Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava = motivate you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava = motivate you?

Old 09-12-21, 01:44 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
I looked into Strava. I have Garmin, I use ridewithgps to map rides. I use a poor man's Cateye to record distance.

Believe it or not, years ago in the 1980's I could get on my bike and enjoy the experience all by itself without resorting to any aids.
My most memorable rides had nothing to do with tech. Just get on the bike and ride. I know hard to imagine that is possible. I am not anti-tech or anti-social platforms.

For some of us, riding is more than enough. It is about the sights and sounds, and the spiritual aspects about cycling that motivate me.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-12-21, 01:55 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
I wonder what motivated people to ride before electronic software was invented...or maybe there was no cyclists before strava was invented.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-12-21, 02:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
For some of us, riding is more than enough.
Yet you track your mileage. Do you know what a lot of people use Strava for? Tracking mileage. Weird, innit?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-12-21, 02:09 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts

For some of us, riding is more than enough. It is about the sights and sounds, and the spiritual aspects about cycling that motivate me.
Yes that's how I look at cycling too, just get on my bike and enjoy the ride.... When I first got into cycling I had a cheap bike computer to track speed and mileage but as time went along I lost interest in chasing numbers and took my bike computer off and never put it back on.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-12-21, 02:09 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yet you track your mileage. Do you know what a lot of people use Strava for? Tracking mileage. Weird, innit?
Yes, I am imperfect.
I am in the whole time, distance, matter energy continuum.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-12-21, 02:15 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
At the risk of not being "cool" without either a one word or condescending reply...

Yes, Strava does motivate me. Examples: If I check it near the end of a ride and I'm averaging 15.9 mph, better believe I'll step it up to get that 16 before stopping. If I have say 47.2 miles in when I get back, I'll ride another 2.8 to get to 50. Or if I have 160 miles in for the week and I go on a 30 mile group ride the last day, I'll ride 10 more by myself to hit 200 for the week. And invariably, there there will be certain segments during a familiar ride I will always go for a PR or less likely KOM.

So yes ...having Strava motivates me.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-12-21, 02:21 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
There's nothing about a personal data tracking app that I need to pay for, full of unknown people, that motivates me..don't use it.

Cut to the chase..the old school incentive that motivates me is my hot girlfriend.
Old 09-12-21, 03:27 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
The top of any segment leaderboard that's been around for a while, in an area with a decent number of cyclists, is going to be like that - tail winds, group rides, group rides with tail winds...
For sure. How many KOMs are stomped out into a direct 15+mph headwind? Precious few, I'm guessing.
Old 09-12-21, 03:36 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

I looked into Strava. I have Garmin, I use ridewithgps to map rides. I use a poor man's Cateye to record distance.

Believe it or not, years ago in the 1980's I could get on my bike and enjoy the experience all by itself without resorting to any aids.
My most memorable rides had nothing to do with tech. Just get on the bike and ride. I know hard to imagine that is possible. I am not anti-tech or anti-social platforms.

What about shifting tech, tire tech, braking tech? Those things you ride were not original equipment on the first bicycles. They evolved. The tech evolves. Someone saying that they choose not to use something for whatever reason, or even lack of a reason (that's still a reason, though ) is still using other advancements that at one time were poo-pooed by a different crowd. Take GPS navigators, for example. In the old days, before maps, do you think people didn't rely on some other form of navigation? Then decent maps came along. Were the first users of maps mocked for cheating? Did other people say things like, "I don't need to know how to get there- I'll either wander around til we all die or we find adequate food and shelter. We're tough compared to those mappers!" Now maps and compasses are considered old-school voodoo and antiquated. Has anyone seen a road atlas at the gas station lately? What's that you say- you don't go inside any more since they invented pay-at-the-pump-with-your-phone? Huh. Weird... isn't it? Don't be afraid of the stuff.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 09-12-21, 04:09 PM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^Funny. My next bike will be a single speed or flip/flop Fixie because I want to simplify things and decrease repairs and maintenance costs.

I just bought an older model flip phone to simplify things because I do not need a $1,000 cell phone when a $30 will satisfy my needs.
I do not fear the cell phone, I just realize what my needs are. I responded to your comments on a tablet so I must have conquered my fear of the interwebs.

Like I said, I am not anti-tech as it has its place. Some of us just appreciate simpler things in life.

A bike ride can be simple and enjoyable. If you enjoy higher tech and cycling together? Great, that works for you.

I'm picking up that others are attached to their high tech gadgets and this is a touchy subject that compels them to pigeon hole the naysayers.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-12-21, 05:14 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

^^^^^Funny. My next bike will be a single speed or flip/flop Fixie because I want to simplify things and decrease repairs and maintenance costs.

I just bought an older model flip phone to simplify things because I do not need a $1,000 cell phone when a $30 will satisfy my needs.
I do not fear the cell phone, I just realize what my needs are. I responded to your comments on a tablet so I must have conquered my fear of the interwebs.

Like I said, I am not anti-tech as it has its place. Some of us just appreciate simpler things in life.

A bike ride can be simple and enjoyable. If you enjoy higher tech and cycling together? Great, that works for you.

I'm picking up that others are attached to their high tech gadgets and this is a touchy subject that compels them to pigeon hole the naysayers.
No one should care if others like new tech or not. There's plenty that I don't like, use, or plan on using. Just pointing out that some of the "simple things" that we like using were, at one time, major advancements or technical achievements.
Old 09-12-21, 06:42 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
i do like strava. i resisted it for a long time. i think what i like most about it is consolidation. when i ride zwift it gets uploaded, when i ride CycleMeter it gets uploaded, when i ride my own program it gets uploaded. from time to time i use my program to pull everything down and segregate real vs virtual so i have a nice library of .fit files. i like that strava keeps track of my PRs. they are getting fewer and fewer as time goes on but still a nice thing to see when they come up. i had one KOM that i got in FL about 4 months ago and another local to me. lost the FL one but don't really care. i am amazed that i even have one. must be a slow segment.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-12-21, 06:48 PM
WhyFi

I'm not pigeon-holing a naysayer - I'm pointing out that they naysayer is a hypocrite.

You're criticizing people because you don't need an "outside application [that] is supposed to motivate me," while many people are using Strava for the same reason that you use your old school Cateye. The difference is that they're using a method that's actually more convenient and many are even doing it with a non-specialized device that's already in their pocket.

Kettle, meet Pot.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-12-21, 08:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Strava = Motivate You?

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Strava legends stuff i find fun. To be the local legend on a favorite ride or segment i find exciting.
hope to take back title today....
^ This is the original post. The way I interpret the question is: Strava users does it motivate you?

What I do NOT see is: Do you use Strava? Why don’t you use Strava?

What am I missing here?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-12-21, 10:20 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,381 Times in 706 Posts
it does motivate me, in the way that it has been proven time and time again that the observation of performance tends to result in an increase in performance.

it's also fun to bring a little biking into the other 158 hours of the week when there's no biking going on, looking at the rides, the heatmaps, segments, etc. i do try and avoid riding *for* the stats, but i'll admit to having created a couple of segments for myself that i keep hammering on as best i can.

i also find the heatmap motivating in a general sense, suggesting new geographic areas to explore...

Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-12-21, 10:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
^ SF North Bay. Never seen it quite like that before.

Old 09-13-21, 12:35 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 323 Posts
^ Look at all those un-ridden roads! Get on your bike! 😎
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-13-21, 12:43 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
^ Look at all those un-ridden roads! Get on your bike! 😎
There's that part too - "I haven't ridden there, wonder what's there". The only misgiving I have is that Strava isn't very good at telling you about the road surface, and that's how you ended up doing 15km of gravel on a road bike once.
Old 09-13-21, 01:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’m impressed how much bike traffic there is on the Richmond Bridge.
Old 09-13-21, 03:49 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,381 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I’m impressed how much bike traffic there is on the Richmond Bridge.
that’s my personal heatmap … the couple times i’ve ridden it i haven’t actually seen anyone else riding it. it’s definitely not the most pleasant of bridge rides! great that it exists tho.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-13-21, 07:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,159 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_master
If you read their terms of service it might motivate you not to use Strava.
1.) Nobody reads that crap.

2.) Why do you say that?
Old 09-13-21, 07:39 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by prj71
2.) Why do you say that?
How would s/he know? They haven't read it.
Old 09-13-21, 07:46 AM
TX_master

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
How would s/he know? They haven't read it.
I most certainly have:
"ContentYou own the information, data, text, software, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, posts, tags, or other materials you make available in connection with the Services (“Content”), whether publicly posted, privately transmitted, or submitted through a third party API (e.g. a photograph submitted via Instagram). Public segments and routes created by using the Services are not considered Content. You grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display any Content and any name, username or likeness that you post on or in connection with the Services in all media formats and channels now known or later developed without compensation to you. This license ends when you delete your Content or your account."

I'm not questioning the value of Strava to anyone using it on here. Nor am I questioning that it has any useful features as I'm sure it does. I do track my cycling metrics through modern technology, just not Srava.
Old 09-13-21, 08:01 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
^ This is why i periodically pull all my rides down from strava. i assume that one day, someday, it won't be available. i'd hate to lose it all.
Old 09-13-21, 08:12 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TX_master
I most certainly have:
"ContentYou own the information, data, text, software, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, posts, tags, or other materials you make available in connection with the Services (“Content”), whether publicly posted, privately transmitted, or submitted through a third party API (e.g. a photograph submitted via Instagram). Public segments and routes created by using the Services are not considered Content. You grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display any Content and any name, username or likeness that you post on or in connection with the Services in all media formats and channels now known or later developed without compensation to you. This license ends when you delete your Content or your account."

I'm not questioning the value of Strava to anyone using it on here. Nor am I questioning that it has any useful features as I'm sure it does. I do track my cycling metrics through modern technology, just not Srava.
Sure. So what about the bolded part should concern us? That they're going to turn sweaty selfies of my handsome mug in to the face of Strava and that I'll not be compensated?
Likes For WhyFi:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.