Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Extreme newbie. Can you tell me anything about this bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 05:21 PM
Sulliusiby1n

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Specialized hardrock sport, direct drive custom. Off road Cr - Mo SFS tubing. Double Butted. Shimano gear assembly. What does this all mean?
Old 08-20-21, 05:54 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
It means you need a local knowledgeable friend to evaluate the bike before you plonk down good money and buy it.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-20-21, 06:10 PM
Sulliusiby1n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super helpful thank you
Old 08-20-21, 06:46 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Sorry your first response on the forum was snide and unhelpful. I can't say much other than I think the Hard Rock was the lowest level of Specialized mountain bikes. Went up to the Rock Hopper and the then the Stump Jumper.
Old 08-20-21, 07:19 PM
Sulliusiby1n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Sorry your first response on the forum was snide and unhelpful. I can't say much other than I think the Hard Rock was the lowest level of Specialized mountain bikes. Went up to the Rock Hopper and the then the Stump Jumper.

Thank you. I knew they were an older series. I’ll probably put some slicks on and just ride it on greenways and other paved trails anyway. I was just curious what all the markings were about.
Old 08-20-21, 07:31 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Originally Posted by Sulliusiby1n
Specialized hardrock sport, direct drive custom. Off road Cr - Mo SFS tubing. Double Butted. Shimano gear assembly. What does this all mean?

Specialized is the brand name of the bike
Hardrock Sport is the model name of the bike
Direct Drive Custom - I don't know
Off Road Cr-Mo SFS tubing is Specialized's name for the bike's steel frame. Cr-Mo means the the steel's alloying elements include chromium and molybdenum. Off Road implies that it is stronger for more rough use.
Double Butted means that the tubes are thicker at the ends for strength and thinner in the middle to be lighter weight.
Shimano gear assembly means that the manufacturer of most, if not all, of the bike's brake levers, calipers, shifters and derailleurs are made by Shimano.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 08-20-21, 08:08 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Direct Drive is a type of tubing . . . Pulled this off an old Bike Forums thread, post number 4:https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ve-tubing.html

"Specialized liked to coin a unique name for their bikes tubing that didn't pin it down to one supplier or manufacturer. Direct Drive was one of those names and it could be used for Tange-supplied tubing or same spec tubing from another source. It was seamless, drawn, and butted 4130 CrMo and that's what's important. The double butted tubing gages were typically 0.9-0.6-0.9, which is robust but reasonably light, and resulted in a 26.8 seatpost size for a standard 28.6 seat tube diameter. Tange Prestige, which was heat treated CrMo, could be drawn thinner and had gages as thin as 0.4, was top of the Tange line. Most likely no production Specialized bike used the thinner tube gage. The Direct Drive moniker was used for the Mark DiNucci designed road bikes from the early 90's that featured oversized (OS) tubing and DiNucci-designed custom lugs. The OS tubing was also being used on mountain bikes. Tange Prestige OS was available but Giant, a manufacturer of Specialized bikes at the time, also produced their own seamless double-butted tubing - so a "Direct Drive Custom Butted" label could refer to this "house-brand" of tubing.
Prior to the "Direct Drive" name, when Specialized moved their bike manufacturing sources to primarily Taiwan, they used other custom labels. Here's the one from my 1987 Allez, which almost certainly was manufactured by Giant and used Giant produced tubing."

If you decide to purchase the bike, enjoy your new ride!
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 08-20-21, 08:28 PM
Sulliusiby1n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Specialized is the brand name of the bike
Hardrock Sport is the model name of the bike
Direct Drive Custom - I don't know
Off Road Cr-Mo SFS tubing is Specialized's name for the bike's steel frame. Cr-Mo means the the steel's alloying elements include chromium and molybdenum. Off Road implies that it is stronger for more rough use.
Double Butted means that the tubes are thicker at the ends for strength and thinner in the middle to be lighter weight.
Shimano gear assembly means that the manufacturer of most, if not all, of the bike's brake levers, calipers, shifters and derailleurs are made by Shimano.
Thank you for the thorough explanation! I’m just trying to learn more about it.
Likes For Sulliusiby1n:
Old 08-21-21, 03:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sulliusiby1n
Thank you for the thorough explanation! I’m just trying to learn more about it.

If you haven't bought it yet, be sure it fits you. That seems to be a common newbie mistake.

Enjoy!