Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 11:03 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Rode across Limburg this weekend. We did have to cut sunday short because of heavy rain but all in all it was a great ride.

The Graveller was noticeably slower on the climbs (though that might have to do with the higher overall weight of the rider + cargo) but in general was able to keep up on the flat parts and soared ahead on the downhills.
The 40/42mm wide supple tyres were very comfortable and worked a treat on the few unpaved sections where the others had to be very careful on their 22mm road tyres.

I installed my custom frame bag by Tim Tas and the Restrap rando bag which was enough for the weekend. We picked two different hostels so we ended up riding with our gear the entire route. It was a good shakedown ride to see how I liked the bag setup for later this summer when I plan to ride it from Marseille along the côte d'azur to Rome. I'll add the Carradice saddlebag then for some extra space. Rando bag (17L) + Carradice (23L) + frame bag (5L ?) = 45L+ ... not sure what would be the best conversion to American here... 9.130 teaspoons perhaps? 11.88 gallons?

On the way there I ran into a woman on the train who was doing a slightly longer route and we talked bikes. She commented on me being one of the first people she's seen with the Carradice rear rack as she had one herself.
All in all a good trip and I slept like a baby both nights.

Post-trip. Rear tyre and chain need some cleaning since the rain made them dirty.
Old 07-05-21, 12:45 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I can't keep up it with all the great rides!

We took ye ole vintage tandem out for 32 miles today, mostly roads we've done many times but in a different order. We started early. Most people seemed to be sleeping at that hour. Lots of bikes though. Ferns in Carlisle was closed but that didn't stop riders from stopping there. In their continuing effort to make the Ferns experience better they have put up pop-up canopies over all their tables. Nice touch. The tandem attracted a good deal of attention. That's always fun.

We rode back to Concord for our obligatory picnic.

My sweetie says I am a popcornivore. She is too.
Old 07-05-21, 10:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
First Cino preparation ride on the Iron Horse trail with Alex Moll, northbend and a few other locals. We got going around 1030; little wind, misty, foggy and cool. The sun broke through about the time we arrived at the Hyak Tunnel. Nice smooth tunnel surface which I got to enjoy this time thanks to Matt lending me a couple of high-powered lights for both the bike and my forehead! It was, however, quite wet and when we came out the other side, those of us lacking fenders had pretty sloppy-looking bikes. Oh, well, **** washes off, right? Right

We ended up doing lunch at the outdoor patio of Dru Bru; I sampled a gigantic piece of cheese pizza from a place across the road (Pie For the People NW). It was great catching up a bit with Alex especially - probably hadn't seen him since April 2020 - and chatting with the other riders in our group on both legs. Alex had the beginnings of a tire issue at the summit, but it lasted - just! - until we got back to the cars. A really fun day with perfect weather and fantastic company!

Some crappy cell-phone pics:

It blew less than 5 minutes later:

Yuck:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-06-21 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-06-21, 08:53 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Some more pictures from DDs ride up to the pass yesterday.

Low clouds as we started off it was pleasantly cool. Things began to slowly lift after we passed by Deception Crags.

DDs run up to the pass 1 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Not sure what’s going on here, looks like the Dude picked up a stray diaper someone had dropped on the trail :-)

DDs run up to the pass 3 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

One of the frequent regroups along the way

DDs run up to the pass 4 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Some butterfly action

DDs run up to the pass 5 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Approaching the Tunnel

DDs run up to the pass 7 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The seating in the Beer garden at DRUBRU taproom was filled to capacity so we found an open table on the patio next door at the Commonwealth Basin Restaurant. Kind of strange that the restaurant was closed on a holiday. I bought some food from the food truck, a beer from the taproom for lunch.

DDs run up to the pass 8 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The sun was warming things nicely in the afternoon for the ride back down the trail.

DDs run up to the pass 9 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Alex discovered his rear tire casing was beginning to fail while we were waiting for everyone to regroup. He decided to keep going while we waited for everyone else to catch up. He’d have to ride more carefully for this point on..

DDs run up to the pass 13 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

DDs run up to the pass 15 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The Dude went flying past us after the regroup. I marveled that his 23mm tires withstood the beating they got as he rushed to catch up with Alex.DDs run up to the pass 14 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Alex’s luck held out - making it all the way back to his car without having to stop and replace the tire. As we were saying our goodbyes there was a pop and a cloud of dust from the back of Alex’s car. The tire giving up the ghost just as Alex was getting ready to load it onto the car. Ha!
Old 07-06-21, 10:00 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Edisto Beach, SC

Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 07-06-21, 11:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Alex’s luck held out - making it all the way back to his car without having to stop and replace the tire. As we were saying our goodbyes there was a pop and a cloud of dust from the back of Alex’s car. The tire giving up the ghost just as Alex was getting ready to load it onto the car. Ha!
He must live a virtuous life!
Old 07-06-21, 07:24 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Very nice riding today after several days of rain so everything is green or wild flowers in the Fairplay Colorado nice change from brown mud and white snow. Took quick ride on the bike path and back by the hard way back road.

Old 07-08-21, 10:11 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I took the Holland out for some Island time yesterday.
This is a nice bike by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

For those familiar with the Seattle area: Starting in the city of Redmond, I rode into Seattle via Sammamish River > Burke-Gilman > South Ship Canal > Elliott Bay Trails and hopped on the ferry to Bainbridge Island.
I rode clockwise around the Island before heading back to Seattle and closing the loop to Redmond via the SR 520 trail.

I’ve always ridden Bainbridge in a counter clockwise direction I guess because that is the way I became familiar with the place from riding the well known Chilly Hilly route.
Doing it in the other direction gave me a different perspective - like riding new roads….

Aptly named:
The name is entirely appropriate by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Because of this:
Down to the water on Toe Jam Hill by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

A beautiful time of the year to enjoy the Island
A quiet lane by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 07-09-21, 08:40 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
I took the Holland out for some Island time yesterday.
For those familiar with the Seattle area: Starting in the city of Redmond, I rode into Seattle via Sammamish River > Burke-Gilman > South Ship Canal > Elliott Bay Trails and hopped on the ferry to Bainbridge Island.
A beautiful time of the year to enjoy the Island
We went to visit our Seattle daughter over the 4th and rode a couple of days on the Burke-Gilman trail and took the ferry to Bainbridge our last day, but that was Tuesday and skies were crystal clear. I would have loved to ride your full route. Aaryn has 2 C&V road bikes and my wife & youngest daughter settled for Lime Bikes, but they didn't mind the pedal assist.
Golden Gardens Park

Good to see the Team Fuji again, it was mine until Aaryn took a liking to it

Sturmey Archer 3 speeds ! - My wife wants one for the neighborhood now

We rode from Udub to Golden Gardens Park and were staying in Fremont. The Google campus was impressive as was all of Seattle. We stopped for food right across from the Davidson's Handbuilt Bikes shop

We did all the touristy things and were lucky to catch a good Mariners game with a walk-off win in extra innings Friday night, with fireworks after

We also hiked a trail in Steven's Pass

I hear from Aaryn you don't always get this good of a view of Mt. Rainier

6 days of great weather, cool nights & low humidity compared to the stifling humidity we're used to. We're so lucky to have missed the heat wave - I love the PNW !!

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 07-09-21 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-09-21, 10:30 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Been riding the same routes for the most part (not any long rides recently). Went a little beyond where I normally do through Chatfield State Park and got some pictures as well.

Bridge over untroubled waters (South Platte - with the reservoir so full it's not really flowing at this just upstream location)

Here comes the sun...

Getting a bit more rural south of the state park

Can see the rocks of Roxborough in the distance

Higher view of Chatfield Reservoir from Wadsworth - water level is still very high

Balloons are a Friday/Saturday/Sunday and sometimes other day ritual - they always set up in this same field in the park
Likes For AJI125:
Old 07-09-21, 02:26 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Rode the Fuji Team today. It's cooled off a bit from the heat last weekend and the crowds have left the lakefront.
I stopped by an old friend's house towards the end of the ride and we caught up.

On this bike I've installed a new Tange headset and cartridge bottom bracket, Tektro levers that are way more comfortable, swapped out the short cage Cyclone II M for the mid-cage version and put a greater range freewheel on to help with hills. Also, new wheelset.
Likes For leftthread:
Old 07-09-21, 06:41 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
WHAT!! I thought you wuz the reigning chainring boss o’ cross-chaining training, or wuz you feigning? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 07-10-21, 09:26 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 3,467 Times in 999 Posts
Yesterday, a favorite route to Boulder City, NV starting in Henderson, NV -- 32 miles RT.
Temperatures ranged from 93 F at the start to 108F at the finish.
That's right, baked to a delicate crunch.
Here's one of many historical highlights in Boulder City -- a retired turbine runner (water wheel) from the Hoover Dam on display in beautiful Bicentennial Park.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Last edited by SpeedofLite; 07-10-21 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 07-10-21, 11:33 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
We got a lot of rain yesterday.

A nice easy slide, I was laughing before coming to a stop.

Bonus pic:

Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 07-10-21, 11:38 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
We got a lot of rain yesterday.
Consider yourself lucky. Send some out west if you get a chance.
Old 07-10-21, 11:47 AM
Sir_Name 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I know it…I work with a fair number of people out west, feel for ya. I’ll keep blowin’ in the wind.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 07-10-21 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 07-10-21, 12:43 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I know it…I work with a fair number of people out west, feel for ya. I’ll keep blowin’ in the wind.
Indeed. I sure don't want a repeat of last year's fire season, already some raging around Shasta and southern Oregon.
Old 07-10-21, 01:15 PM
Sir_Name 

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Indeed. I sure don't want a repeat of last year's fire season, already some raging around Shasta and southern Oregon.
Ugghh. Not sure what else to say…
Old 07-10-21, 01:54 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Ugghh. Not sure what else to say…
Not much else to say, really, it is what it is, and out of our hands. But I do envy that the Midwest and East Coast actually get measurable rainfall in the summer. I guess that's the tradeoff for the high humidity!

Last edited by johnnyace; 07-10-21 at 07:20 PM. Reason: clarity
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 07-10-21, 03:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
No fancy pics here just a little schlepping around Nort East Ft Wayne on my Ugly Betty.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-10-21, 03:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Not much else to say, really, it is what it is, and out of our hands.
I'm almost looking forward to winter.

la Nina odds favor cooler, wetter winter for Western Washington

September, anyway.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-10-21, 03:46 PM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
Yesterday, I rode from the end of the MAX line in Hillsboro, to Lincoln City, where my wife and I are staying with friends for the weekend.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/70880952

But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post about it here. I was planning to ride my Atlantis, but late on Wednesday I realized that that "Clunk" noise I had been noticing had not been cured by my repacking the rear hub, or the subsequent removal and cleaning of the cassette and chainrings, or even the new chain. It was coming from the wheel bearing on the front wheel, which uses cartridge bearings that I could not replace myself.

I suppose that I should have ridden the Lygie, so I could have called it a Cino prep ride, but didn't have time to check out another bike. So, I rode my Bike Friday. Definitely off topic.

My hope had been to get to the cooler coastal air before the temperatures rose too much, but failed; it was 37°C on the way up to Murphy Summit. I stopped briefly to chat with another Bike Friday, complete with suitcase trailer, being pushed up the hill by a woman from Illinois. The ride down the hill to the coast was great, though.
Old 07-11-21, 11:17 AM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts
Tested my Union Sakai o long ride - nice but I REALLY need to double wrap bars.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5606781412
Old 07-11-21, 01:48 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

One of my local 30-miler early morning rides, from Salem to Independence. Lots of folks out riding this morning, as things are heating up later in the day. Testing out the new wheelset and rear derailleur on the Peugeot PXR80.

Life behind bars...

The blueberry crop is looking good.

Blueberry fields forever...

The Willamette River from the bridge to Independence.

Bridge over the Willamette River.

Good morning!

Independence, Oregon - Est. 1845

Chickens!

Why did the chickens cross the road?

Refueling upon returning to Salem, at the Governor's Cup. That bagel sandwich is what they call "Romance in Durango."
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 07-11-21, 02:00 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
After prompting by my sweetie I took the Masi out for a spin this morning. I decided to try a new road. I had no idea where it went except its general direction. It's hard to go wrong around here unless you find yourself at the bottom of a long steep hill or surrounded by heavy traffic. Fortunately I found neither. I ended up with 47.95 miles. It would have been more if I'd ridden further but the road ran out just as I reached home so that will have to do.

Lots of bikes out today. About 20 minutes out I came upon a pair of riders trying to fix a flat with a mini-pump. (Useless things they are.) The guy said he didn't want to use up his CO2 cartridge. (So like, why carry it?) Anyway, I offered him use of my frame pump and he took me up on it. He didn't seem to understand how to get the best mechanical advantage with his arms but he got enough air in the tire to continue. Another victory for C&V equipment!

I stopped at the usual haunts, Heart Pond in Chelmsford for an early 10:30 lunch, then Ferns General Store in Carlisle to finish lunch. While I was eating another cyclist came out and asked "You're on another vintage bike today?" Huh? He recognized me from my last stop there riding the PF10. He even remembered the bike, a blue Peugeot. We spoke briefly. As he rode away another cyclist asked "You riding solo today?" Huh? She and her husband recognized me from the last time my sweetie and I stopped there on the tandem. I said she was the second person to recognize me there in the last few minutes and she said "You ride the same roads often enough and people get to know you."

The ride home offered a few photo ops. Carlisle's cranberry bog used to be quite productive. Riding by in the fall always meant a stop to watch the harvest. It hasn't operated for a few years now, but maybe they will get it going again.

A field in Lincoln was educational. I never expected aliens to look like cows. Somehow Andy Weir had led me to believe they would look more like spiders, but seeing is believing I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.