Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clothing for changing temps during ride

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-19-21, 12:03 PM
donm1967

Bikes: 2009 Quick 4; 2021 Giant Defy Adv 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 21 Posts

Hi all,
I tried searching for cool weather clothing advice and mostly found what to wear for cooler/cold weather. But what are people doing for rides where the temp changes? For example if it's 45-50 F in the morning and warms up to 70 during the ride?
Is it reasonable to wear a long sleeve jersey over a short sleeve jersey? Or a lightweight vest?
I tried looking online for cycling jackets but didn't find anything that looked like it was thin/light enough to be stored in a jersey pocket while riding. I don't want something too bulky to have to lug around on the ride after taking it off.

thx, Don
Old 09-19-21, 12:10 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 434 Posts
Warmers -- arm, leg/knee -- and if you need additional warmth then a packable vest or jacket. At some point the temp range is so wide that you either have to suck it up at one extreme or add additional carrying capacity beyond jersey pockets.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-19-21, 12:23 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
I carry extra clothing. Don't like to be Cold.

1100 mile tour

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 09-19-21, 12:49 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Warmers -- arm, leg/knee -- and if you need additional warmth then a packable vest or jacket. At some point the temp range is so wide that you either have to suck it up at one extreme or add additional carrying capacity beyond jersey pockets.
I'm with Surac, love my knee warmers. I also have a very thin/light windbreaker that I can squeeze into one of those cases that fit into an extra water bottle holder, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I'm not one that likes a lot in my rear jersey pockets. Also hate being hot.
Old 09-19-21, 12:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Carry a small backpack to store extra clothing.
Old 09-19-21, 01:09 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
As it gets colder add layers. My outer layer for wind, rain and around 10º C is this shell from LG. Underneath long sleeve shirt and a cycling vest. And when that is no longer enough there will be enough snow on the mountain to switch to XC skiing.

Last edited by OldRailfan; 09-19-21 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 09-19-21, 01:16 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I had a century ride I did for a few years in mid-October in Western MA. Getting started at around 7:00 or 7:30 it was invariably in the upper 30's to low 40's. On a really good day, it did break into the low 70's by the end of the ride. For my legs, I wore leg warmers and just kept them on the whole ride. On top, I had a long sleeve base layer, a cycling jersey, and a light wind-breaker/shell jacket. I would be chilly probably the first hour, then comfortable, then got warm. When I got uncomfortably warm, I stuffed the outer jacket in my jersey pocket. Was still a bit warm in the latter part of the ride with the temps higher but, on balance, that compromise worked ... chilly at first, warm towards the end, and pretty comfortable in the middle.
Old 09-19-21, 01:30 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Arm/leg warmers and a thin shell are the easiest things to start with and take off. They can all fit in jersey pockets.

If things get really sweaty it is always possible to remove underwear layers and stuff in pockets. I have wanted to do that several times but it was never bad enough to warrant the hassle.

Make sure to start out a bit chilly on such days. I dislike doing that but have slowly trained into it after suffering through a few sweat-fests in mid-winter.
Old 09-19-21, 02:19 PM
donm1967

Thanks guys, all great ideas.
Another thought I had is that I do have rear rack and trunk bag. I could mount the rack and omit the bag to save weight and just use the rack to stow a light jacket (if the weather is cold enough for that). Or maybe a handlebar bag, which I may bring for some snacks anyway.
Old 09-19-21, 02:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
Traditionally, a double thickness of newspaper inside the jersey. Serves as a wind break. Discard when the temp warms up. Modern day, a piece of Tyvek folds smaller and can be reused even if it gets sweaty.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-19-21, 03:09 PM
donm1967

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Traditionally, a double thickness of newspaper inside the jersey. Serves as a wind break. Discard when the temp warms up. Modern day, a piece of Tyvek folds smaller and can be reused even if it gets sweaty.
Interesting idea
Old 09-19-21, 03:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Below about 60 or so, Lightweight tee shirt under a short sleeves bike jersey with arm warmers. Plus a very light wind shell. Leg warmers if below 55.
Old 09-19-21, 04:11 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Arm and leg armers. Vests. Mesh base layers. Full zips on jerseys.

Get a bag.
Old 09-19-21, 04:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Layers, peal them off when it gets warmer and put them on when it get cooler.

Last edited by GlennR; 09-19-21 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 05:10 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I like arm warmers, but I never liked leg warmers - they don't stay up for me. Probably worrth a try, though.
Old 09-19-21, 06:15 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Shelbyfv - you should add that to the random tips thread !
LOL ! I went to tyvek about 10 yrs ago ! (FEDEX overnight envelop, sssshhh...) But I still use newspaper, if the day's getting warmer and I won't need to keep it after the initial part of the ride - then goes into the trash...
If I'm caught short and don;t have paper; depending where I'm riding, I can usually find a place (supermarket, gas station, etc) which has the racks for those free local papers/mags.
Also works great for the cloudy days when doing long climbs and then slip under jersey for Cold descents.
In this part of Cal, it's not uncommon to have a 40 deg. start and then sunny temps in the mid 60's - our Winter ! LOL!
usual kit for wide temp range. lycra skull cap - not always (head loses the most heat) Arm warmers, Heavier weight bibs (not thin summer bibs, shorts), I prefer leg warmers as opposed to knee warmers - knee warmers seem to bunch up behind the knee - for me... and cycling vest, mesh back (usually a Pearl Izumi). Full finger gloves
If I'm expecting it to be 40-ish to not over 60-ish - long sleeve jersey instead of SS, carry my summer light weight arm 'coolers' (they're lycra, white and thin) to put over if really blustery or cold. and a neck gaiter - material depending on expected conditions. Sometimes I will sub a cycling cap under helmet, instead of lycra skull cap.
I do have another jacket/shell for those rides when conditions are difficult... Pearl Izumi, has shell with a covered mesh back panel, and zip-off sleeves.
I believe they still sell their current version, called 'Barrier shell' w/zipoff sleeves... I use it a lot for mountain stuff, especially when xc-skiing in the sierras.
Not heavy, does vent well, good barrier against moisture, light.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: reminded by poster - Steamer, above, that 'base layer' - is an automatic for me when under 70... weight of which will vary depending... I have a LOT of kit... LOL! no, it's not too much ! LOL!

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-19-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 07:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
I'm with Surac, love my knee warmers. I also have a very thin/light windbreaker that I can squeeze into one of those cases that fit into an extra water bottle holder, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I'm not one that likes a lot in my rear jersey pockets. Also hate being hot.
Ordered one because I hate feeling the bulk of my rain jacket in my jersey pocket. Appreciate the recommendation

Old 09-19-21, 09:20 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Lots of different layers. That, and having multiple pieces, so you can tune your outfit to the conditions.
I like to 'start cold' as I tend to warm up pretty significantly once I'm under way, and I'd rather be slightly under-dressed when participating in an athletic activity, than over-dressed.
Remember, too, that daytime temperatures often increase quickly in mid-morning, so you may spend most of the ride carrying more clothes than you're wearing.
Old 09-19-21, 10:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
45-50F, I am typically wearing knee warmers, arm warmers, and a wind vest. They all fit in jersey pockets.
Old 09-19-21, 11:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 1,997 Times in 1,046 Posts
A thin wool jersey is pretty versatile. With a windbreaker it's good to mid 30's, along it's tolerable into the upper 70's. Add leg warmers, gloves, neck gator. All that can be carried in jersey pockets.

It rain comes in the mix, a little more stuff is in order. Unless you have a team car, some kind of bag for stowing a layer becomes necessary.
Old 09-20-21, 03:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
yes layer tops, there are no rules, wear what you have. so long as it's not too tight & too difficult to be removed. I like sleeves that roll up & 1/4 or 1/2 zip necks that can be opened up

I have definitely removed a top & tied it around my waist, not ideal but works just fine

I can go longer in shorts than I can in short sleeves

reminder to myself to keep riding thru the seasonal climate changes. it makes it easier to adapt to changing temperatures. as opposed to riding in August, then again in September or October, such a shock makes dressing more of a head scrathcher

& in the other direction if you ride into the early evening, I've brought a short sleeved shirt to add over a long sleeved shirt, etc
Old 09-20-21, 04:25 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,664 Posts
rainproof windbreaker

a second, long-sleeved merino wool underlayer. can always peel one off since they compact well.

arm warmers

skull cap (to be replaced by a bandana/cycling cap)

neck gaiter

long finger glove inserts

full length bib tights. have rocked them up to 85 degrees. obvs not ideal then but better than dealing with/storing knee warmers.

yes, it's a pita to stop multiple times to adjust/add/remove said items but those are occasionally the most rewarding rides.
Old 09-20-21, 06:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
45 to 70 swing: I'd just wear some of a pair of my non insulated bib knickers. Up top, probably a longsleeve summer base layer, shortsleeve jersey, and bring a packable wind jacket that can stow in a rear pocket.
Old 09-20-21, 11:05 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
In changing temps, Merino wool is your friend. (My favorite brand is Smartwool.) It wicks moisture away from your skin and keeps you warm even when damp.

Cotton is not so good. It traps moisture, so it is only comfortable in moderate temps--hot weather or cold weather = both bad.

A beanie cap under your helmet can make a big difference. If your head stays warm, it's easier for the rest of your body to stay warm. The cap can be easily taken off or put on as needed and kept in a pocket when not worn.
Old 09-20-21, 11:51 AM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Usually leg and arm warmers will keep you warm enough into the shoulder seasons. I also just purchased a lightweight jacket that will packdown into a small bike bag for those colder rides. If I need anything warmer then I just won’t ride. Not going to be pedalling in a snow parka and ski pants.