Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The need for speed...?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The need for speed...?

Old 08-16-21, 11:26 AM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
The need for speed...?

I'm re-thinking my attitude on why I have to go fast on my bikes. For instance, my local peleton always wants to go fast (relatively) on the flats (20-22 MPH on average) and then go slow as snails when they hit a hill. So I tend to lag (I like to enjoy the scenery) and then catch up to them on the hills and sometimes pass them; I do get some respect from the other riders because I use a gravel bike with smoother knobby tires. You would think that they would try to go faster up the hills and keep a decent cadence on the flats but I think human ego is involved here.

So, I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy myself and use my gravel bikes on the road and off w/knobby tires and not worry about going fast. Makes me happy.

Likes For cj3209:
Old 08-16-21, 11:39 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
Energetically speaking, if you want to maximize speed on a hilly course, you should put maximum effort into climbing (where your watts increase speed more) and recover on the downhill, where your watts don’t take you that much faster than terminal velocity. Of course, the race/group drafting and dynamics will have to be factored in as well.

Cycling: Uphill and Downhill

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-16-21, 11:43 AM
cj3209

Originally Posted by ofajen
Energetically speaking, if you want to maximize speed on a hilly course, you should put maximum effort into climbing (where your watts increase speed more) and recover on the downhill, where your watts don’t take you that much faster than terminal velocity. Of course, the race/group drafting and dynamics will have to be factored in as well.

Cycling: Uphill and Downhill

Otto
That link is VERY interesting, albeit slightly nerdy. Thx!
Old 08-16-21, 11:44 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
That link is VERY interesting, albeit slightly nerdy. Thx!
Most would say I’m slightly interesting and very nerdy. 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-16-21, 12:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10125 Post(s)
Liked 11,468 Times in 5,875 Posts
I'm re-thinking my attitude on why I have to go fast on my bikes. For instance, my local peleton always wants to go fast (relatively) on the flats (20-22 MPH on average) and then go slow as snails when they hit a hill. So I tend to lag (I like to enjoy the scenery) and then catch up to them on the hills and sometimes pass them; I do get some respect from the other riders because I use a gravel bike with smoother knobby tires. You would think that they would try to go faster up the hills and keep a decent cadence on the flats but I think human ego is involved here.

So, I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy myself and use my gravel bikes on the road and off w/knobby tires and not worry about going fast. Makes me happy.

"You will never be truly happy until you give yourself over completely to doing what other people like doing," said Nobody, Ever.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-16-21, 12:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts

20-22 MPH isn't that remarkable in the flats with half-decent pacelines. Perhaps if their uneven pace frustrates you (and it certainly frustrates me if I have to slow way down with a group for hills), you just need to find a stronger group to ride with. My club is mostly touring/party cyclists, so a couple of us just work our way to the front and break away if we get "the zoomies."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-18-21 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 02:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
So I tend to lag (I like to enjoy the scenery) and then catch up to them on the hills and sometimes pass them; I do get some respect ....
I'll bet your "peloton" would prefer that you adjust your speed to that of the group instead of doing the yo yo. Find another group if you can't get a comfortable fit.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-18-21, 08:44 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
The older I get.... slow is fast! 😆
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-18-21, 09:08 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Practice/rehearse so that your muscles 'know' what is expected of them. Bring your mind under control so that your muscles can react in the way that you've trained them.

Endeavor to become just fast enough to accomplish your intended purpose.

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion." - Lehi Jujitsu
Old 08-18-21, 09:37 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 799 Posts
cj3209 , I started a thread in this forum,
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-stickers.html.
I built this bike just for the reason for your OP. I still like to keep up a good pace, and I have a couple of bikes that are for when I want to do a fast ride. However, in the last couple of years I have really started to appreciate slowing down, stopping more often, and just generally be a casual biker more often. I placed the stickers on the bike to reflect what bikes and bike riding have been for me for a long time. The pictures include some close ups so the stickers can be seen and read. I have had some other cyclists comment that they like what I did with bike.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-18-21, 09:41 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Cycling for speed is a specific form of cycling. I've never understood the need for speed. Other outdoor activities don't emphasize speed. I hike, but hiking fast is not a goal in the hiking world. I ski both cross country and downhill, but for most skiers, speed is not the goal. I also take walks, but most walkers are not striving for speed. I kayak and canoe, but neither of these activities emphasize speed. But with cycling, there is a lot of talk about "improving" one's speed. There is nothing wrong with this, it that's what one wants to do. But some people simply like to pedal around, fast, slow, or whatever. So whatever speed you like is the right one.
Old 08-18-21, 09:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Fast or slow, i often feel the need for bike.
Old 08-18-21, 10:03 AM
cj3209

Originally Posted by delbiker1
cj3209 , I started a thread in this forum,
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-stickers.html.
I built this bike just for the reason for your OP. I still like to keep up a good pace, and I have a couple of bikes that are for when I want to do a fast ride. However, in the last couple of years I have really started to appreciate slowing down, stopping more often, and just generally be a casual biker more often. I placed the stickers on the bike to reflect what bikes and bike riding have been for me for a long time. The pictures include some close ups so the stickers can be seen and read. I have had some other cyclists comment that they like what I did with bike.
Love the stickers! I've changed as a cyclist; I am not riding competitively so I see no need to boost my ego by trying to outpace everyone. I ride for fitness and fun, hence my foray into gravel cycling.

Likes For cj3209:
Old 08-18-21, 01:20 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Cycling for speed is a specific form of cycling. I've never understood the need for speed. Other outdoor activities don't emphasize speed. I hike, but hiking fast is not a goal in the hiking world. I ski both cross country and downhill, but for most skiers, speed is not the goal. I also take walks, but most walkers are not striving for speed. I kayak and canoe, but neither of these activities emphasize speed. But with cycling, there is a lot of talk about "improving" one's speed. There is nothing wrong with this, it that's what one wants to do. But some people simply like to pedal around, fast, slow, or whatever. So whatever speed you like is the right one.
I prefer distance over speed on a bike any day. I'd much rather keep my own usual ~13 MPH average pace and go 40-50 miles or more than try to do 20 MPH the whole time and burn out after 10 miles. Part of the enjoyment of going places on a bike is the ability to slow down and actually enjoy the scenery, something that's hard to do with your head down trying to keep a 20 MPH pace in a peloton.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-18-21, 02:09 PM
cj3209

Originally Posted by milton keynes
... Part of the enjoyment of going places on a bike is the ability to slow down and actually enjoy the scenery, something that's hard to do with your head down trying to keep a 20 mph pace in a peloton.
that.
Likes For cj3209:
Old 08-18-21, 02:14 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
So you sit in on the flats watching the scenery while everyone else works? But then on the hills your massive wattage bazookas cannot be contained and you blast off (scenery be damned apparently...even though the best scenery is in the mountains) and don't wait for your riding companions (you know the people that towed you to the climb)?

That sounds like....well....it's certainly an "ego thing"...but not for whom you imply it is in your post.

I agree you should just ride by yourself until the ******es in your peleton(sic) can learn to keep up. Maybe next time in addition to running your knobby tires and still dropping those losers you can drag your brakes...so as to prevent from launching yourself into the Stratoshpere with your king kong FTP.

Likes For ChamoisDavisJr:
Old 08-18-21, 02:57 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
but fast is fun, 'specially down a curvy descent.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-18-21, 06:32 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 1,941 Times in 933 Posts
A recent crash has tempered my pursuit of speed and snappy descents. Keeping the rubber side down a tad slower is more fun in the long run.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-18-21, 06:42 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
For all but cyclist in a race, speed is not the holy grail that some think it is. The far higher percentage just like to ride a bike or trike and enjoy the ride, and the scenery.

The faster you ride the sooner you get home, and then what?
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-18-21, 11:01 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent

The faster you ride the sooner you get home, and then what?
Apparently our "then what" is that we post and reply on bikeforums. This includes fast and slow riders alike.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-19-21, 12:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The faster you ride, the more scenery you see in a given time, not less.
Old 08-19-21, 01:42 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
20-22 isn't really going all out, but you go on a group ride and basically ride solo?
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-19-21, 04:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
.... you go on a group ride and basically ride solo?
Yep, this is as much about social competence as cycling.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-19-21, 05:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
that.
Not always. I enjoy riding to work, but there’s no scenery to admire. Same with some of my local tours. They are more about the destination than the journey.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-21, 10:41 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The faster you ride, the more scenery you see in a given time, not less.
But not with your head down staring at your front wheel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.