Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your Experiences With Supplements?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your Experiences With Supplements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 07:55 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Protein powder is completely unnecessary if you are already eating things like beef, chicken, eggs and dairy.
I drink a protein shake for breakfast every morning as a meal replacement. It's not that I'm worried about getting supplemental protein, but drinking protein satisfies me until lunch time so I'm not hungry all morning. But I will agree that eating meat or dairy provides plenty of protein so that a supplement isn't really necessary.
Old 09-30-20, 07:59 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by jay4usc
waste of money.
Especially if the supplements come from some MLM company. They're normally overpriced & are of low quality. Some products have even contained harmful additives.
Old 09-30-20, 08:07 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Especially if the supplements come from some MLM company. They're normally overpriced & are of low quality. Some products have even contained harmful additives.
yes especially the ones from MLM company. Supplements are not regulated therefore, you really don’t know what your taking.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 09-30-20, 08:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Two physicians in the family and instead of vitamins they recommend eating a well balanced diet. Their biggest qualms are no regulation of what actually goes into vitamins and potentially dangerous drug interactions with prescription medications.

I only take a magnesium capsule when I am having leg cramps after hard rides. Neither give me a hard time for occasional use. My dad (M.D.) has been calling vitamins the greatest multimillion dollar con and said most ‘benefits’ are placebo. He is not always right but Consumer Reports dedicated their entire magazine to the fraud of vitamins.

of course if you don’t eat right taking a multivitamin might be an acceptable hedge.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-01-20, 05:47 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
This is my response to this question back in June...

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I have always avoided supplements. About 2 weeks ago I started experimenting just to see. I've started taking Curcumin for joint pain, Magnesium on the advice of my PCP to help reduce leg cramps during intense exercise and oral electrolyte only before and after a bike ride, also to help reduce craps.

So far too early to see any real benefit but it has only been two weeks. We shall see. I don't intend to go any further than this.
So now with 3 months and taking Magnesium, Potassium and the Curcumin every day without exception. First the Curcumin for joint pain I think for me at least is useless. The Magnesium and Potassium I believe are helpful in keeping leg cramps at bay although a improvement it's not a cure. I have also been taking an electrolyte before and after a hard ride of 60 or more minutes. I usually drink a sports drink while riding. So starting today I'm eliminating the Curcumin, sticking for now with the Magnesium and Potassium and the electrolyte and see re-evaluate Jan 1. Something in this mix is making it very difficult for me to fall asleep.
Old 10-01-20, 06:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by rsbob
My dad (M.D.) has been calling vitamins the greatest multimillion dollar con and said most ‘benefits’ are placebo. He is not always right but Consumer Reports dedicated their entire magazine to the fraud of vitamins.
But you're neglecting the fact that they turn your urine an amazing color.
Old 10-01-20, 11:00 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

This is my response to this question back in June...

So now with 3 months and taking Magnesium, Potassium and the Curcumin every day without exception. First the Curcumin for joint pain I think for me at least is useless. The Magnesium and Potassium I believe are helpful in keeping leg cramps at bay although a improvement it's not a cure. I have also been taking an electrolyte before and after a hard ride of 60 or more minutes. I usually drink a sports drink while riding. So starting today I'm eliminating the Curcumin, sticking for now with the Magnesium and Potassium and the electrolyte and see re-evaluate Jan 1. Something in this mix is making it very difficult for me to fall asleep.
Just eat a banana. Bananas are rich on potassium and magnesium. Again vitamins are a waste of money. Use that money to buy Quality food and snacks
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-01-20, 05:01 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
Just eat a banana. Bananas are rich on potassium and magnesium. Again vitamins are a waste of money. Use that money to buy Quality food and snacks
I don't disagree that bananas contain potassium but I've received no relief from legs cramps by consuming them.
Old 10-01-20, 05:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
put butter on a slice of raisin bread & put some slices of banana on it. That'll get you your K & mag.
Old 10-01-20, 05:37 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
the gains you think you are getting from supplements is all in your head, and that's ok if it makes you work harder, but the supplements in and by themselves do nothing, and any doctor will tell you that, and they'll also tell you that a well balanced food diet is all the supplements you need...unless your body doesn't absorb certain things in food but your doctor can tell you that with a blood test.

Plus you said you noticed gradual improvements over a 3 month period, well guess what? you were riding your bicycle, those improvements came from riding the bike regularly and not from the supplements.

Supplements can actually do more harm than good over the long haul:
https://healthfully.com/supplements-...r-6187990.html
https://www.self.com/story/taking-too-many-supplements
https://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/eff...any-vitamins#1

Some doctors might suggest taking a supplement, but guess what they suggest taking? a cheap once a day multivitamin. There are some good supplements that can benefit people, but mostly older people: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ntial-benefits Some people have iron deficiencies need to take iron pills, but only under doctors care because you can OD on iron; certain older people need vitamin B12, but again a doctor will test to see if you are deficient in that area.
Exactly as my doctor recommends. So I take a multivitamin geared to those 50+, and a calcium/vitamin D pill daily. Also a baby aspirin before bed.

Best regards
Likes For flan48:
Old 10-01-20, 06:05 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
D in winter here in Portland as advised by my doc. She doesn't buy my argument that a year in west Texas exposed me to a lifetime of sunshine.

Maltodextrin as supplemental fuel during 100+ mile rides.

I bought some whey protein with thoughts of use for after ride recovery, but I prefer food.
Old 10-01-20, 06:16 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Not all things referred to as supplements are supplements. Whey protein, creatine and citrulline are foods, just another way to consume them. Whey is invaluable if you workout and less expensive than muscle proteins. People over the age of 50 that exercise daily should definitely use whey and a maintenance dose of creatine. Citrulline ask your Dr especially if you takes meds for blood pressure control because citrulline is vasodilator.
Old 10-01-20, 08:18 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I don't disagree that bananas contain potassium but I've received no relief from legs cramps by consuming them.
By chance are you on diuretics? Try avocado. 1 avocado you get 3 times as much potassium compared to 1 banana.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 10-01-20, 08:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try magnesium lactate. Works for me, better than magnesium glycinate chelate.

I get plenty of potassium, but adding magnesium did the trick for my post-workout leg and foot spasms.

It's the main ingredient in Sportlegs, which a friend swears by. Magnesium lactate is available separately in powdered form, in gel caps. Easier for me to swallow than some of the solid pills the size of bumblebees.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-01-20, 09:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
But you're neglecting the fact that they turn your urine an amazing color.
Not being a connoisseur of urine but being a fan of the 60s, I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Old 10-02-20, 04:33 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Whey protein, creatine and citrulline are foods, just another way to consume them.
They are not food, they are isolated nutrients.

Originally Posted by Mulberry;20
Whey is invaluable if you workout and less expensive than muscle proteins. People over the age of 50 that exercise daily should definitely use whey and a maintenance dose of creatine.
I bolded the part that I have a problem with.
Old 10-02-20, 07:02 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Don't confuse "food" with "meals". Food is any protein, fat or carbohydrate singularly or together that provides nourishment, period. Food doesn't have to be pot roast.

Sorry, you have a problem with my statement but it is actually factual. Older people definitely benefit from more bio-available protein especially very active people. Whey powder is nothing more than mechanically filtered and dried whey and not only does it help with muscle repair and development but with heart health, diabetes prevention and inflammation. People that use whey have more muscle and less body fat especially older people. It is probably the easiest protein to digest apart from hydrolyzed sources of protein.

Just think of it as a dairy food, which is what it is. There is nothing fancy or mysterious about it. The only possible side effect is gas.
Old 10-02-20, 07:48 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
All of our bodies are different. I have a balanced diet, but my blood work always showed lower levels of Vitamin D. I supplemented my diet with a multivitamin that had D in it, and now my D levels are better. My options were to restructure my diet to try to get more D or to take a supplement. The supplement worked, and I didn't have to change my diet.

Sport Legs is the only other supplement that I take. I take it before and during longer rides and it eliminates cramping.
Old 10-02-20, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have taken a muti vitamin and mineral tablet most of my adult life. This was on the advice of my brother that worked with Phd pharmacist. I dont know if it is due to the tablets or good genes or both, but I am in excellent health. I will be 82 in Dec, and can easily pass for a 65 year old. I can do pretty much anything I want to, and ride about 25 miles every other day. At the very least, I can say the vitamin and mineral tablets taken daily have done no harm. BTW my doctor says I am in the 99 percentile of men my age.
Old 10-02-20, 09:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have taken a muti vitamin and mineral tablet most of my adult life. This was on the advice of my brother that worked with Phd pharmacist. I dont know if it is due to the tablets or good genes or both, but I am in excellent health. I will be 82 in Dec, and can easily pass for a 65 year old. I can do pretty much anything I want to, and ride about 25 miles every other day. At the very least, I can say the vitamin and mineral tablets taken daily have done no harm. BTW my doctor says I am in the 99 percentile of men my age.
Yeah, but can you still "ace" the Montreal Cognitive Assessment test? At least one allegedly Stable Genius boasts that it is the real test for proving good health.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-02-20, 12:37 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Bennies have always worked well for me.
Likes For skookum:
Old 10-02-20, 04:44 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
My wife is convinced they work. I have genetic enemia and have tried iron supplements with marginal results. The problem is that I am on Thyroid medication so I have to be careful with iron or the leafy green stuff like spinach . Catch 22
Old 10-02-20, 04:50 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jjafterdark
I started taking supplements again this year, after many years of avoiding them, believing, as conventional "science" would have it, that basically you were paying for expensive pee.

I realized after 2 to 3 months that this was certainly not the case, and that I was clearly benefitting in a variety of ways. The interesting thing is, since the benefits aren't immediately clear and hence the gains so gradual, there is no 'light bulb' effect: as in "wow this is great." As a result, once you reach a higher plane of health, it just becomes "normal" or "average" as in, something you just take for granted.

Now, as far as the downsides. I am taking a lot of supplements. So many in fact, that it's almost an endurance event finishing them all. It require drinking a lot of water, and it's quite time consuming. I think I've reached my limit in terms of how many supplements I can take, in terms of time and patience.

Cost? I estimate I'm spending $40 to $50 a month but I'm very careful comparing cost and quality so someone who is less invested in research would probably spend considerably more. Compared to the average caffeine addict spending $100 to $200 a month at Starbucks, I don't think the expenditure is that great.

What are your experiences?
so what ya taking and why.
Old 10-02-20, 05:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by jjafterdark

Cost? I estimate I'm spending $40 to $50 a month but I'm very careful comparing cost and quality so someone who is less invested in research would probably spend considerably more. Compared to the average caffeine addict spending $100 to $200 a month at Starbucks, I don't think the expenditure is that great.
My caffeine addiction cost me less than $10 a month for a jar of instant coffee.
Old 10-02-20, 05:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My caffeine addiction cost me less than $10 a month for a jar of instant coffee.
if all you use is one jar, then you don't have a C8H10N4O2 addiction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.