Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Carbon frame repair shop - San Diego

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 04:00 PM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

I hit debris in the bike lane this morning and one of my seat-stays took a direct hit on the edge of the curb. I am looking to find a local place to do the repair (and inspect the rest of the frame). The old posts asking this seem to reference "carbon frame repair" in Cardiff but they seem to be out of business.

Can anyone suggest a shop to handle this (2017 Spz Roubaix fwiw)
Old 09-06-21, 09:11 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
my carbon repair guy that was in escondido (last used in 2013) is no longer showing up in google searches and the old website doesn't seem to be valid anymore.

wish i could have referred him to help you. eight years is an eternity with everything that's gone down since then.
Old 09-06-21, 09:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Two places that do repairs are: You may have to ship.

Ruckus Composites (Portland, OR)
Calfee (La Selva Beach, CA)
Old 09-07-21, 01:12 PM
tedder987

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
All, thanks, I just emailed Calfee with some pics to see if its repairable. The guy at the bike shop though it was pretty iffy because of the crack where the derailleur cable exits. For your enjoyment, here is what the damage looks like ...
Old 09-08-21, 01:59 PM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
While not in San Diego, check out Element 6 in Costa Mesa. They did a great repair on my Giant Revolt.
Old 09-09-21, 08:42 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tedder987
All, thanks, I just emailed Calfee with some pics to see if its repairable. The guy at the bike shop though it was pretty iffy because of the crack where the derailleur cable exits. For your enjoyment, here is what the damage looks like ...
Wow, what did you hit? Were you riding on the road or on a trail somewhere? I'm currently putting together a carbon bike, but I'm keeping my alloy bike just in case the carbon frame gets damaged like this!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 09-09-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-09-21, 06:49 PM
tedder987

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Wow, what did you hit? Were you riding on the road or on a trail somewhere? I'm currently putting together a carbon bike, but I'm keeping my alloy bike just in case the carbon frame gets damaged like this!
Jonathan, I hit one of these https://rangerlock.com/single-crossbar/ that apparently fell off the truck it was supposed to be protecting from theivery. I had about 23,000 miles on my carbon frame before it happened which is way more than I have put on any metal bikes I ever owned. I think that had I not hit the edge of the sidewalk curb it might have been reparable, but c'est la vie.

FWIW It was on a bike lane next to a road that had been trenched and covered with metal plates.

Fundamentally the crash was because I was too close to the riders in front of me (~15' or 2 bike lengths, or ~a 1 second follow). There were other factors (I was distracted by another rider passing, the riders in front were 3 across so I could not see past them) but those factors should have made me hang back further.

FWIW the big issue is not the "big" crush damage on the seat stay. That is repairable relatively ($300) cheaply. The problem is the crack by the exiting cable just above the dropout. The carbon repair shops have said they could try, but may not be able to fix it without it affecting the derailleur hanger position, and would not warranty it. Looks like I need a new frame. I am sure an AL/steel/Ti frame would be more likely (but not certainly) repairable. But they would also have other compromises that I might not have appreciated over the last 5 years.

I loved my Roubaix, and despite this want another one, carbon and all.
Likes For tedder987:
Old 09-15-21, 06:02 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Not in San Diego but I've had a repair done at Premier Bicycle Werks in Orange, CA. Paint work wasn't the best, but the frame is fixed.

There's also Montenegro Mfg in Los Angeles. I've only had paint work there but I hear good things about their carbon repairs.