Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used bike purchasing help!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 09:01 AM
ssedha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Everyone

Been lurking on this site for a while trying to learn and educate myself. Finally decided to register and post. I used to own a hybrid bike, but it got stolen. I am thinking about getting back into cycling, but mostly as physical activity / fun and exploring the city. I don't want to get competitive (yet), but still would like to get to a point where I can ride 20 odd miles in a given day (or more during the weekends). I went to a couple of local bike stores and I thought my budget of trying to keep it around $1000 (Definitely less than $1500) would get me a decent starter bike. Luckily, I was able to test a few bikes to determine the frame size (which will be a Medium). The problem I faced was a) there was no stock of 'alloy' bikes around and b) $1000 - $1500 may not be enough to get me a decent bike. I've spent the past few days reading reviews on various bikes and frankly they seem subjective and overwhelming to me. Lastly - since the local bike stores don't have inventory for new bikes, they recommended I check out the used market (CL, FB Marketplace, The Pros Closet). I apologize in advance if this is 'yet another bike assistance thread', but I have located the following that I'd like help narrowing down to 2-4 so I can check them out in person.

- Cannondale CAAD 8 - 56 cm; Shimano 105 10sp; Shimano BB, Cane Creek headset; Bike rated at 9.5/10 - Priced at $1000 (Pedals not included) and is about 2 hour drive for me to check it out

- Orbea Terra T105 - 54 cm; Shimano 105 2x10; Seller mentioned it's a 2014 and tuned up last year at a local bike shop and hasn't been ridden much - Priced at $1100 (Pedals not included) - Close enough that I can see in person

- Cannondale CAAD 5 - 54 cm; Shimano 105 9 speed (12-23 teeth); Seller mentions it's 'Like New' condition. Priced at $875 - Close enough that I can see in person

- Cinelli Experience - 53 cm; Other components unknown. Seller purchased a frame set. Priced at $800 - Tried to get in touch with the seller, but he hasn't responded back

- Cinelli Vigorelli - 55 cm; Other components unknown. Priced at $500 - Seller hasn't responded to my message

- Trek Madone 4.5 - 54 cm - Shimano 105; Priced at $1200 - local and I can see it

- Trek Madone 3.1 H2 - 54 cm - Other components unknown - Seller says he's ridden less than 100 miles and recently got a tune up - Priced at $950 (About a 6-hour drive from me; but I have a friend who can look at it in person and possibly purchase)

- BMC Streetfire Road Bike - Medium - Shimano 105 - Seller mentions less than 100 miles on it; Priced at $1000 (Also about a 3-hour drive for me)

If you had to rank these, which ones are the 'must' that I should definitely take a closer look?

I know you're probably thinking that I am all over the place, but I would like to get the best value for money. I appreciate all the guidance and help you all provide, so I'm looking forward to learning more.

I am in the Chicago area. I live downtown but have a car so can venture out to the burbs!

Thank you in advance

edit: added links

Last edited by ssedha; 08-16-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 09:07 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
By your standards I'd go check the Cannondale at #3 on your list.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-12-21, 09:20 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I think you have to do some triage on your list. For example, the Cannondale Capo. Do you really want a single speed bike?
As for some of the others, Shimano 105 or Ultegra doesn't mean much unless you know which version it is. There was one version of 9 speed, 2 versions of 10 speed and 2 versions of 11 speed.
Another example: The Cinelli that has been used for training and racing. I can't even find that model online. Pass
Narrow your focus
Provide links to the bikes you are looking at, you can tell things by looking at the ad

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-12-21 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-12-21, 09:29 AM
ssedha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish there was a like button here thank you both for your prompt responses. This is exactly the type of help I was looking for.
I didn't even notice the Cannondale was single speed. I'll update the rest as I get more information.

I tried to add URLs, but I am too new to do that

Last edited by ssedha; 08-12-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-12-21, 09:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Some people have good luck buying used bikes, some do not. I'm not a fan but I can see how it works for people.

We can't tell what those bikes are like by looking at a seller's description, you have to see them in person and find out if they are set up the way you want or if they will need lots of changes to make them work for you.

Go look at the Cannondale that's close to home and if you feel comfortable on it and it's in good shape it's probably as good as anything else for your purposes.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-12-21, 09:40 AM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by ssedha
I wish there was a like button here thank you both for your prompt responses. This is exactly the type of help I was looking for.
I didn't even notice the Cannondale was single speed. I'll update the rest as I get more information.
There is a like button but as a new member with fewer than 10 posts you probably don't have access yet
You also won't be able to post links yet either until you pass the 10 post spam prevention threshold.
A bike make and model without a year of manufacture makes researching very difficult, even then, making a recommendation without at least seeing pictures of the bike isn't ideal.
Take your time searching, the more research you do the better equipped you will be to make a good choice
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-12-21, 09:45 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Definitely would write off any that the seller isn't quick to get back to you and start with the local ones that are easiest to go look at and test ride. I'm 71 and have gone through a lot of bikes but have only purchased 1 brand new and I only owned it 3 years. Nothing wrong with used if you check em over first and have an idea of what you want in a bike.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 08-12-21, 09:49 AM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by big john
We can't tell what those bikes are like by looking at a seller's description, you have to see them in person and find out if they are set up the way you want or if they will need lots of changes to make them work for you.

Go look at the Cannondale that's close to home and if you feel comfortable on it and it's in good shape it's probably as good as anything else for your purposes.
This is pretty good advice, but that Cannondale is probably close to 20 years old and overpriced even considering the current shortages. However, you have to start somewhere and close to home is better than hours of driving. If you can see how long the bike has been for sale you may be able to negotiate a lower price
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-12-21, 09:55 AM
ssedha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of this is excellent advice. So far from the ones I've reached out to, only 2-3 have actually responded back. Generally speaking - when you go see the bike in person, what are the dealbreakers? I understand the saddle and the handle bars can be adjusted, and the bike can actually be fitted to me (which I would do anyway at a local bike shop).
Old 08-12-21, 10:22 AM
big john

All of this is excellent advice. So far from the ones I've reached out to, only 2-3 have actually responded back. Generally speaking - when you go see the bike in person, what are the dealbreakers? I understand the saddle and the handle bars can be adjusted, and the bike can actually be fitted to me (which I would do anyway at a local bike shop).
Any frame damage or fork damage should be a deal breaker, imho. If the drivetrain looks trashed you can replace it but factor that into the cost. If it doesn't fit. Sure, you can adjust some, but of the top tube is way too long you're not going to be comfortable. If the handle bar is way too low, same thing.
Remember, 2 bikes from 2 different companies can fit totally different even though they may be listed as the same size.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-12-21, 10:25 AM
big john

Originally Posted by alcjphil
This is pretty good advice, but that Cannondale is probably close to 20 years old and overpriced even considering the current shortages. However, you have to start somewhere and close to home is better than hours of driving. If you can see how long the bike has been for sale you may be able to negotiate a lower price
Yes, I saw he added in the CAAD5, 9 speed to the OP. I actually had one of those bikes for 5 years, or so. Nice handling bike, fairly light, and brutally stiff.
Cannondales tended to be long in the top tube compared to some others.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-12-21, 01:26 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Make sure the seller knows that you intend to test ride it and if he won't loan you a set of pedals (assuming it doesn't have any) that you bring some with, even cheap ones. Just don't expect the bike to be fitted to you when you test ride it. You want to make sure like some have stated earlier, the bike isn't too big or too small overall for you. If you think that you might be replacing anything more than a chain, cables, or cassette, be sure and deduct that from the price. Some parts can cost more than a good used bike. Good luck,
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 08-12-21, 04:35 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
If you posted where you are, we could do a quick search of your market. Another resource is Nextdoor. Sellers are usually dealing with a smaller market so prices can be more reasonable.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-12-21, 09:33 PM
jolathe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
i bought a 1988 used Trek a couple weeks ago, mainly because I wanted to try a drop-handlebar bike, and like you've found, unless you spend thousands or go low-price, new is difficult to find. When I got it home I tried an easy pedal on my driveway, and the handlebars rotated down followed quickly by the rear wheel pulling out of the dropout. It needed a bath, new tires/tubes, new saddle, virtually every component needed alignment/adjustment, and everything needed properly tightened. But the price wasn't bad, it fits me, it wasn't corroded, had modern brake/shifters put on it, and I knew what I was getting into. I did the work and it cleaned up nice and I'm pleased with the bike. My suggestion would be, if you go used, go with the best-cared for and ready-to-ride used bike unless you enjoy a project and have the time and perseverence to restore it to a safe, rideable, presentable state you'll be proud of.
Likes For jolathe:
Old 08-13-21, 12:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
First off .... make sure you are absolutely certain you can tell a winner from a loser. Nothing more heartbreaking than getting that new used bike back home and Then finding the fatal flaws which make it unrideable.

Shake everything---nothing on a bike should move side to side except brifter levers. Spin everything---everything which should spin (including headset) should be absolutely smooth and keep spinning easily for a while (except the headset on that part.) Look underneath--check for scrapes and stuff. Alloy frames are tough, so some minor scuffing is Probably not an issue but you can ask "Did you get this in a crash?" Maybe at least s/he will tell you an entertaining story.

Count on needing new tubes and tires, and cables. Check all that, and look at the brake shoes. If they are hard as concrete, they aren't going to stop you. Replacements are probably cheap and easy enough to find, probably.

Tap all the spokes. if some are really tight and some are much looser ... could mean a lot of things, but at the very least means they guy didn't take good care of his bike. If the wheels aren't mostly straight and true, it could be that they never will be again ....

I do a sort of "Shake and Bounce" test when I pull a bike off the rack, particularly if I haven't ridden it in a while,. I shake the bike, pick up each end and and drop it a little, put on each brake and shake and push against it, shake the cranks, grab the bars and shake the headset ...... I have found loose brake binder bolts, loose cranks, little stuff which i had probably noticed on the last ride and thought, "I will definitely adjust that when I get home," and then forgot ...... so do that.

Always test ride and shift through all the gears, panic-test the brakes .... of course you will already have tested them, but still ....

Most important make sure it fits. You can stretch a frame pretty far with seat posts and stems, but the closer to Right you start, the better the whole thing will work, and the more room you will have to fine-tune. Obviously the bike will be set up for the owner, and I doubt the guy is going to let you swap in your own stem ("I brought a few different ones just to test .... ") but you definitely want to bring some allen wrenches to adjust the seat height. Particularly never buy too big. You might think you can stretch that extra half inch but after an hour on the road you will find that that half inch seems like two inches ......

The best thing is that you find a knowledgeable friend who can go with you. Do Not have a friend go without you---how could s/he know if a bike fit your specific build? But if you go shopping for used bikes, make Sure you know what to look for. People here could write a much more extensive list than I have.

A final note---check out Bikes Direct. I have had good luck getting starter bikes from them. You will need to do some assembly and adjustment, but if you buy used, you will also need to.

You can certainly get some awesome deals used, particularly if you are very patient or very lucky. You can also buy a rolling headache. If you buy new, you know all the parts are new .... but they won't be as good. However, functioning mid-quality parts are better than non-functioning top-of-the-line parts.

Whatever, keep posting here, please. We want to know what you end up with.

Last edited by Maelochs; 08-13-21 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-14-21, 07:12 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I was in a similar situation over the past month looking for a bike that I could permanently mount on my smart trainer. Monitoring eBay, Craigslist and FB Marketplace, I had 10 or so bikes that sounded promising, from a price, size and configuration standpoint. Over time, I deleted bikes from my list for various reasons including the cost added to have the bike shipped to me. Focusing only on bikes being sold locally (1 hr or so ride in any direction), the process became much more manageable as I had already set a price level. By the way, if a seller did not respond to me in a reasonable time, I deleted them immediately as I was not going to chase someone who was not interested/courteous enough to respond.

I eventually narrowed my list down to 2 bikes and made plans early this past week to see both bikes in person on this weekend when both sellers (and I) were available.

One of the bikes, by coincidence, was a Cannondale CAAD5. It was listed on FB Marketplace for $475 and the seller agreed to my offer of $400, a price more realistic for a bike of that model and age than the $875 your seller is asking. Like almost all bikes listed online, this bike also was ”like new” and “hadn’t been ridden much in the past few years”. It sounded like eactly what I wanted and the seller suggested we meet in his town’s police department’s parking lot to “protect the both of us”. I thought that was a great idea and since he was on vacation, we planned to meet this Saturday (today) to complete the transaction if the bike met my needs. The seller’s town is only a 30-40 minute drive from my house, so I looked forward to seeing the bike. My plan was to replace the F/R derailleurs and cassette on that bike with the better 11-speed Shimano 105 groupset I have laying around after upgrading my primary bike to Ultegra Di2 electronic shifting a couple of months ago.

The other bike was a 2012 Trek and was in the town next to where I live. It was priced at $700 but the seller agreed to $650. Since the CAAD5 sounded so promising, cost less and would most likely always be mounted on my trainer, I scheduled to meet the Trek owner on Sunday. I was honest with him saying that I was looking at the CAAD5 on Sat and may cancel if I bought the CAAD. He was okay with that arrangement.While waiting for the weekend, on Wed an ad popped up on FB Marketplace for a 2016 Orbea Avant. It has the frame size I was looking for and, importantly, was equipped with a Shimano 11-speed Ultegra groupset, which is better than my 105 groupset and eliminated the need for me to swap the groupset like I would have to do to the CAAD5. As an eerie coincidence, the owner of this bike lives in the same town as the CAAD5 owner! Taking the cue from the CAAD5 owner, I suggested we meet in the town’s PD parking lot “to protect him and me”, and the guy readily agreed. The owner was asking $625 but agreed to my $575 offer. I was happy to pay more for this bike than the CAAD5 due to it being much newer and having the Ultegra groupset already installed meant I did not have to swap out equipment. Since my smart trainer is already set up with an 11-speed cassette, mounting the Orbea on it requires no changes to bike or trainer.

The bike looked great and my short test ride in the parking lot confirmed the gears shifted well and the rim brakes worked flawlessly and silently. We completed the cash transaction. Yesterday, I cleaned up the bike and next week I will take it to the shop that does my work. There, it will get tuned up and the specs that they have on file when I was fitted there for my primary bike this past Spring will be applied to the Avant.

Shortly after getting home after buying the bike, I contacted the CAAD5 and Trek owners and cancelled our scheduled meetings. Both thanked me for getting back to them.

As a final note, your bike list has frame sizes 53cm to 56cm. A cm or two can make a difference in riding comfort. Be sure the bike you choose is comfortable. Insist on being able to sit on it and take a short ride. Like I did, arranging to meet at a safe location is not a bad idea.

So, good luck in your search, be patient and try to keep the parameters of your search, i.e. price range, location, bike size, and other criteria simple and as clearly defined as possible. You will find what you are looking for….good luck!

Last edited by oldwinger14; 08-14-21 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 08-14-21, 02:41 PM
ssedha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for your responses (I had to wait 24hrs before I could post more). I'm scheduled to take a look at the Orbea Terra tomorrow. I also went to another local bike store today and the cheapest they had in stock was $1899 (a Kona bike). It was 52 cm and felt right. It definitely seems that the sizes may differ based on manufacturer. so I will have to be careful about size.

I'm in the Chicago downtown area! I'll keep looking and if I find a few more to get some feedback on, I will definitely post it here.

I found this Specialized Bike too. It's about a 90 min drive for me, but could be worth checking out?
Old 08-14-21, 08:16 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Thank you all for your responses (I had to wait 24hrs before I could post more). I'm scheduled to take a look at the Orbea Terra tomorrow. I also went to another local bike store today and the cheapest they had in stock was $1899 (a Kona bike). It was 52 cm and felt right. It definitely seems that the sizes may differ based on manufacturer. so I will have to be careful about size.

I'm in the Chicago downtown area! I'll keep looking and if I find a few more to get some feedback on, I will definitely post it here.

I found this Specialized Bike too. It's about a 90 min drive for me, but could be worth checking out?
I have never ridden an Orbea Terra, but it looks like a bike I could really enjoy. Good luck
Old 08-14-21, 08:47 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
First and most important is how the bike fits you! Buying a bike that doesn't fit even if its a bargain is a waste of cash and time. Second, Not all sizes and or brands are comparable, a 54 Salsa will be much different than a 54 Trek. Consider buying a new Surly crosscheck, this bike can be fast road bike with drop bars or morph into a touring bike with flat bars to suit your style and needs. Best wishes and good luck.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 08-15-21, 12:45 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
For me dealbeakers would be any modifications not listed in the description unless they are for the better. Also, any signs of neglect (rust) or damage from crashes.
Likes For Symox:
Old 08-16-21, 12:04 PM
ssedha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I went and looked at the Orbea! It felt really nice and but I couldn't tell if it was the right frame fit for me. I'll keep looking and checking out more so I can learn more. I've also decided that I am going to try to keep the distance of looking at bikes in person at a minimum level. Driving an hour + just to see a bike is not sustainable unless it's the exact size etc. I know I want. The logistics of bringing the bike back is also challenging as I have a Honda S2000 and no bike racks yet.

Another question for you guys - Is the frame more important or the components that are on the bike? For example, do I need any components of minimum quality? (Shimano Tiagra v 105 v Ultegra). I've found bikes that have Ultegra, and they are priced higher. If I do go to the used side, what components are a must have?

I called another local store and they have a Cannondale CAAD Optimo 1 in stock for $1499 and also a Masi Vincere Tiagra in stock for $1299.
I found another store that is willing to ship a Norco Section A2 to Chicago at my expense. It's priced at $1299.

There are two Trek stores, but I was hoping I could get something a bit more unique

New bikes are definitely scarce.
Old 08-16-21, 12:15 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

The 105 is a great group set. Some call it bullet proof, but that would be an exaggeration. The Ultegra is better only in the respect of it's lighter, or so that is the most commonly held opinion. Nothing wrong with the Tiagra either for most people, me included. I have the 105 2x11 and excepting minor DR adjustments, I have not had any problems with it. Good luck, buying a new bike is always an exciting time.
Old 08-16-21, 04:41 PM
ssedha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this too good to be true?
It's an Orbea Aqua (Seller mentions 2014-2015). I can't seem to find any information on the bike!
Likes For ssedha:
Old 08-16-21, 07:59 PM
CyclesNWeights7

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So I went and looked at the Orbea! It felt really nice and but I couldn't tell if it was the right frame fit for me. I'll keep looking and checking out more so I can learn more. I've also decided that I am going to try to keep the distance of looking at bikes in person at a minimum level. Driving an hour + just to see a bike is not sustainable unless it's the exact size etc. I know I want. The logistics of bringing the bike back is also challenging as I have a Honda S2000 and no bike racks yet.

Another question for you guys - Is the frame more important or the components that are on the bike? For example, do I need any components of minimum quality? (Shimano Tiagra v 105 v Ultegra). I've found bikes that have Ultegra, and they are priced higher. If I do go to the used side, what components are a must have?

I called another local store and they have a Cannondale CAAD Optimo 1 in stock for $1499 and also a Masi Vincere Tiagra in stock for $1299.
I found another store that is willing to ship a Norco Section A2 to Chicago at my expense. It's priced at $1299.

There are two Trek stores, but I was hoping I could get something a bit more unique

New bikes are definitely scarce.
Hey! Brand new here and also from Chicago area (well, southwest suburbs now).
I have a cheap, like 350 dollar Vilano on my trainer but even for an indoor winter bike I’m going to upgrade. That was to get me into the sport and see if I liked it, I fell in love, so it served its purpose.

There’s an unpopular bike brand that I may actually order and modify slightly for a gravel bike - if you’re looking for new entry level it could work. The only downside is the shifters (Microshift vs shimano) but for me it’ll be a project bike in the future when those go out.
Other than that, Craigslist for IL has been either scarce or terribly overpriced. If you can’t find a really good deal locally, try The Pro’s Closet. At least there’s the 30 day refund and buyback guarantee, on top of the inspection.

But I’m still scouring eBay and offer up as well.

Let us know what you end up getting!
Likes For CyclesNWeights7:
Old 08-19-21, 09:34 AM
ssedha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so it seems that most of the used bikes I've considered are still at the $1000 - $1200 range. Which I can get a new bike for if I wait.
I've expanded my search for a new bike a bit and I found LBS that have the following in stock:

- Norco Section A2 - $1299
- Cannondale Synapse Tiagra - $1600
- Cannondale CAAD Optimo 3 - $1200
- Sensa Romanga Disc Tiagra - $1350

I really do like the look of Canyon Endurance AL Disc 6.0, but sadly it won't be available until later this year or in the winter.

The other thing a LBS mentioned was to select a frameset and if they have all the components, they could build a bike in a week or so and would still be around $1500ish. Is that too much of a task for a first proper road bike?

So far, the Norco seems like the best value for money! It's a couple hours away, but it's brand new!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.