Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Puncture

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tubeless Tire Puncture

Old 09-20-21, 03:56 PM
ioerror

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Tubeless Tire Puncture

I am riding a grave bike with tubeless tires (Pathfinder Sport, 700x38mm). It has a tiny puncture and air leaks very slowly. I only saw this after applying soapy water all over the tire. This is my first experience with tubeless. Doing a little bit of research, found that tubeless is not as straight forward as I thought.

First, Do I even attempt to repair the tubeless tire? If so, what are your recommendations.

Second, How often do you reapply the sealant? I have not applied any since I bought the bike back in Nov 2020. I had no idea. <---Noob

I did watch some youtube videos and some suggest to reply sealant every 3 to 4 months. Is that a good idea? Isn't the sealant going to build up in the tire?

I mostly use the bike to commute to work in NYC roads (not the best) about 7.5 miles each way. Not sure if it matters, but throwing it out there just in case.
Old 09-20-21, 04:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If it only has a tiny hole that's noticeable with soapy water, then I'd just add some fresh sealant and call it fixed. Hopefully you have removeable valve cores. If so:

1) buy a small bottle of Stan's
2) remove valve core (they make specialty tools to do so, but you could also use a small crescent wrench if you don't have a valve core tool)
3) squirt in the Stan's
4) replace the valve core
5) pump up the tire
6) spin to distribute

If you don't have removeable cores, you'll have to unseat the tire and pour the sealant in the side. If you have to do this, you might as well replace the your valves while you're at it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-20-21, 05:34 PM
ioerror

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you! I will see if adding sealant will be enough.
Likes For ioerror:
Old 09-20-21, 10:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
If fresh sealant doesn't work, a simple "bacon strip" plug should do it, and that can be a fairly permanent fix, especially if the hole is small.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-21-21, 01:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are your wheels converted to tubeless? Do you see sealant coming out of the hole? I'm pretty sure most new bikes with tubeless wheels come shipped new with tubes and not sealant.
Old 09-21-21, 05:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
The tires on my gravel bike wouldn't stay inflated overnight. I finally got tired of pumping them up and decided to add sealant. Turned out there were dozens of little holes in the tread. Must have ridden through something.
Sealant fixed that right away. I use a leur lock syringe to add more sealant through the valve. They sell syringes with a tube specifically for that purpose. You also need a way to get the valve core out, which you probably should have anyway.
Old 09-21-21, 04:18 PM
ioerror

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are your wheels converted to tubeless? Do you see sealant coming out of the hole? I'm pretty sure most new bikes with tubeless wheels come shipped new with tubes and not sealant.
Dude... you can call me an idiot. Just this time though. I totally failed to read the manufacturers specs properly. It said "Tubeless Ready". Sigh!!!

Tube repaired and good to go.

But, now I am interested in converting to full tubeless. Sealent, valve core tool and syringe is ordered. Time to buy the valve core and tape.

Thanks guys!
Likes For ioerror:
Old 09-24-21, 01:19 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 195 Posts
Not so sure about that.

My Giant gravel bike came tubeless as did my gf & friends Liv gravel bike. All came tubeless from the factory. All 4 four bikes purchases this year if that makes a difference.
Old 09-24-21, 01:39 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Not so sure about that.

My Giant gravel bike came tubeless as did my gf & friends Liv gravel bike. All came tubeless from the factory. All 4 four bikes purchases this year if that makes a difference.
Did they have sealant already in? It was my understanding that companies don't want to do that because some bikes might be sitting in shops for years (at least before the virus and the shortages haha).
Old 09-24-21, 04:18 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 195 Posts
Did they have sealant already in? It was my understanding that companies don't want to do that because some bikes might be sitting in shops for years (at least before the virus and the shortages haha).
Confirmed on two of the Liv bikes yes. Two friends replaced their tires on the factory rims and there was sealant inside. My giant and gf liv we have not changed the tires yet.
Old 09-24-21, 06:25 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Giant ships tires installed with no sealant. They will hold air sitting on a shop floor. When a bike is purchased, the dealer adds a small bottle of sealant into each tire. The Giant tubeless system works well and the bikes are truly sold running tubeless. Most will go a year before needing any additional sealant.
Old 09-25-21, 01:38 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Confirmed on two of the Liv bikes yes. Two friends replaced their tires on the factory rims and there was sealant inside. My giant and gf liv we have not changed the tires yet.
That's cool. I wish my MTB I bought 18 months ago had been converted. Doing that was a freaking nightmare.