Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does Clothing Matter?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does Clothing Matter?

Old 09-04-21, 08:16 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Cycling clothing should match your intensity.
Clothing should match the weather.
Clothing is a tool, the samezas any other tool. Pick the correct tool for the job.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-04-21, 08:20 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
If you do something a lot and friction is involved then the contact points matter.

Runners vaseline or tape their nipples for pete’s sake. If you ride enough and sweat doing so friction is an enemy.

-saddle fits butt shape and power output

-padded shorts because that way the cushion moves with you, permanent saddle pads are crap as it doesn’t move with you

-chamois buttr because friction reducer

-tight clothes because modern materials aid sweat wicking and tight clothes don’t snag on saddles or other stuff

-I loathe stopping to eat, so eff a tshirt….bike jersey convenient food or tool storage. Reach back, grab snack, eat! Enjoy wind and sights riding. I can stand idle at home!

Spend money on the contact points:
-matresses
-clothes
-shoes
-eye glasses
-etc……
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-04-21, 08:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 549 Posts
I can do 20 miles a day 5 days a week on my commute in my work clothes. but when I hop on the tandem in the evenings or weekends wear cycling clothes. my body wont allow non padded shorts after the commute. I would wear more regular shirts but I need the pockets. what sucks with cycling clothes in the winter here in portland if we stop and rest we freeze.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 09-04-21, 08:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I’ll be wearing NOT SHORTS and a Rapha jersey to Brooklyn tomorrow.
Old 09-04-21, 08:44 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Unless your racing anything works unless your going for those strava mup koms. But of course you got the "I wear the most expensive **** just because it happens to work best for me" crowd.
Old 09-04-21, 08:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Yo, Indyfabz .... I always figured you for a big LL Cool J fan ....

Old 09-04-21, 08:50 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,092 Posts
In my experience it depends on the bike, the saddle, the ride and the rider. It is too cold here for me to ride regularly year round. In the early parts of my cycling season, I have to toughen my tuchus. Once I have that done, shorter 20 or so mile rides are fine in running shorts. Longer rides I like padded shorts.

I wish GPS would have been around in the late 70s because I'm pretty sure I rode more miles in cutoff jean shorts than I do now in lycra.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-04-21, 10:32 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have found quite a few very affordable pieces of very functional, stylish cycling clothing from non-name manufacturers. There are those who can afford Assos, Castelli and other high end brands, but what I have found does what it is supposed to do for cooling, wicking and comfort on 50-60 mile rides and saves me a lot of coin. No need to wear cargo shorts and T shirts (unless you want to) when you can find affordable cycling specific clothing for a few dollars more.
Yeah, good quality clothes can be found at reasonable prices. Having the actual premium level stuff, the budget offerings aren't that good but you get 90% of the product for 50-30% of the price.

My go to training clothes are one-piece roadsuits from Decathlon, which is an European big box sports store chain, which are their top shelf stuff at around 100 Euro a piece. They're just good in every way. Sure, Castelli road suit has slightly better materials but it cost basically double. Perfectly usable although basic bike shorts can be had for under 10€ and I have a stack of those which I use for the indoor trainer and the odd training ride, never given me grief. I have an Aliexpress trisuit which I use for training and used in races without issue which cost under $50 (just have to size up ordering from China - I wear S in Euro sizing, XS in USA sizing and L in Chinese)
​​​​​
So, you don't need to spend a ton. That said, I do love my Castelli stuff.
Old 09-04-21, 11:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The more comfortable I am, the more I enjoy the ride, and I am most comfortable in good quality, well fitted jersey and bibs. I’m a big believer in paying whatever is necessary for contact points, so I don’t cheap out on saddles, shoes, bibs, etc.

That said, if I’m just riding to work, I typically just wear office clothes.
Old 09-05-21, 12:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
It matters. Bicycling is a tribal sport. For such a simple activity, there seems to be a very large number of tribal variations. The clothes that you choose to wear tell the rest of us to which tribe you belong.
Old 09-05-21, 01:41 AM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is a perennially popular subject for trollery and inverse snobbery
Lurking on this and other cycling forums and I’ve seen way more of the snobbery going towards the lycra crowd than from the lycra crowd.
Likes For ChamoisDavisJr:
Old 09-05-21, 01:53 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Floppy clothes on road rides suck. Especially shirts unless you never want to carry anything in jersey pockets. Stop caring what people may think when they see you. This seems to be the main issue.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 09-05-21, 03:31 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 644 Posts
Cycling clothes that look like normal clothes exist. There’s a time and place for tight jerseys and bibs as well as normal clothes
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-05-21, 04:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Do clothes matter?

Why ask me? Do your own experiment.

First day, go for a 20 mile ride in full cycling gear, the best you can beg or borrow.

Next day, same ride, cut-offs, flip-flops, tank top.

Third day, go naked.

In most of the places I have ridden .... the answers will be absolutely clear by the end of the test.
Old 09-05-21, 05:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

BTW, I find cotton extremely comfortable and cooling. A lot of people do. That's why t shirts are go to summer wear for so many people.
I heard people say that cotton kills but my experience tells me otherwise. I've never heard of anybody getting killed by cotton.
Old 09-05-21, 06:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Do clothes matter?

Why ask me? Do your own experiment.

First day, go for a 20 mile ride in full cycling gear, the best you can beg or borrow.

Next day, same ride, cut-offs, flip-flops, tank top.

Third day, go naked.

In most of the places I have ridden .... the answers will be absolutely clear by the end of the test.

I think the funny thing about this thread is that the OP seems to have run that experiment and discovered they really don't want to wear cycling kit. They're uncomfortable with that because a bunch of people are telling them that's wrong.

That said, I agree with you that op should experiment with this with the new road bike. OP already has the clothes, but wasn't using them much anymore.
Old 09-05-21, 06:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
I own some lycra shorts and some cycling jerseys, and I've worn them, but these days I mostly find myself wearing civilian t-shirt and shorts when I ride. On a FB group awhile back, someone was asking for recommendations on clothing, and I was about to respond to the effect that it hardly matters, but then I saw someone had posted quite the opposite, suggesting it's very important and that you should spend as much as you can afford, because you get what you pay for. That exchange has been sulking in the back of my head for awhile. Now I've just acquired my first legit road bike, and I'm wondering what I'm missing in the clothing department.

I thought I'd ask the group here: What benefits do cycling wear bring, and how significant are those benefits?

This isn't an argument or a suggestion, just info. I rode my road bike 100 miles yesterday and am about to take a 70 mile ride on it today. Both days, I'm wearing tight tshirts and cargo shorts. Been doing this for several years.
Old 09-05-21, 07:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Unless your racing anything works
Maybe for you it does. Definitely doesn't work for me though. I find cycling clothing massively more comfortable to ride in than my casual everyday clothing. If it wasn't then I wouldn't bother with it. People who ride a lot can figure this stuff out for themselves and everyone I know who rides a lot wears cycling clothing, of which there is a vast range of options and pricing to suit any budget and style. Even the simple cut (long back, short front, close fitting) and rear pockets of a cycling jersey are enough for me to choose one over say a running jersey.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-05-21, 07:53 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Not being a cycling Peacock I wear T-shirts, and rugby shorts.
Old 09-05-21, 08:00 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is a perennially popular subject for trollery and inverse snobbery. Aside from that, ride awhile and you'll figure out what you like.

This thread is over. Winner (chicken dinner).
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 09-05-21, 08:01 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 704 Posts
My preferred outfit is cargo shorts, a t-shirt and wool boxer briefs unless I'm racing. Cycling clothing matters a lot for speed, there's lots of wind tests from Zipp, Specialized, Trek, GCN and others that show how much of an effect loose clothing can have on speed. Comfort-wise I don't like padded shorts and for me they create rubbing issues, I don't find cotton to be that bad and I like my comfort. All up to you
Old 09-05-21, 08:29 AM
Turnip5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess

😶 r
Old 09-05-21, 08:29 AM
Turnip5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fff

I just like what’s comfortable .
Old 09-05-21, 08:42 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 1,110 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
I thought I'd ask the group here: What benefits do cycling wear bring, and how significant are those benefits?
Ride nekkid and see how far you get. Whether that's significant depends on whether you do this in front of a furry convention.
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-05-21, 09:53 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
For me, the only important aspects are the contact points: feet, hands, and butt. I wear clothing that keeps those parts comfortable, functional, and protected. I rarely concern myself with the rest of the ensemble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.