Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The need for speed...?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The need for speed...?

Old 08-20-21, 10:49 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But not with your head down staring at your front wheel.
I am glad I am still flexible enough to look up, and look around while riding a drop bar bicycle.
Old 08-20-21, 10:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What does that even mean?
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-20-21, 11:08 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7619 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It means @rydabent hasn't yet learned how to properly ride a diamond-framed bike.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-20-21, 12:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I can’t speak for someone else, but I can speak of how I see it.

In a group, it can be different due to your awareness of the other riders around you.

But riding solo over the same routes over and over, hundreds and hundreds of times, generally does not lend itself to “taking in the scenery” per se. There are sections that can be a bit sketchy with cars, long stretches of monotony (same telephone poles, open areas, etc), fun downhills, etc.

It may not be just staring at the front wheel, but I know the grinding over the same miles, looking at the road and my computer. And there are also really cool sections that you really take in.

But, there are also miles that are just ridden pretty obliviously, except for the splits. For some it becomes point a, point b, etc.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-20-21, 11:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Ride your own ride. Ride what works for you and ignore what doesn’t.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-20-21, 11:20 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I find riding fast enjoyable. Whether it’s riding hard with a tailwind or riding in a tight pace line with other riders. Best of all is a small group of 4 to 6 riders all on the rivet.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 08-21-21, 09:21 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by gregf83
I find riding fast enjoyable. Whether it’s riding hard with a tailwind or riding in a tight pace line with other riders. Best of all is a small group of 4 to 6 riders all on the rivet.
Must agree on this one. Yesterday was riding a backroad with a good tailwind and it pushed me, with a bit of pedaling, to 22-23 MPH for a couple of miles. I felt like Superman and a 30 year old again (am 66). From the responses to this thread, different strokes for different folks, but for me, it is a brief way to recapture a bit of my youth and enjoy the thrill of speed using my and the winds’ power. Now going down a winding downhill at the same pace as the cars is another thrill, but then I used to ski race many years ago and don’t mind taking moderate risks (skydiving and mountain climbing are out, though).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-21-21, 09:41 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 906 Posts
It would seem that your riding buddies have bought their way into aero & rely on eachother to go 20-22mph for 14mph worth of effort.

You, OTOH, seem to have put in at least some amount of "dues." Enough so to at least strengthen your core for proper hill climbing technique & have some cardiovascular capacity to feed your muscles longer. Longer than your buddies, at least.

Hills are what seperates the strong from the weak.

Take the praise. Ride near the front where the slingshot/slinky effect of group dynamics doesn't eject you off the back.

Last edited by base2; 08-21-21 at 09:44 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-21-21, 10:13 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I will not tolerate those who ride at higher or lower rates of speed than I am at the time that I am riding, nor do I have tolerance for those that will inevitably choose to engage in heated discourse with me regarding my very firm stance on the matter.

TL;DR - Only posers and noobs and dweebs and Freds ride faster or slower than me.

Don't bother arguing. I have you on IGNORE.

Last edited by growlerdinky; 08-21-21 at 10:17 AM. Reason: I changed a period to an exclamation point, but changed it back. Sorry not sorry.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 08-23-21, 03:35 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
I will not tolerate those who ride at higher or lower rates of speed than I am at the time that I am riding, nor do I have tolerance for those that will inevitably choose to engage in heated discourse with me regarding my very firm stance on the matter.

TL;DR - Only posers and noobs and dweebs and Freds ride faster or slower than me.

Don't bother arguing. I have you on IGNORE.
Okay, Carlin...
Old 08-23-21, 04:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
Interesting thread. My personal "goals" for road riding are speed and endurance. I like riding timed century events with plenty of climbing. I simply like the challenge and riding with like-minded people. But when I go mountain biking I chill out much more and enjoy the tranquility and interesting terrain. No timing, no power meters, just riding the forest singletrack. It's a whole different mentality. I find riding slow on the road a bit boring if I'm honest. That's not to say I don't enjoy a slow recovery ride, but I wouldn't want to be doing that all of the time. So I expect I will migrate more toward mellow off-road riding as I get older and slower on the road.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-23-21, 04:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Must agree on this one. Yesterday was riding a backroad with a good tailwind and it pushed me, with a bit of pedaling, to 22-23 MPH for a couple of miles. I felt like Superman and a 30 year old again (am 66). From the responses to this thread, different strokes for different folks, but for me, it is a brief way to recapture a bit of my youth and enjoy the thrill of speed using my and the winds’ power. Now going down a winding downhill at the same pace as the cars is another thrill, but then I used to ski race many years ago and don’t mind taking moderate risks (skydiving and mountain climbing are out, though).
You sound very much like me, but I'm just a little younger (53). I also ski and love the thrill of speed on skis and bike. But also draw the line at skydiving and climbing - I'm scared of heights!
I see you are in Seattle. We have a ski condo over the border in Big White (haven't been in the last couple of seasons for obvious reasons!). I love that general area around Seattle, Vancouver and interior BC.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-23-21, 07:10 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
The need for speed.....

Hmm, I have yet to see a person riding a bicycle walk it down hill so they don't go fast.

On the contrary after interviewing a bunch of hills on the downhill side. The hills declared that the advocates against speed are full of used food.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-23-21, 03:25 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by jax rhapsody
okay, carlin...

ignored
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 08-23-21, 08:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
You sound very much like me, but I'm just a little younger (53). I also ski and love the thrill of speed on skis and bike. But also draw the line at skydiving and climbing - I'm scared of heights!
I see you are in Seattle. We have a ski condo over the border in Big White (haven't been in the last couple of seasons for obvious reasons!). I love that general area around Seattle, Vancouver and interior BC.
Have skied Big White and just about froze my @$$ off. Head to the top, ski down to the lodge to warm up. Get back on the lifts to the top, ski down and warm up at the lodge all day long. Couldn’t feel my face or my toes. Man was it cold! Good mountain though. Really enjoyed the runs.

Done some rides up along the boarder. Never forget scaring about a dozen blue Herons out of a very long culvert which was very cool.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-23-21 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-01-21, 10:19 PM
Dustytires

Bikes: Surly Wednesday, Salsa Journeyman, long and short wheelbase recumbents

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a good attitude. I don't care what other cyclists think about how I do things. I don't ride with groups because they are always out for blood. I don't do technical mountain biking anymore because I can't afford to get injured. I embrace the supple life. I mostly ride on dirt roads and national forest and BLM roads at moderate to slow speeds. I too like to enjoy the scenery and stop to look at things. Plus I'm always scouting out good camp sites when I ride because I like to bikepack.
Likes For Dustytires:
Old 09-01-21, 10:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

There are plenty of groups that are not “out for blood.”
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-01-21, 10:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustytires
I don't ride with groups because they are always out for blood.
What group did you ride with? The Medellín Cartel Tuesday evening ride?
Old 09-01-21, 11:09 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
What group did you ride with? The Medellín Cartel Tuesday evening ride?
I started riding more with a group and they definitely want to always go very quickly on the flats (around 24+ mph). It's not for everyone - clearly. For medium rides, it's fine for me but for century rides, I prefer to enjoy the scenery and slowing down but riding in a group, you are always so focused on keeping up (and drafting as much as possible) and looking down-not looking up.

But, honestly, when I observe the other riders, I don't really see people enjoying riding in a group; I see people just barely keeping up.
Old 09-02-21, 05:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustytires
That's a good attitude. I don't care what other cyclists think about how I do things. I don't ride with groups because they are always out for blood. I don't do technical mountain biking anymore because I can't afford to get injured. I embrace the supple life. I mostly ride on dirt roads and national forest and BLM roads at moderate to slow speeds. I too like to enjoy the scenery and stop to look at things. Plus I'm always scouting out good camp sites when I ride because I like to bikepack.
My wife has been encouraging me to try yoga. Maybe someday.
Old 09-02-21, 08:53 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by cj3209
I started riding more with a group and they definitely want to always go very quickly on the flats (around 24+ mph). It's not for everyone - clearly. For medium rides, it's fine for me but for century rides, I prefer to enjoy the scenery and slowing down but riding in a group, you are always so focused on keeping up (and drafting as much as possible) and looking down-not looking up.

But, honestly, when I observe the other riders, I don't really see people enjoying riding in a group; I see people just barely keeping up.
If they don’t enjoy it, why do you think people go on group rides?
Old 09-02-21, 09:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7619 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
We probably all think (if it weren't a point of contention in this thread) that most group rides are motivated by a few guys who like to hammer, and a lot of people who want to keep up .... all of whom put a premium on their ability to "suffer." "Sufferfest" is not a word invented by slow riders.

Not saying Every group is "out for blood," but on almost every group ride I have ever been on, even the "Recovery Ride" or "New Rider" rides ... the fast guys got bored and the competitive guys chased.

And while a lot of cyclist like to go slow and at least glimpse the roses ... a lot of riders see riding as highly competitive, and judge the quality of the ride by how long they were able to ride so hard every moment was incredibly unpleasant. There is a huge group of ridders---we all know it--who really do value painful riding.

That is fine, too. If they see the bike as a tool for testing their ability to exert themselves to ever higher limits, ... nothing wrong with that. Some people walk, some jog, some run, some race. Some people do a morning warm-up/tune-up with three-pound dumbbells, some try to maintain a pretty good level of muscle but not bulk up, some try to get stronger and stronger, and some go for max effort--and some are actually into body-building. All good.

I don't do many group rides because it is hard to find a group that feels like I do on any given day. Not the the group's fault, not my fault, nobody's fault. I do what I do, I accept that others can do the same.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-02-21, 09:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,162 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
I started riding more with a group and they definitely want to always go very quickly on the flats (around 24+ mph).
Not all groups ride at 24+ mph. In fact, most do not.
Old 09-02-21, 09:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Does the group the OP rides with include some fighter pilots with nicknames like Iceman and Goose? Maybe a guy named Maverick? Just wondering.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-02-21, 10:07 AM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
My wife has been encouraging me to try yoga. Maybe someday.
Try it. You might like it. I used to make fun of yoga thinking it was just glorified stretching but after my first hot session, I was hooked.

Likes For cj3209:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.