Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does Clothing Matter?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does Clothing Matter?

Old 09-05-21, 10:04 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Not being a cycling Peacock I wear T-shirts, and rugby shorts.
Yeah, I've found that apparel doesn't matter much when I'm in the recliner, either.
Old 09-05-21, 10:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

I think I'd pay money to see a cycling peacock.

Nice childish name-calling, btw.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-05-21, 10:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,469 Times in 5,875 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Unless your racing anything works unless your going for those strava mup koms. But of course you got the "I wear the most expensive **** just because it happens to work best for me" crowd.
Unless my racing...what?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-05-21, 10:33 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
BF never, and I mean never EVER, disappoints. Who would buy/wear cycling-specific apparel whilst actually cycling? Who, on BF, actually rides? (Hint: it’s the same people.)

Who wears Homer Depose clothing, cotton pants, work gloves and workshop safety glasses with their flat pedals when they roll out for their thrice-monthly “ride” around the sidewalks? No hints needed.

There are reasons why cycling clothing exists, just as there are reasons for swimwear. Sure, you can jump off a rope swing in cutoff jeans, and you’ll still get wet. Not very many lap-swimmers in cutoff jeans, though. Yeah, you can throw a football in office attire. I wanna see you take a hit behind the line dressed like that. Et cetera, et tu, Brutus, and Peter Cetera.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-05-21, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
Lurking on this and other cycling forums and I’ve seen way more of the snobbery going towards the lycra crowd than from the lycra crowd.

I'm definitely in the non-lycra camp as far as my habits go, but as far as this thread, I agree with you. I want nothing to do with the anti-kit wearing insults.

Saves a lot of aggravation if we don't assume our rightful place in the world is to convince others of the errors of their ways. There's entirely too much of that on both sides of this completely trivial issue.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-05-21, 10:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
BF never, and I mean never EVER, disappoints. Who would buy/wear cycling-specific apparel whilst actually cycling? Who, on BF, actually rides? (Hint: it’s the same people.)

Who wears Homer Depose clothing, cotton pants, work gloves and workshop safety glasses with their flat pedals when they roll out for their thrice-monthly “ride” around the sidewalks? No hints needed.

There are reasons why cycling clothing exists, just as there are reasons for swimwear. Sure, you can jump off a rope swing in cutoff jeans, and you’ll still get wet. Not very many lap-swimmers in cutoff jeans, though. Yeah, you can throw a football in office attire. I wanna see you take a hit behind the line dressed like that. Et cetera, et tu, Brutus, and Peter Cetera.

Oh, look everybody, Cycling Kit Karen is back. You never fail to disappoint by posting this same insipid "no true Scotsman" nonsense. I'm pretty sure I ride at least as much as you do and I'm pretty intense when I ride. This forum is chock full of people who ride a lot and don't wear cycling clothes. This upsets you for some reason, and you never get tired of making sure everyone knows you don't approve. Maybe give it a rest for a while? "Cycling clothes exist so you need to wear them or you're not really cycling" is a pretty lame thing to assert once let alone repeat in several threads.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-05-21, 10:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Yeah, good quality clothes can be found at reasonable prices. Having the actual premium level stuff, the budget offerings aren't that good but you get 90% of the product for 50-30% of the price.

My go to training clothes are one-piece roadsuits from Decathlon, which is an European big box sports store chain, which are their top shelf stuff at around 100 Euro a piece. They're just good in every way. Sure, Castelli road suit has slightly better materials but it cost basically double. Perfectly usable although basic bike shorts can be had for under 10€ and I have a stack of those which I use for the indoor trainer and the odd training ride, never given me grief. I have an Aliexpress trisuit which I use for training and used in races without issue which cost under $50 (just have to size up ordering from China - I wear S in Euro sizing, XS in USA sizing and L in Chinese)
​​​​​
So, you don't need to spend a ton. That said, I do love my Castelli stuff.
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered 2 pairs of hiking shorts. Have one jersey on back order

Old 09-05-21, 11:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Here's the thing - if you wear what my wife likes to refer to as "Bike Togs" because of what other people will think of you, or if you AVOID wearing them because of what other people will think of you, you're letting other people tell you what to do. Wear what works, as long as it's legal*, and assume others are doing the same.

*(because that's the one case where you should let people tell you what to do)

Last edited by genejockey; 09-05-21 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 11:42 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This forum is chock full of people who ride a lot and don't wear cycling clothes.
This forum is also chock full o’ nuts. Welcome. Try not to sound so wounded about imaginary people mocking you personally for wearing street clothes while “riding” your bike with intensity. No one in this post cares about what you wear, personally. It’s not about you. True talk, HTFU.

People can do whatever they want, and, well, they will. Good times…

Last edited by AdkMtnMonster; 09-05-21 at 11:45 AM.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-05-21, 02:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This forum is also chock full o’ nuts. Welcome. Try not to sound so wounded about imaginary people mocking you personally for wearing street clothes while “riding” your bike with intensity. No one in this post cares about what you wear, personally. It’s not about you. True talk, HTFU.

People can do whatever they want, and, well, they will. Good times…
So do you really have no short-term memory or do you really think anyone is stupid enough to miss the generalized insult of anyone who doesn't wear cycling kit in your first post?

BTW, people who are claiming the lycra snobbery doesn't exist on BF, this is your guy.
Old 09-05-21, 02:14 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So do you really have no short-term memory or do you really think anyone is stupid enough to miss the generalized insult of anyone who doesn't wear cycling kit in your first post?

BTW, people who are claiming the lycra snobbery doesn't exist on BF, this is your guy.
In your haste to slobber all over this thread, you failed to read my last sentence of the second post you quoted. I find your brand of comedy refreshing and inviting. Well done. You may now wear whatever you choose, whenever you choose, with my blessing. (That should validate your feelings since you’re so worried about my views.) First beer is my treat; after that you’re on your own. Cheers!
Old 09-05-21, 03:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In your haste to slobber all over this thread, you failed to read my last sentence of the second post you quoted. I find your brand of comedy refreshing and inviting. Well done. You may now wear whatever you choose, whenever you choose, with my blessing. (That should validate your feelings since you’re so worried about my views.) First beer is my treat; after that you’re on your own. Cheers!
Wrongo buddy. My point was that the last sentence of your second post was a rather clumsy attempt on your part to distract away from the generalized (not just me) insults in the first post. I take it from your pathetic attempt to deny the clear meaning of your first post that even you know it was stupid.

And feel free to wear the beer on your head.
Old 09-05-21, 03:06 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Well, think of cycling clothing this way.

Instead of riding at 31 km/hr in casual street clothes you are going to go at 32 km/hr in race fit cycling clothes with no extra effort, and will almost certainly be overall more comfortable doing it on top. That's like the difference between a really expensive aero road bike with carbon fiber wheels and a generic budget road bike, and it costs a hundred or so dollars.

So, basically, you get a huge amount of value out of it, if you can just get over what will people think.
Old 09-05-21, 03:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
...if you can just get over what will people think.
If we are adults riding a bike in the US, we are well over that issue.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-05-21, 03:44 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
This thread went exactly as I thought it would. I don't even dare to suggest people should even try wearing "cycling" clothing any more. It's just like the other thread where someone asked what shoes to wear for cycling. Any suggestion of wearing actual cycling shoes was soon battered down by the usual suspects. Just because they choose to ride in pretty much anything else but cycling gear. Then back in real life you go to GF/Sportive events, club rides etc and nearly everyone is wearing some form of functional cycling kit.

Cotton FFS! People are even recommending cotton T-shirts for cycling. Do these people not have sweat glands or something?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-05-21, 04:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 1,046 Posts
October 2019 I went JRA on my commuter, wearing jeans, cotton tee, and sandals. Crashed and broke my neck.

OTOH, I've ridden a bajillion miles in lycra, never broke my neck.

Cotton may not (always) kill, but it sure tried.

Save your neck, ride in lycra.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-05-21, 04:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
No one in this post cares about what you wear, personally. It’s not about you. True talk, HTFU.
Not particularly eager to jump into the cesspool you are busily filling but ... This Thread Is About What People Wear While Riding.

Sorry, but nowhere in the thread does the OP say "I want to know what people wear while riding ... except I Don't want to hear from Livedarklions."

Originally Posted by UnCruel
I own some lycra shorts and some cycling jerseys, and I've worn them, but these days I mostly find myself wearing civilian t-shirt and shorts when I ride. ... I thought I'd ask the group here: What benefits do cycling wear bring, and how significant are those benefits?
Seems to me the OP would Welcome hearing from people who wore clothing similar to his .... but hey .... go ahead and keep filling that cesspool.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-05-21, 04:17 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
This question comes up a lot. I wear different clothes depending on what I’m riding.

For 35 years I’ve worn lycra when I ride my road bike. It doesn’t matter the length of the ride, I’ve always worn it. But I’ve never worn team/logo jerseys.

The multicolor logo emblazon billboard jerseys just didn’t interest my getting out and riding. Plus I would never want to be that guy who wants to look pro but routinely gets passed. I’d typically wear bright yellow in traffic to be more visible, even if it is just wishful thinking. I am more particular with cycling shorts, as I like more compression. It is just what I’ve done for years and it is for my comfort.

I have padded underwear for mountain biking, but since more of my current rides are around an hour, I just wear nylon cargo shorts without any padding. I like polyester, non-jersey type, workout shirts in both short and long sleeve. They wick the sweat away pretty well.

For just easy riding on my flat bar, it is cargo shorts and a cotton T. Sometimes a poly T if it is hot.

I also wear cycling shoes road biking and hiking shoes mtb and casual.

People should just wear what is comfortable, unless there is a desire to promote a certain image. In that case, go for it; regardless of the image you want to reflect.

John

Edit Added: Correction… I do wear an ADR reproduction jersey the month of July each year.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 09-05-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 04:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Just to even things out, I wear a cycling jersey and bibs when I play rugby.
Old 09-05-21, 05:05 PM
rumstove
Riding after dark

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Here are some things I've found I like that I already owned (didn't buy them specifically for biking):
- Wearing a plain ole' cotton t-shirt is a no go for me. I have some Nike Dri-Fit t-shirts that I like. I also found some Athletic Works shirts at Walmart for $6.88 that are 100% Polyester/Mini honeycomb mesh that work (they're also great for kayaking in warm weather).
- Any shorts that aren't baggy (like basketball shorts) but have decent lightweight material. My favorite is a pair of Simms SolarFlex which are a nylon spandex blend. They aren't too baggy and are a lightweight material. They probably aren't great for rides longer than mine though because the material is quite thin so there's no padding.
- In the TMI department I like to wear some breathable (poly/spandex blend) boxer briefs when riding. I normally wear regular boxers but those aren't good for riding...need to hold things in place.

My rides are short compared to probably 95% of the riders on the forum and I while I use Strava I don't go for PRs. I've been riding for years but I don't (yet) own any bike-specific clothing mainly because of the price and lack of selection locally (I prefer to try stuff on first). I mainly ride on roads and bike trails (both paved and gravel) with a little bit of single track thrown in when I want to ride my old Rockhopper.

OP mentioned just getting their first legit road bike. If that were me I'd probably give the bike-specific clothing a try again. While the shirts I wear are comfy for my riding I can only guess they'd be flapping in the breeze if I was really pushing on the drops of a road bike. I'd like to get some bike-specific clothing, mainly shorts. The pockets in jerseys would be useful as well I think. Hopefully next time I'm out of town I can stop at a couple bigger bike shops and find some things on the sale rack.
Old 09-05-21, 05:28 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not particularly eager to jump into the cesspool you are busily filling but ... This Thread Is About What People Wear While Riding.

Sorry, but nowhere in the thread does the OP say "I want to know what people wear while riding ... except I Don't want to hear from Livedarklions."

Seems to me the OP would Welcome hearing from people who wore clothing similar to his .... but hey .... go ahead and keep filling that cesspool.
I was wearing some pretty expensive cycling gear while I read that post, and it had zero effect whatsoever. I’ll try again in cotton baggy shorts and some casual shoes and see how it goes.

You can wear whatever you want when you ride. As long as you get out there, who cares, right?
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-05-21, 05:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
It is hard to talk about the benefits of cycling wear if you don't actually wear any. I thought the OP really wanted to hear about significant benefits, of which there are plenty. It doesn't mean you can't go biking in flip-flops and jorts, but there are benefits to cycling wear nonetheless. That's the primary reason cycling wear exists in the first place. If there were no benefits then there would be no such thing as cycling wear. Like there is no specific wear for playing chess.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-05-21, 06:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
I own some lycra shorts and some cycling jerseys, and I've worn them, but these days I mostly find myself wearing civilian t-shirt and shorts when I ride. On a FB group awhile back, someone was asking for recommendations on clothing, and I was about to respond to the effect that it hardly matters, but then I saw someone had posted quite the opposite, suggesting it's very important and that you should spend as much as you can afford, because you get what you pay for. That exchange has been sulking in the back of my head for awhile. Now I've just acquired my first legit road bike, and I'm wondering what I'm missing in the clothing department.

I thought I'd ask the group here: What benefits do cycling wear bring, and how significant are those benefits?
To actually answer the OP’s question, the benefits include proper cut to fit without bunching or sagging while you are in the riding position ( as opposed to sitting up straight), a lack of seams in sensitive places, leg grippers to keep shorts in place, snug shorts that don’t snag the saddle nose when you sit down, jersey pockets to hold my stuff securely, reflective trim. Oh, and a chamois pad.

The longer and harder the ride, the more significant those benefits become. If you’re just riding to the cafe, probably not. If you’re doing a century or hitting the Tuesday Night Worlds, for sure.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-05-21, 07:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Someone trying not to be a jerk might have said, "Because I ride a recumbent, the interface with the bike is different from an upright bike, so I don't find any advantage in standard cycling clothes for my riding."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-05-21, 08:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
This thread went exactly as I thought it would. I don't even dare to suggest people should even try wearing "cycling" clothing any more. It's just like the other thread where someone asked what shoes to wear for cycling. Any suggestion of wearing actual cycling shoes was soon battered down by the usual suspects. Just because they choose to ride in pretty much anything else but cycling gear. Then back in real life you go to GF/Sportive events, club rides etc and nearly everyone is wearing some form of functional cycling kit.

Cotton FFS! People are even recommending cotton T-shirts for cycling. Do these people not have sweat glands or something?

I didn't recommend jack, and I certainly never said don't try something. All I said is I'm comfortable in cotton tshirts. I sweat, and the shirts wick the sweat and dry, cooling me off. That's how perspiring is supposed to work, right?!

You have a very creative account of what happened in the other threads that bears no relationship to reality.

This is General Cycling, btw, are you under the impression that GF/ sportive events and club rides are the standard type of riding?

Quit scolding people for saying they wear different stuff than you do.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-05-21 at 08:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.