Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Haibike SNAFU

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Haibike SNAFU

Old 08-25-21, 10:33 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Haibike SNAFU

My 2017 Yamaha-equipped Haibike SDURO display system isn't operational, meaning when I install the battery and push the "on" button, nothing happens. I replaced the battery in the display (apparently the display doesn't operate from the main battery) to ensure that wasn't the problem, but nothing happened. This bike has been used sparingly since I've always enjoyed my DIY bikes more, but worked fine yesterday. The bike has never been dropped, operated in adverse conditions, jumped or otherwise mistreated and still appears new. None of the wires are loose, broken or whatever although some are hidden in the frame tubes. The main battery tested fine. Apparently Haibike has left the US because when I put my location into their system for either sales or service, it directed me to their nearest location, Iceland. Fortunately a local shop agreed to look at the bike tomorrow. If this were a DIY bike it wouldn't be a problem since the motor, controller, wires etc are external and can be tested. Additionally, the company would still be available (one can procure any part for my BBS02 from many dealers). I'll try to continue the saga if anything interesting transpires. Cautionary tale for anyone thinking of an OEM bike or any used bike. If I ever procure another, it'll probably be from Specialized, trek or Giant.

Last edited by 2old; 08-25-21 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 09:30 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Haibike hasnt left the USA. I'm one of their dealers. But I will add I havent gotten any product for a LONG time, and the date for more keeps being pushed back. I think all their stock got diverted just to Europe.

Anyway, have you done anything with a meter to try and get some diagnosis? There were different displays so I cant tell you to try one thing or another.

-SP
Likes For speedy25:
Old 08-28-21, 06:31 AM
2old

This was the first problem I've ever encountered with this bike (or any mid-drive), and I'm not conversant with what to look for other than loose wires (none) or battery output (good). The bike has never been exposed to water, mud etc (this is CA, after all) and the contacts were intact, straight and clean. As reported, most of the wires are in the frame and were not disturbed. The "on" switch, a little nub in back of the PAS display could have failed, but is so integrated into the unit, I couldn't figure out how to test it. DIY systems are plugged into their respective components individually and can be tested (if necessary by replacement of the unit), but I was in a quandary. I didn't smell anything that might have indicated the controller of motor was "fried" on the previous ride the day before, so it seems to be something simple. Also, couldn't find anything helpful in the maintenance manual or on YouTube. Plus, I'm a Chemist not EE. speedy, thanks for your help.

Last edited by 2old; 08-28-21 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-28-21, 12:20 PM
2old

Question for speedy: Are you able to get Haibike parts? If so, where? As mentioned above, I was sent to Iceland for the nearest sales service establishment.
Old 08-30-21, 09:05 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Yes I can. i THINK you have an email or phone number for me from long ago.
Likes For speedy25:
Old 08-30-21, 11:30 AM
2old

Speedy, since then they've moved from CA to CO (if they're even still there), and their company was sold to Accel, so I'm at a loss. Also, just for information, did they provide tools for assessing problems? I don't mean error codes since my display won't light up (Yes, I changed the battery in the display, and AFAICT this just keeps the clock going when the main battery isn't connected). BTW, thanks again for your help.
Old 08-30-21, 12:41 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
I have 2017 Sduro as well. Really love the bike. Clean the contacts under the display. Drop the motor and clean all the contacts and go from there.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-30-21, 03:18 PM
2old

Thank you TA. I wiped the contacts under the display even though they looked shiny. The ones where the battery is attached looked fine and weren't cleaned. Probably should have cleaned them too. The bike is in the shop and hopefully I'll know something tomorrow. I agree it's a fun bike especially after I grafted a Fox fork and Easton wheel on the front and a Thudbuster on the seatpost.
Old 08-31-21, 01:21 PM
2old

The shop diagnosed the problem as a faulty on/off switch. This was accomplished by checking contacts (all OK), then replacing components with known entities until the culprit was ascertained. They needed to drop the motor in order to be able to connect the wire(s) from the switch unit. Damage $230 which I might as well pay since the part is $120 and I'm into it for $40 diagnosis. Hope the beauty of modular DIY is evident. Much less expensive parts (maybe $60 max) and free diagnosis and replacement since after three BBS02's I have lots of extras. Won't bore you'all again with this saga unless something untoward occurs. Likely to put this bike up for sale. Thanks again to all who helped.

Last edited by 2old; 08-31-21 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 07:52 PM
trailangel

Those switches are a weak point to the 2017 Yamaha system... just kinda floats around on the handlebar.. I'm wondering when mine will break off.
But I love the Yamaha motor! Mine is the FullNine 6.0.... and I really like the bike.
Old 09-08-21, 08:48 AM
2old

TA, I agree about the Yamaha motor, and the bike is as good as any e-hardtail that I've ridden (although I haven't ridden any of the new generation - post 2019 models). In retrospect, I think the shop overcharged for labor and "diagnosis" since they knew that the switch probably was the offending parameter, and the $120 for the switch wasn't much of a bargain either. They really cleaned up on the repair. Too bad Revel Propulsion didn't continue production. Their system was better than any OEM, IMO and modular.
Old 09-09-21, 10:48 AM
trailangel

I don't think $230 was out of line. It's a PITA to drop the motor... or my way.... turn the bike upside down (also hate to do this) and just take out 2 or the 3 bolts and pull it up.
Old 09-09-21, 11:17 AM
2old

It wasn't terrible since shops seem to charge $100 per hour for service, and with the wire wrapping and such, probably took in excess of an hour. The part could have been less expensive though since a similar DIY unit is about half as much. I'm just happy that Giant uses Yamaha systems; otherwise, probably would have been hosed. Haibike has gone downhill IMO since Tina was deposed.
Old 09-09-21, 03:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
That cost isn't so bad considering what is done. I have removed and installed some motors that are a right pain. Companies love love love to make everything really sleek and clean but leave almost no room for cables or don't position them as well as they could and that can cause some damage. It is a shame but hopefully one day they will figure it out. I am all for clean and sleek but would rather have a touch of bulk if it means my cables aren't damaged and hard to install and remove heck even removable panels would work or maybe a partially wireless system would be neat.