Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand New bike crashed

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brand New bike crashed

Old 05-27-21, 06:39 PM
mwatt65 

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Brand New bike crashed

I bought a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 yesterday, On my first ride today A motorcycle turned left in front of me, We collided is it wrong of me to want a new bike? I cannot see any damage to the frame except a few scuff marks on the brakes. I was doing about 17MPH when we collided. With the carbon frame & forks, how would I tell if theirs damage? I have a few bruises & scrapes on my legs.

Thank you.
Likes For mwatt65:
Old 05-27-21, 06:45 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Get an attorney
Old 05-27-21, 06:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Depends.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-27-21, 07:05 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by mwatt65
On my first ride today a motorcycle turned left in front of me. We collided...
Isn’t it ironic?
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-27-21, 07:08 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Take the bike back to where you bought it to get the bike inspected. Go from there.
I assume you have the driver's insurance info?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-27-21, 07:09 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Two part perfect cacophony I'd say.
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Isn’t it ironic?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-27-21, 07:12 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I'm not a lawyer but I watch Perry Mason on MeTV quite often. As suggested above, I would have the shop look it over and assess the damage. I'm not seeing a scenario where the insurance company will give you a new bike just because it is a couple of days old. They will require proof of damages.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-27-21, 07:18 PM
mwatt65 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm not a lawyer but I watch Perry Mason on MeTV quite often. As suggested above, I would have the shop look it over and assess the damage. I'm not seeing a scenario where the insurance company will give you a new bike just because it is a couple of days old. They will require proof of damages.

I understand what you're saying about the insurance company not wanting to replace a new bike, but if the frame or the forks are compromised, how would I tell? plus if anything happens in the future to it the manufacture will blame the crash. It's their clients fault this happen.
Old 05-27-21, 07:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
the amount of money is nothing to an insurance company.
Old 05-27-21, 07:21 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
1st ride wreck !!! ... it's a Jonah bike ... replace it or live with its ill luck
Old 05-27-21, 07:24 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
if the frame or the forks are compromised, how would I tell?
That is why you want the shop you bought it from to look it over. If there is damage they find from the crash, there is your documentation for the insurance claim. If they say there is no damage, there is your documentation for the warranty.

Old 05-27-21, 07:26 PM
mwatt65 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
That is why you want the shop you bought it from to look it over. If there is damage they find from the crash, there is your documentation for the insurance claim. If they say there is no damage, there is your documentation for the warranty.

Thank you for a great explanation. makes sense.
Old 05-27-21, 08:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I bought a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 yesterday, On my first ride today A motorcycle turned left in front of me, We collided is it wrong of me to want a new bike? I cannot see any damage to the frame except a few scuff marks on the brakes. I was doing about 17MPH when we collided. With the carbon frame & forks, how would I tell if theirs damage? I have a few bruises & scrapes on my legs.

Thank you.
Was the motorcyclist given a citation?
Old 05-27-21, 08:30 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Sorry for the Crash.
Best to ride with a Bright Strobe light for Day Safety.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-27-21, 09:08 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
sure there is a chance that there is hidden damage that dont show up until months or years down the line. by than, you wont be able to get compensation. thats life. sometimes unfortunate things happen to good people.
Old 05-27-21, 09:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Please, let's not talk about any details of the accident.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bers-read.html

Old 05-27-21, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
As others have said take it back to the shop you purchased it from and have them inspect it or send it to someone like Calfee or Ruckus Composites and have them look at it. Beyond that talk with your attorney at law and insurance company. Beyond that keep it pretty quiet here until everything is settled.

Not good to ride with a strobe light, we are bike riders not a mobile discotheque it can be more a distraction and make it harder to see. Riding with a light during the day is fine but flashing and strobing is always best left on the dance floor or a haunted house or probably some CIA extrajudicial torture methods.
Old 05-27-21, 09:55 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Please, let's not talk about any details of the accident.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bers-read.html
Excellent advice.
Old 05-27-21, 10:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not good to ride with a strobe light, we are bike riders not a mobile discotheque it can be more a distraction and make it harder to see. Riding with a light during the day is fine but flashing and strobing is always best left on the dance floor or a haunted house or probably some CIA extrajudicial torture methods.
Very good to ride with a strobe light. You can't be serious advising otherwise. Billions have been spent R&D'ing bicycle stobes and they have persisted in the marketplace for decades. Bad? Define bad in that context.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-27-21, 10:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Very good to ride with a strobe light. You can't be serious advising otherwise. Billions have been spent R&D'ing bicycle stobes and they have persisted in the marketplace for decades. Bad? Define bad in that context.
I am serious and don't call me surely. I am sure plenty of money has been spent putting strobes on bicycle lights and yes something has remained on the market for a long time. That doesn't make it a good thing it just means it has stayed around or they know they can market it at people and those people will want to use it because they don't have to be on the receiving end of it. When ever I am confronted by a flashing or strobing light I have to close my eyes and look away which could lead to a crash on my end because I can't see. Thankfully I haven't ever had a seizure but know people who do.

I get it we like to think they work better because they are flashing and flashing things can grab attention. Some guy walking down the street with a closed trench coat doesn't really make you look twice but when his ding-a-ling is hanging out you notice. But unlike with the genitals which won't cause much harm if you look at them, a flashing light in your eyes can, especially white light (and non-warm light) which is more damaging to eyes.

Keep in mind we used DDT for around 30 years, Cocaine started life out as legal and sold in lots of places for health purposes, Informer by Snow spent 7 weeks at number 1 on the Billboard music charts. The point is we sometimes do things for long periods of time that may not always be right or good but if you market it correctly people will go for it.
Old 05-27-21, 10:33 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am serious and don't call me surely. I am sure plenty of money has been spent putting strobes on bicycle lights and yes something has remained on the market for a long time. That doesn't make it a good thing it just means it has stayed around or they know they can market it at people and those people will want to use it because they don't have to be on the receiving end of it. When ever I am confronted by a flashing or strobing light I have to close my eyes and look away which could lead to a crash on my end because I can't see. Thankfully I haven't ever had a seizure but know people who do.

I get it we like to think they work better because they are flashing and flashing things can grab attention. Some guy walking down the street with a closed trench coat doesn't really make you look twice but when his ding-a-ling is hanging out you notice. But unlike with the genitals which won't cause much harm if you look at them, a flashing light in your eyes can, especially white light (and non-warm light) which is more damaging to eyes.

Keep in mind we used DDT for around 30 years, Cocaine started life out as legal and sold in lots of places for health purposes, Informer by Snow spent 7 weeks at number 1 on the Billboard music charts. The point is we sometimes do things for long periods of time that may not always be right or good but if you market it correctly people will go for it.
How do you get the Attention of Cell Phone Drivers?
Why do you not Wear Dark Glasses?

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 05-27-21 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-27-21, 10:41 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
People who have seizures aren't allowed to drive. When you are riding west in the late afternoon do you keep your eyes closed because of the sun?
Oops rule number 2.
Likes For davidad:
Old 05-27-21, 10:43 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts

Thank you.
If the accident was reported and a report filed, you can get compensation from the moto rider if he was at fault.
Old 05-28-21, 12:06 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
If the accident was reported and a report filed, you can get compensation from the moto rider if he was at fault.
The bolded. Cyclists never want to admit that sometimes an accident isn't entirely the motorists fault. In my state they would be sharing the blame 50/50. Zero sum.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-28-21, 03:56 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
This is what I have learned about carbon frames over the years doing service work in a shop. If there was an impact, the sort where you and the bike are stopped upon impact and you were thrown off the bike, chances are there will be damage undetectable to the naked eye. In my shop we will not "safety inspect" carbon because we do not have the equipment to do the job properly.
We do offer opinions along with disclaimers. A proper inspection that will guarantee your safety will require equipment that can "see" the fibers of the material in the frame and detect faults in the structure.
Likes For TiHabanero:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.