Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

One Set of Wheels, Two Sets of Tyres

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-10-21, 01:26 AM
Champ340

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi there,

I have a Surly Midnight Special and have been running tubed GP5000's in 32mm. Great tyre. Super fast and awesome for road riding.

I always planned on getting two sets of wheels, one with the GP5000 and one with a nice wide tyre for the very occasional gravel ride.

To save money that I don't have I'm interested in people's opinions and whether this is something they do. Eg buy another set of wide tyres to change into whenever I do the occasional gravel ride.

Is it a pain to be constantly changing tyres or no big deal? I plan to run tubes on both. The wide tyres are going to be the Specialized Pathfinder Pro in 42mm 700C. Any reviews on how these tyres perform?

Also interested in people's experiences with 42mm 700C tyres and how they go with the Surly MS. This is the stated max size from Surly for 700C. How is the tyre clearance? For reference my wheels are 19mm width.

Many thanks!
Old 09-10-21, 02:55 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ340
To save money that I don't have I'm interested in people's opinions and whether this is something they do. Eg buy another set of wide tyres to change into whenever I do the occasional gravel ride.

Is it a pain to be constantly changing tyres or no big deal? I plan to run tubes on both. The wide tyres are going to be the Specialized Pathfinder Pro in 42mm 700C. Any reviews on how these tyres perform?

Also interested in people's experiences with 42mm 700C tyres and how they go with the Surly MS. This is the stated max size from Surly for 700C. How is the tyre clearance? For reference my wheels are 19mm width.
Line by line:

1) Yes, I used to do that. Over the last 7-8 years as I acquired more bikes (and divested of a car), and then came upon a few extra wheelsets, it was no longer necessary, but really, it is doable and I wouldn't think it out of the ordinary. And from a cost perspective, it is certainly a much more economical option than buying another set of wheels, rotors, and a cassette.

2) No, with a caveat. If you did decide to run your tires tubeless, it will be messy and could be a hassle with getting tires seated and such. With tubes, however, it's a 15 minute long process, with breaks to sip on your preferred beverage so you don't become dehydrated.

3) The Pathfinder Pro is an excellent all around tire. It won't work well in muddy conditions, or permit aggressive riding on wet grass. Other than that, it is a good tire for pavement all the way to chunky gravel and cobblestones. I ride 700x38s, and contemplate 42s, but the 38s do for me what I need. I can't comment on how they'd work specifically with your frame, in 42mm width, but if there is a question about fitment, the 38s should easily work, and having ridden several imperial century length gravel races this summer in Belgium on all sorts of surfaces, I've never wished for more tire. I do run mine tubeless at 2.5 bar, occasionally down to 2.1, I think with tubes I'd probably stay above 2.8. They are not sluggish feeling at all, and they turn very predictably with no "wallow" when leaned over.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-10-21, 05:38 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 261 Posts
Answer to the one set of wheel and two sets of tires. I do that now but plan on a second set of wheels in the future. But for now I ride mostly road so have only switched a few times in the last two months. One trick I use is to keep the tubes inflated enough to stay in the unmounted tires.

The rear through axles is a pain and I still have not mastered getting it back on. Off is easier. May just need a second bike more gravel touring.
Old 09-10-21, 06:19 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Anything's possible, but it wouldn't work for me. I don't mind bike maintenance, but the thought of swapping tires to go for a gravel ride would in all likelihood prevent me from going on a gravel ride.
Old 09-10-21, 06:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Swapping tubed tires should take just a few minutes. I guess it depends on what "very occasional" means to you. Once every few weeks would be OK with me. Every week and I'd be thinking about wheels.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-10-21, 06:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Yeah, define 'occasional'. If its Once a month, I guess that isnt bad. If its once a week, I sure wouldnt want to swap out tires that frequently.
If its once a week, I would just put quality wider tires on and be done. Use those for all road and unpaved riding.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-10-21, 08:29 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Anything's possible, but it wouldn't work for me. I don't mind bike maintenance, but the thought of swapping tires to go for a gravel ride would in all likelihood prevent me from going on a gravel ride.
This is 100% accurate. I am already thinking of skipping a group gravel ride on Sunday for this exact reason. My new wheelset won't be here for 4 weeks, and swapping between road and CX tires on a single wheelset has quickly become annoying. I'm also now running tubeless tires with inner tubes just to make swapping easier, which is dumb.

EDIT: I'd say anything more than once a week is not realistic. I'm basically swapping tires every weekend, and then selecting the riding type for the next week as a result of that tire choice. I had planned on just running a gravel/CX tire all fall, but these tires get annoying on long paved road rides, so I'm either avoiding those, or avoiding gravel.

Last edited by msu2001la; 09-10-21 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-10-21, 05:25 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll get the tyres and if it's too hard to live with swapping them over then in time will buy a second wheelset.

As to the question about how frequently. I have no gravel near me so it will just be the very occasional gravel ride, once or twice a month.
Old 09-10-21, 06:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
One advantage of being a rim-brake holdout is that I've picked up a bunch of nice wheels for a song. It's just so nice and convenient to throw on a different set of wheels in literally less than a minute.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-10-21, 08:16 PM
Champ340

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
One advantage of being a rim-brake holdout is that I've picked up a bunch of nice wheels for a song. It's just so nice and convenient to throw on a different set of wheels in literally less than a minute.
For sure mate! I've picked up some great deals for my rim brake bike. I think going forward there are going to be even better deals as disk brakes take over.
Old 09-10-21, 08:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
I'm willing to swap tires twice a year on my fixed-gear (studded in winter), but any more often than that, I'd want another set of wheels.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-11-21, 06:31 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 483 Posts
For me, its a no-go. New York streets are filthy. I don't touch the tires more than I have to.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-11-21, 12:15 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Is it a pain to be constantly changing tyres or no big deal?
I tried the two tires/one wheelset thing once, and it lasted for about two months before I just found a set of tires that could do both jobs reasonably well. The tire changing process itself wasn't that bad, but it eliminated any spontaneity.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-12-21, 11:02 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
For me, its a no-go. New York streets are filthy. I don't touch the tires more than I have to.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-12-21, 11:59 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,010 Posts
Things really changed for me when I went to two exact matching wheel sets for the same bike. One set with Road Tires @ 27 x 1-1/8 and the other CrossX @ 27 1-3/8. With those two wheel sets I now had two bicycles. But also consider that I buy cheaper machine manufactured wheels and after receiving them I loosen them up and re-dish and tune them before use. If I had to spend some of the outragiuos costs of wheels sets that are common now days I certainly would consider other options...
Old 09-12-21, 12:21 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 427 Posts
On my clincher wheels, tire changes are really easy without the use of tire levers. On my tubeless wheels, putting on tires are incredibly hard and my hands are sore afterwards! Depending on your rim/wheel + tire combo it'll either be a no-hassle swap or a profanity laced activity making you wish you had two wheelsets.
Old 09-12-21, 04:23 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
This is mostly a matter of what you are willing to do and how much spare time you have, but I have one additional note; if you are not careful when changing tires some tires start to shred at the bead after a few on-off cycles. If you do this a lot consider using the Schwalbe tire mounting fluid to ease wear on the bead.
Old 09-12-21, 04:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
With a set of Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass (35mm) or Barlow Pass (38mm) I never even consider changing tires going from Road to gravel.

I have swapped between MTB tires and Road slicks in the past. It was good for experimenting and deciding what i wanted, but it got old quick. I ended running two wheelsets, which then led to two different bikes.
Old 09-13-21, 05:11 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Fenders won’t keep my tires clean.
Old 09-13-21, 05:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Fenders won’t keep my tires clean.
Right, was agreeing that roads can be gross. I have no helpful tips for keeping tires clean.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-14-21, 12:03 AM
Mosquitolt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO better two sets of wheels. Even changing once a month will be a burden, and you will stay on one tires.. That is coming from experience.
Old 09-14-21, 07:17 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I wouldn't change a perfectly good set of 32s for an occasional gravel ride. I've done lots of gravel miles on 28mm tires.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-14-21, 08:25 AM
DorkDisk

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Right, was agreeing that roads can be gross. I have no helpful tips for keeping tires clean.
I just wipe the tires down after each ride with disinfectant wipes since I hang my bikes in a tiny apt with tires at face level. The amount of squished rats in the city the past 18mos is hard to imagine. I refuse to ride in the city right after a first rain, the water is just nasty- fenders or not.
Old 09-14-21, 09:57 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll get the tyres and if it's too hard to live with swapping them over then in time will buy a second wheelset.

As to the question about how frequently. I have no gravel near me so it will just be the very occasional gravel ride, once or twice a month.
I've done it all, so here is my thoughts

a non tubeless tire and a non tubeless wheel are insanely easy to switch over. I forget how easy it can be until I use some of my older bikes
A tubeless tire and/or a tubeless wheel can be insanely (impossible for me) to switch over.

Since you use GP5000, the tubed version mounts super easy for me on a traditional hook rim (tubeless compatible)
The GP5000TL is impossible for me to mount on a slightly oversized hookless tubeless rim.
Both the tire and the rim combo make a huge difference on ease of changing (whether or not you use tubes).
Heck, with the right set, the hardest part is just pumping the tire back up to pressure.

I have 5 wheels, and it is super easy to change a wheel for the weekend. I'm not gonna change a tire for the weekend, but I do occasionally. More likely I'll change the tire for the season (faster tires for the summer, wider tougher treaded tires for the winter).

A really good compromise though, is just buying a front wheel. I use a 40mm front tire and the 32mm GP5000 combo a lot. Front wheels are fairly cheap (compared to the rear), and the front tire is where I need the volume & tread. Having two front wheels can take you a lot of places with very little hassle. If I'm gonna do an epic ride, I'll swap out the rear - but much of the time a 40mmF 32mmR rear is fine.
Old 09-14-21, 10:31 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
The GP5000TL is impossible for me to mount on a slightly oversized hookless tubeless rim.
Wait... what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.