty much negated by a couple minutes of headwind or whatever random occurence you'll encounter over 100 miles, so the speed difference is really just rounding error level stuff.
If you're riding anywhere that has 100 miles of flat roads, you can bet it will be windy.
Old 07-06-21, 03:04 PM
asgelle

Let me get this straight--you think there is a contradiction between saying "I wouldn't expect to pick up any time on the flat" and "it would take 100 miles to make a 30 second difference?"
That's exactly what I'm saying. Words have meaning. There are plenty of qualifiers that could have been used to make the statement correct. To say 30 seconds over 100 miles isn't significant, meaningful important, ... is a value judgement and people will value that difference based on their own priorities. What can not be in dispute is 30 is infinitely times more than 0.

And that's why I said the mental model is wrong. To say, "I wouldn't expect to pick up any time on the flat" indicates the writer believes rolling resistance doesn't depend on weight (I know that isn't what he meant or thinks). That gives the reader a false picture of rolling resistance.
Old 07-06-21, 03:06 PM
asgelle

Now it's your mental model that needs correction. Whatever other factors may impact the ride, none of them will negate the energy saving or speed increase from the lower rolling resistance from the lighter bike.
Old 07-06-21, 03:07 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
If not weight, what else should we obsess with on our bike?
Finding a sport drink for our water bottles that matches the color of our bike.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 07-06-21, 03:11 PM
UniChris

Now it's your mental model that needs correction. Whatever other factors may impact the ride, none of them will negate the energy saving or speed increase from the lower rolling resistance from the lighter bike.
LOL

In reality just about ALL of them outrank that in impact. And you dishonestly snipped the direct evidence of that from what you quoted.

What you are talking about is little more than noise remaining when all other sources of difference are removed - which in the real world they never are.
​​​​​​
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-06-21, 03:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The correct answer is C, obviously.
Si.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-06-21, 03:18 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by UniChris
In reality just about ALL of them outrank that in impact. And you dishonestly snipped the direct evidence of that from what you quoted.
​​​​​​
I think you missed the point. However much larger the other factors are, the savings from lower rolling resistance is not affected by them and the increase in speed or reduction in power persists however drag or other factors may change.
Old 07-06-21, 03:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I think you missed the point. However much larger the other factors are, the savings from lower rolling resistance is not affected by them and the increase in speed or reduction in power persists however drag or other factors may change.
Yeah, no. Nobody's denying the savings exist. They're pointing out that they work out to no larger than a rounding error.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 03:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's exactly what I'm saying. Words have meaning. There are plenty of qualifiers that could have been used to make the statement correct. To say 30 seconds over 100 miles isn't significant, meaningful important, ... is a value judgement and people will value that difference based on their own priorities. What can not be in dispute is 30 is infinitely times more than 0.

And that's why I said the mental model is wrong. To say, "I wouldn't expect to pick up any time on the flat" indicates the writer believes rolling resistance doesn't depend on weight (I know that isn't what he meant or thinks). That gives the reader a false picture of rolling resistance.
So, you knew that wasn't what he meant, so you plucked out a sentence from the context to make it sound like that's what he meant. That's a confession, not a refutation. You're just trolling by fake nitpickery. At least be funny if you're going to post such drivel.
Old 07-06-21, 03:48 PM
asgelle

So, you knew that wasn't what he meant, so you plucked out a sentence from the context to make it sound like that's what he meant.
The clarification came after I responded to the post. Please try to keep up.

I can't decide if the next post (and there's always a next post) warrants invoking the first rule of holes or the Shawshank quotation.

Last edited by asgelle; 07-06-21 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-06-21, 04:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I can't decide if the next post (and there's always a next post) warrants invoking the first rule of holes or the Shawshank quotation.
Uh, you cannot quote two things FROM THE SAME POST and claim that the second comes after your response to the first. Time still runs in just the one direction, at least as we humans experience it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-06-21, 04:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No one is missing the point, "I wouldn't expect" and words to that effect just mean that the difference is really too small for us non-racing people to notice. Basically, all you're doing is "correcting" people who are quite clear about what they're actually saying by telling them they're wrong for saying something they are not.

And speaking of wrong, my use of "negated" was perfectly correct. If I am doing the same exact ride on two bikes of different weights, and there's a random headwind that slows me only on the ride of the lighter bike, that will negate the time/speed advantage I got over the heavier bike ride. Since any ride of 100 miles is going to have some number of random occurrences affecting resistance, I will almost certainly not be able to sort out the effects of weight on speed, and it is for all practical non-racing purposes, insubstantial and irrelevant.

Now, if you would be so kind as to stop with the condescending and incorrect corrections, maybe we can have a decent conversation.
Old 07-06-21, 04:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Your "clarification" admitted you did exactly what I said you did. I was ahead of you by at least two posts.

And, really, don't try to be clever, it just doesn't work for you.
Old 07-06-21, 04:07 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by genejockey
Uh, you cannot quote two things FROM THE SAME POST and claim that the second comes after your response to the first. Time still runs in just the one direction, at least as we humans experience it.
I don't know what you're talking about, The original statement came in post 122 my response was post 123, and the clarification in post 130.
Old 07-06-21, 04:08 PM
UniChris

Whatever other factors may impact the ride, none of them will negate the energy saving or speed increase from the lower rolling resistance from the lighter bike.
Except that you could be dramatically faster over non-hilly courses by adding weight.
​​​​
Specifically, by riding a fully faired recumbent.

In fact, "rolling resistance" is trivially overshadowed by a step that could easily be taken, but isn't. You'd actually make that worse, but potentially end up 30-40% faster.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-06-21 at 04:11 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.