Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Sram 1:1 vs Exact Actuation (X7, X5)

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-01-21, 08:57 AM
Draghmar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All.
That's a quick question that is bothering me (I hope it's a quick and easy one ). I'm trying to understand how does it work. I had accident after which my X7 is no longer usable. I wanted to buy a new one but it looks like there's no X7 any more...at least locally. So I wanted to buy the next thing available, which is X5. The best deal I found is for 10 speed version. I wonder though - does X5 10 speed rear derailleur works with 9 speed X7 shifter and 9 speed cassette (11-36T)? I've read different opinions on this matter and Sram website doesn't help here either. My old X7 had 1:1 marking and those 10 speeds have Exact Actuation. But then again the shifter is 1:1 so in theory rear derailleur should move properly...I'm confused.
Old 09-02-21, 08:13 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Plenty X5 9 speed out there.

https://www.performancebike.com/sram...SABEgJDh_D_BwE

https://cambriabike.com/products/sra...iABEgJFjPD_BwE

https://www.nashbar.com/sram-x5-rear...CABEgJDCPD_BwE

https://www.raysbike.com/product/sra...yABEgI7MfD_BwE
Old 09-02-21, 08:24 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
"1:1" up to 9 speed and "X-Actuation" 11-12 speed RD's are the same ratio, or at least kind of the same enough to work, and they are also kind-of-same as Shimano Dyna-Sys (MTB 10+)

10 speed is the odd man out for SRAM. The "Exact Actuation" ratio matches the cable pull of their road shifters. In fact they used to sell a "climbing kit" that was an 11-36 cassette, longer chain, and Rival-decal MTB RD to fit on a road bike.

You can definitely see this comparing a 1x RD from road to mountain. They are nearly the same at equivalent level except for the bit where the cable comes in.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-02-21, 08:57 AM
Draghmar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Plenty X5 9 speed out there.
Yup, they are also available here, in Poland but there aren't too many of them. Some are 10 speed, some are only silver (I want black) and some don't have a choice of cage.

"1:1" up to 9 speed and "X-Actuation" 11-12 speed RD's are the same ratio, or at least kind of the same enough to work, and they are also kind-of-same as Shimano Dyna-Sys (MTB 10+)

10 speed is the odd man out for SRAM. The "Exact Actuation" ratio matches the cable pull of their road shifters. In fact they used to sell a "climbing kit" that was an 11-36 cassette, longer chain, and Rival-decal MTB RD to fit on a road bike.

You can definitely see this comparing a 1x RD from road to mountain. They are nearly the same at equivalent level except for the bit where the cable comes in.
Ok, but it doesn't answer the most crucial question here (at least I don't see it ). Will 10 speed, Exact Actuation rear derailleur work with 9 speed shifter and cassette?
Old 09-02-21, 09:18 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Just buy the 9 speed online and be done with it.
Old 09-02-21, 06:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Draghmar
Will 10 speed, Exact Actuation rear derailleur work with 9 speed shifter and cassette?
No.
Genesis 49:16-17