Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

All-City Space Horse Wheel Upgrade

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-18-21, 08:38 AM
AZ4Mtb

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post

I have an All-City Space Horse and am wondering about wheel upgrade. The bike comes with unmarked JoyTech 32 hole disc brake hubs and WTB STP i19 700c rims. Not much info on the hubs. The dealer who sold me the bike suggested that the most consequential upgrade would be the wheels. I am curious about opinions for good, affordable wheels that would make a noticeable difference in ride quality. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-21, 09:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What "quality" would that be?

I'd just try changing to a different tire when the current are worn out. Different brands, makes and models of tires can make a big difference on how you perceive the effort it takes to pedal and the bumps you feel.

How do you ride this bike? Like you are in a race to beat everyone else or just a nice ride and don't care when you get home?
Old 06-18-21, 12:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ4Mtb
I have an All-City Space Horse and am wondering about wheel upgrade. The bike comes with unmarked JoyTech 32 hole disc brake hubs and WTB STP i19 700c rims. Not much info on the hubs. The dealer who sold me the bike suggested that the most consequential upgrade would be the wheels. I am curious about opinions for good, affordable wheels that would make a noticeable difference in ride quality. Thanks in advance.
Remove your wheels. Then remove the rotors, cassette, and tires(as well as tubes if thats how you roll).
Weigh both wheels completely void of anything more.

You will then at least have a starting point to compare your current wheelset with other options. If you dont know what you have, how can you know what will be 'better'?
I would be hesitant to hope for improved ride quality, unless your current wheels are wobbly and creaking or something obviously wrong like that. Ride quality will moreso come from frame design, geometry, tire size, tire pressure, and contact points.

Also, wheelsets vary from $150 to $4000. If you want some popular recommendations, you should list a budget so people dont take time to suggest wheels that are way above or below what you are wanting.
Old 06-18-21, 12:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What "quality" would that be?

I'd just try changing to a different tire when the current are worn out. Different brands, makes and models of tires can make a big difference on how you perceive the effort it takes to pedal and the bumps you feel.

How do you ride this bike? Like you are in a race to beat everyone else or just a nice ride and don't care when you get home?
I second this advice unless the OP has wire bead tires, in which case, he should switch to decent folding bead tires ASAP, which should "make a noticeable difference in ride quality."
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-19-21, 06:43 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Post a photo of the hubs and we can provide all the info you need.

Old 06-19-21, 09:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Without knowing much of anything based on what the OP wrote, I would say White Industries hubs laced to Velocity or H+Son rims with Sapim spokes and their Secure lock nipples. If you are a lighter weight rider and not carrying a bunch of stuff I might say go 28h. The handbuilt wheels are going to be nicer quality wise but may not do much else unless they happen to be lighterweight. The bearings will be better but beyond that it is really just weight that would be the biggest concern.

However a better wider and more supple tire at lower pressures will probably do a lot more than a wheelset would unless that wheelset is significantly lighter.