Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 09-03-21, 08:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
There's something to be said for an electric tool that just works every single time. I'll eventually switch everything over, it's all getting much better
Oh, I never had any gas powered tools, just air tools at work and electric at home. I used to borrow a chainsaw when I used firewood.

The engines I had were 5 cars and 2 off road motorcycles at the same time.
Old 09-03-21, 11:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Oh, I never had any gas powered tools, just air tools at work and electric at home. I used to borrow a chainsaw when I used firewood.

The engines I had were 5 cars and 2 off road motorcycles at the same time.
Gotcha. Modem car engines I never really have issues with, not like outdoor tools. Ethanol gas, cheap carbs, and light and infrequent use is just a brutal combination. Impossible to get ethanol free around here. Used to be a place I could get 100 octane ethanol free race gas nearby, for like $10 a gallon, but they stopped selling it. Used to use that for my power tools. Nowhere else within like 30 minutes.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-04-21, 11:13 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Gotcha. Modem car engines I never really have issues with, not like outdoor tools. Ethanol gas, cheap carbs, and light and infrequent use is just a brutal combination. Impossible to get ethanol free around here. Used to be a place I could get 100 octane ethanol free race gas nearby, for like $10 a gallon, but they stopped selling it. Used to use that for my power tools. Nowhere else within like 30 minutes.
For small engines I gave up and use the canned gas at Home Depot. It's expensive but it's ethanol free and is loaded with dry gas, etc to help make sure it stays runnable and doesn't gum anything up. I switch the mower over to it late in the fall. Smaller stuff - I just use it all the time.

Old 09-04-21, 11:43 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
For small engines I gave up and use the canned gas at Home Depot. It's expensive but it's ethanol free and is loaded with dry gas, etc to help make sure it stays runnable and doesn't gum anything up. I switch the mower over to it late in the fall. Smaller stuff - I just use it all the time.
It has certainly crossed my mind. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I would like stuff to start when I need it.
Old 09-08-21, 09:40 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 97 Posts
Did I post this already?

I sporadically use gas engine stuff - generators (a few), wheeled leaf blower (2), weed wacker things (2, and they are 2 stroke), and a snow blower. I started the leaf blowers every... year or two years now. Generators maybe 2x a year spread apart (so spring I start them and run them a few days, then maybe in the fall once). Snow blower just in the winter. weed wacker things maybe once a year.

For gas I get regular gas and put a ton of "fuel injection cleaner". So I put a bottle of STP/GumOut/etc) meant for 20 gal of gas into 1-2 5 gallon cans.

Dry gas is ethanol, and ethanol will eat certain fuel lines. FI cleaner will get rid of moisture, will not break down like ethanol, and cleans dried gas deposits.

The fuel stabilizer stuff... anecdotally it seems like everyone that uses it has carb problems. I worked at a hardware store that sold/serviced engine stuff, and I was always taking in repairs from customers that were diligent buyers of fuel stabilizers. So I never bought any and just continued with my "FI cleaner" treatment. My method seems to work.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-08-21, 05:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Did I post this already?
Wait until you are my age. People get used to me repeating stuff.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-09-21, 09:52 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Wait until you are my age. People get used to me repeating stuff.
If I think of something to say, I immediately remind myself I have probably already said it. The question is…Is this a new audience.
Old 09-09-21, 11:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
On the phone with my mother last week, she said, "You know, I was telling someone recently about ....."

"Yeah mom, that was me."
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-09-21, 07:43 PM
carpediemracing 

Apparently I have a set of stories, and I tell them to new people. So when I met someone new the Missus said, "Oh, you have a new audience you can tell your stories to!" and not in a sarcastic way.

A couple years ago I had to stop to think about where the sugar or something was (I was fixing a cup of coffee for myself). I looked at each cabinet door. I guess I picture what is behind the door, and then I open the door that has the stuff I want. Well, that day when I looked at the cabinets I just pictured black, like pitch night with no lights black. I started opening and closing the cabinet doors. Missus asked me what I was doing. "Looking for the sugar" (or maybe it was the mugs). Third or fourth cabinet, I found it. It was quite nerve-racking to realize that I had no idea where it was.

More recently I've turned to asking Junior the name/word/etc of whatever it was I was trying to remember. Without looking he'll pipe up with the answer.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 09-13-21, 01:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 973 Posts
Donnelly MXP PDX combo and air liner coming in mail. Amazon sending air compressor presta chuck.

I'm tired of my cross tire setup being kinda gravel use centered. Going to toss that stuff on the Velocity A23's and leave the gravel tires on the other set.

Train gravel/other on the old setup, do training cross laps and races on the new setup.

That combo came suggested by several teammates and other folks. Worth a shot. Needed it anyway as that 38 gravel-ish tire was only kosher in one series. Not the others.
Old 09-14-21, 12:19 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Donnelly MXP PDX combo and air liner coming in mail. Amazon sending air compressor presta chuck.

I'm tired of my cross tire setup being kinda gravel use centered. Going to toss that stuff on the Velocity A23's and leave the gravel tires on the other set.

Train gravel/other on the old setup, do training cross laps and races on the new setup.

That combo came suggested by several teammates and other folks. Worth a shot. Needed it anyway as that 38 gravel-ish tire was only kosher in one series. Not the others.
Curious what kind of air compressor presta chuck you have coming from Amazon. I need one and reading reviews it is hard to tell which one might be decent quality, other than going all in on a Park tool for $134.
Also - what is your plan on the MXP PDX combo? PDX in back, MXP in front or vice versa?
Old 09-14-21, 12:23 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Every area is different but in the Chicago area almost everyone has been on PDX for all conditions. There are a few who swear by the MXP but tbh in all of the years I have been selling and gluing and maintaining all of the hundreds of wheels for cross that I do - I have probably only sold about 30-40 mxp when compared to over 1000 PDX.

For tubeless - PDX WC is nice but tbh I am not a huge fan of tubeless for cross. I did a lot of back room interviewing of pros and not many are actually in favor of running tubeless. I get it though - everyone is afraid of tubulars nowadays (except for that tier of people who race at the top of their local areas that I still find beating a path to my door). BUT... Michelin just reintroduced the Green compound and they did it on the MUD tread. They offer it in a tubular and a tubeless setup.

The MUD was the best tire we ever ran around here for cross. I got way better control out of using it as a clincher with tubes than I did out of tubular challenge grifo's back in the day but they only offered it in a 30mm and possibly a 32.

I bought a ton of them this season. Reflecting the typical "cobbler has no shoes" thing this year I approached the first race of the year here and realized I didn't have anything glued up for myself and I wasn't about to race a cross race of wide Panaracer Gravel Kings. So I grabbed a set of Michelin Mud's and set them up tubeless and raced on them. f'n bliss. I was able to run higher pressure and still have grip and hookup. That's important for a fat guy.

I have no desire to run super low on tubeless but these will handle most of our season if we luck out and have a dry year. If we start getting wet like we did a few years back - then no...tubulars and probably PDX all the way.

Also - back during the clement team days I used to watch tread choices. Ben berden would run LAS (file tread) on the rear and PDX on the front. for dry conditions and PDX/PDX for others. Mani would run MXP/PDX in almost all conditions. IIRC Trebon (felt/Cannondale) would run PDX/PDX a whole lot until they switched tires.

Also FWIW - I have a pile of "Pro Team Only" Challenge red wall tires I got off the Cannondale team last year. If anyone wants any - give me a call.

Old 09-14-21, 12:55 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by cmh
Curious what kind of air compressor presta chuck you have coming from Amazon. I need one and reading reviews it is hard to tell which one might be decent quality, other than going all in on a Park tool for $134.
Also - what is your plan on the MXP PDX combo? PDX in back, MXP in front or vice versa?
PDX front. Guy on team said he liked that as he felt the front end held better counter steering on really hard turns.

I bought the Cyclospirit air compressor chuck. It has a standard bike tire chuck on the one end on a hose. Other end is the quick connect to connect to air compressor hose end. In between is a thumb trigger.

I will set the compressor outlet to like 60psi, connect this chuck, then press the thumb grip. Instant full 60psi airflow. I've got a pretty large "hotdog" air compressor.

When I try it will report results.

As for the tubeless, I've been running what I have now that way fine. But am adding a liner. The liner they claim is designed to keep the bead in place better when going low low pressure.

I trust tubulars, just don't own tubs as wheels.
Old 09-14-21, 01:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Every area is different but in the Chicago area almost everyone has been on PDX for all conditions. There are a few who swear by the MXP but tbh in all of the years I have been selling and gluing and maintaining all of the hundreds of wheels for cross that I do - I have probably only sold about 30-40 mxp when compared to over 1000 PDX.

For tubeless - PDX WC is nice but tbh I am not a huge fan of tubeless for cross. I did a lot of back room interviewing of pros and not many are actually in favor of running tubeless. I get it though - everyone is afraid of tubulars nowadays (except for that tier of people who race at the top of their local areas that I still find beating a path to my door). BUT... Michelin just reintroduced the Green compound and they did it on the MUD tread. They offer it in a tubular and a tubeless setup.

The MUD was the best tire we ever ran around here for cross. I got way better control out of using it as a clincher with tubes than I did out of tubular challenge grifo's back in the day but they only offered it in a 30mm and possibly a 32.

I bought a ton of them this season. Reflecting the typical "cobbler has no shoes" thing this year I approached the first race of the year here and realized I didn't have anything glued up for myself and I wasn't about to race a cross race of wide Panaracer Gravel Kings. So I grabbed a set of Michelin Mud's and set them up tubeless and raced on them. f'n bliss. I was able to run higher pressure and still have grip and hookup. That's important for a fat guy.

I have no desire to run super low on tubeless but these will handle most of our season if we luck out and have a dry year. If we start getting wet like we did a few years back - then no...tubulars and probably PDX all the way.

Also - back during the clement team days I used to watch tread choices. Ben berden would run LAS (file tread) on the rear and PDX on the front. for dry conditions and PDX/PDX for others. Mani would run MXP/PDX in almost all conditions. IIRC Trebon (felt/Cannondale) would run PDX/PDX a whole lot until they switched tires.

Also FWIW - I have a pile of "Pro Team Only" Challenge red wall tires I got off the Cannondale team last year. If anyone wants any - give me a call.
How are the Green Muds on grass and dry hard pack? I have a set, but since we're in a drought, I was wondering if it was worth mounting them up.
Old 09-14-21, 05:01 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
First business travel since Feb 2020 and man, am I out of travel shape. My body is really, really angry at me for messing up its nice little schedule. It was good to get out again, but still a little nerve racking since I was in Dallas. Thankfully, we stayed in our little group and didn't mess with Texas.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 09-15-21, 01:28 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Two years ago I raced CX on tubeless MXPs. I wanted to get PDX's because they are about the most popular CX tire here, but my go to shops were out of stock, so I went with MXPs. Tubeless was great compared to being on clinchers the year before (where I ran higher pressure). I'm not interested in dealing with gluing tires any more, so its tubeless for me for CX. This year, my son is on tubeless as well, so I bought a set of PDX tires, and was going to give him my MXPs, but maybe I'll put us both on MXP/PDX combos. In the end, I'm sure either would be a good setup. I also need to get my compressor set up with a presta chuck, so I'm looking forward to your review of the cyclospirit BTS.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-21, 06:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Will do, waiting on the liners and tires now. Also, I'm an idiot. The tires I had been running were meant for lazier gravel riding.

Vittoria does a tread change from the cross width tires to gravel width when you get to a certain size. I didn't know assuming since they call the tire model the same thing for all sizes. But looking at a tread of the 33's, totally different from the larger ones. Like, the larger ones are meant for more consistent "straight" gravel riding kind of stuff. No wonder I was having issues with a bit of slide!

Anyway, I can't wait.
Old 09-16-21, 01:56 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by caloso
How are the Green Muds on grass and dry hard pack? I have a set, but since we're in a drought, I was wondering if it was worth mounting them up.
First race I did on them was super dry and longer grass. Jackson Park - South side chicago on the shore of lake Michigan. It's where they are building the Obama Presidential Library so they seem to be letting it grow a little longer than previously. I had tons of traction and not "too much" that it would slow me down. If I had thought of it I could have put a Jet tread on the rear but honestly I am more the kind of guy that would rather run higher pressure when I have too much grip as opposed to running less aggressive and have to drop until I gain traction.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-16-21, 02:17 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Met CDR in person today.

And based on my track record of meeting people on this forum in real life, I assume he will soon stop posting.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-16-21, 02:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Met CDR in person today.

And based on my track record of meeting people on this forum in real life, I assume he will soon stop posting.

hey, I still post!!!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-16-21, 03:25 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I am guessing the answer will be “use the better kit for longer rides and problem one on short”.

I have three used San Remos now, well one of three is a different brand.

One of the Castelli ones is the model before the bib fix where if would chaff your belly. Other than a pound of Chamois Buttr, just ride the older one on shorter less sweaty days?

Or anyone have a “hack” for that? I like them otherwise.
Old 09-16-21, 03:36 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Met CDR in person today.

and I mean, yeah, we've met
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-16-21, 04:40 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Met CDR in person today.

Funny - a memory just came up in Facebook of when I met up with CDR at Interbike and we all went out to dinner like 10 years ago. Aki is good people. Cycling is a small world.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-17-21, 06:01 AM
carpediemracing 

Met CDR in person today.

Ha!

I was looking at the splits etc last night. You had the fumble on the first lap? So you had a phenomenal time, all considering.

As far as BF goes, I think I had my pause for a few years. I don't know what the next few years will be like but it'll be similar to the last one I think, if my job doesn't change and with Junior occupying my time while he's awake. So not too frequently.

It was great seeing you. I wish I could have spent more time at the track. It's a different vibe than a crit, because of multiple events, actual equipment changes, etc. You actually hang out more, or at least I do, compared to crits.

I met Sara too, which was great.

Last edited by carpediemracing; 09-18-21 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spellcheck fail
Old 09-17-21, 06:53 AM
carpediemracing 

Funny - a memory just came up in Facebook of when I met up with CDR at Interbike and we all went out to dinner like 10 years ago. Aki is good people. Cycling is a small world.
Thanks.

I still owe you a dinner.

I'm really psyched that you sponsor Camie. She's been ripping up the track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.