Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Importance of Cadence

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Importance of Cadence

Old 08-31-21, 01:11 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Importance of Cadence

Hi all , I have a bike computer that has a cadence feature for the first time since the 80's so essentially the first time ever lol. I have no idea of the importance of cadence or if it is really a very meaningful thing to pay attention to.

On my last ride I averaged about 17 MPH for 17 miles and my average cadence was 89. I didn't feel like I was bouncing or spinning the pedals crazy fast. I don't really pay attention to much on the computer other than the time I am on the bike and my speed.

Any input would be helpful. This is my second full season of cycling since I took it back up and have been getting between 60 and 90 miles a week and feel reasonably fit.

I've also lost about 10 pounds and lowered my BP about 20 points. That's where its at !!!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-31-21, 01:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
New riders tend to use too big of a gear and mash a slow cadence, which can be uncomfortable and put stress on the knees, so you'll see a lot of advice to increase cadence. Don't think that applies to you, you're not mashing at all, so if 89 rpm works for you, keep going.
Old 08-31-21, 01:29 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by caloso
New riders tend to use too big of a gear and mash a slow cadence, which can be uncomfortable and put stress on the knees, so you'll see a lot of advice to increase cadence. Don't think that applies to you, you're not mashing at all, so if 89 rpm works for you, keep going.
I def do not mash a low cadence lol !!!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-31-21, 01:36 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
IMHO there are two important uses for cadence on a cycling computer. (1) Help a newbie learn what a decent cadence is -- as caloso mentioned, don't mash! (2) For a loaded tourist, it can be a help to avoid mashing and hurting your knees. For the tourist, mashing is problem that's accentuated doing repeated long days, with heavy loads in steep terrain.

Since neither of these apply to you, cadence: isn't that an interesting number!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-31-21, 02:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
I think there’s more to cadence than simply saying don’t mash, and I actually monitor cadence quite a lot in my training as I seek to develop my all-around cycling ability. On its own, it’s not so interesting perhaps, but understanding how it intersects with power and heart rate helps me optimize output and recovery.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-31-21, 02:45 PM
Ishamael

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki International, 198(?) Kuwahara Apollo Sierra

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I really struggle with maintaining a good cadence. I definitely tend to prefer to mash at a low cadence and have to be really conscious to try and correct it. As soon as I stop paying attention, I find I'm spinning slowly again. I'm sure it has a lot to do with not being in the best of shape, so I find I tire myself very quickly if I try to spin faster. I can go a lot longer at a slower cadence...until I hit a hill, which just sucks all my momentum away and pedalling becomes an agonizing grind.

I think part of my struggle is that my road bike has biopace chainrings, which if I recall correctly, encourage a lower cadence.
Old 08-31-21, 02:48 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
My cadence has been 95rpm for 40 years. I don't have cadence on my cyclometer and don't care for it.
Old 08-31-21, 02:56 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 659 Posts
I would refer you to this article that has a helpful discussion of the uses of different cadences in different situations.

https://cinchcycling.cc/blogs/news/t...ycling-cadence

The author gives specifics about when higher and lower cadences make sense and what those cadences typically are for both seated and standing work.

I hope that helps.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-31-21, 03:41 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 334 Posts
That 89 average is very good. My rides tend to average 75 to 80 rpm, even when I'm spinning in the 90s a lot during the ride. Easier paced portions usually have a lower cadence, down to the 70s. And hills are mostly low cadence, although I do like to climb at 90 rpm if the gearing allows it.

I have Di2 electric shifting, so it's easy for me to shift a lot. I'm always searching for the best feeling cadence. I'll sometimes shift for just a couple of revolutions, then shift again.
Old 08-31-21, 03:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I have no idea of the importance of cadence or if it is really a very meaningful thing to pay attention to.
For me personally cadence is unimportant and irrelevant. I never keep track of it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-31-21, 04:20 PM
kfried

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Seems like your cadence is good. Most of what I've seen is that the general target RPM should be ~90. But my experience seems to be the opposite of most. When I started seriously cycling, my cadence was naturally high--often in the upper 90s. As I've gained fitness and strength, that has come down sharply. Riding at 90-95 now feels to easy, and so I often find myself going down the cassette to find more resistance. When I finally check, I'll be in the 75-80 range and then have to move back up.
Old 08-31-21, 04:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10126 Post(s)
Liked 11,469 Times in 5,875 Posts
For me, it was a useful thing to have on my cyclocomputer when I started riding more seriously, just to train my legs to spin. Now I mostly don't think about it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-31-21, 04:41 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

It’s useful to bear in mind that it takes internal work to spin your legs and feet at a particular speed. This is on top of the work that is externally applied through the pedals to move you and your bike forward against the various external forces.

Though we may not bother to think about it, it’s simple and obvious physics, and Formenti’s group at Kings’s College have published data to quantify that work in terms of watts/kg (of rider). We’ve had some good discussions about this in the SS/FG Forum.

This internal work is strongly dependent on cadence. For me as an example, I need about 75 watts just to spin my legs at 110 rpm, about 55 watts to spin at 90 rpm, 25 watts at 70 rpm and 8 watts at 50 rpm.

I think this explains in part why casual cyclists usually pedal slowly: they don’t have the cardiovascular capacity to push themselves forward at the speed they want to go while also spinning a fast cadence.

It also explains why pedaling fast and easy makes a great warmup, because there isn’t a lot of pedal force required, but you increase the CV load and get your pulse rate higher.

As the article above points out, there are many occasions to use a high cadence, but there are also many occasions to use a lower cadence, including maintaining a speed once you’ve accelerated. You will use lower total energy maintaining a particular speed at a lower cadence, but obviously that is counterbalanced by the need to maintain a cadence high enough to keep pedal force reasonable.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-31-21, 04:42 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 799 Posts
Cadence can be a useful tool. Indeed, it is for many. I have not had a cadence sensor in a long time. I know real close to what my cadence is by feel. For me, at this point and the way I ride now, the only things I bother looking at are the time of day, trip miles, average speed; and will see the ride time if coursing through the menu. During the ride and when I get home, the miles number is the one I am most interested in. My cadence comfort zone is 75 to 105 rpm, with 80 to 90 rpm the real sweet spot. In most situations, in the proper gearing, I can do that all day long.

I have riders that fly by me that are turning at a slow cadence in high gear and keep at it as long as I can see them. If I tried that for any length of time, I would likely be taking a couple of days off. Like so many questions, it depends on how and why you ride. Of course, health factors have to be thrown in there.
Old 08-31-21, 05:13 PM
Digger6255

Bikes: CAAD13 Disc, Ridley Fenix, Electra Lux 7D

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I've always been somewhat of a masher but have been following a Sufferfest training program that is forcing me to keep a higher cadence. I'm also getting to know how different cadence (60 vs 90) feels so I won't always have to rely on a cadence sensor. I was probably in the 65 or so range most of the time but now it seems my real comfort zone is around 85-90.
Old 08-31-21, 05:52 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
just keep riding!
gm
Old 08-31-21, 06:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Hi all , I have a bike computer that has a cadence feature for the first time since the 80's so essentially the first time ever lol. I have no idea of the importance of cadence or if it is really a very meaningful thing to pay attention to.
On my last ride I averaged about 17 MPH for 17 miles and my average cadence was 89. I didn't feel like I was bouncing or spinning the pedals crazy fast....
Any input would be helpful. This is my second full season of cycling since I took it back up and have been getting between 60 and 90 miles a week and feel reasonably fit.
I've also lost about 10 pounds and lowered my BP about 20 points. That's where its at !!!
Awesome! You're doin great! 89 avg is commonly where most riders like to be.
Importance of cadence - I'll prolly over-simplify...
cycling is a balance of muscle power and cardio fitness. at any given speed/effort (climbing, steady roll on the flat, acceleration, etc) the slower you pedal the greater muscle power you have to exert to hold or increase that speed. The faster you pedal the greater the load shift to your cardio fitness and ability to transport oxygen...
Pedaling actually causes msucles to work against each other during the full pedal stroke. So 'training' of riding also involves training the muscle to contract and release as other muscles and groups take over in the pedal stroke - Efficiency... The more efficient a rider's pedal stroke the less energy is expended, the lower the oxygen transport requirement.
A rider who only rides at 60 rpm will have a more difficult time as the need for speed or power is increased. A rider who can comfortably ride at 90+ rpm will be more 'efficient' than the 60 rider. That rider who can do 90+ will also be able to rider longer, at higher speeds, climb better and generally will have greater power and endurance than a rider who stays at 60.
Lower rpms, when the exertion level is moderate or low, require lower power or aerobic work, there are times when this is great. But often when the effort gets harder, that limited rider will not be able to perform anywhere near as well as a more 'efficient' rider with higher cadence comfort.
It doesn't mean much if you ride alone and rarely, if ever, put yourself under exertion. But come to a tough uphill and that rider will falter...
There's a lot to this, much more than my short paragraph. Developing a wider cadence range takes time, not weeks or even months... sometimes longer.
Riding with a cadence meter and not...
If you have it, it's always there for reference. If you don't, then there's timing yourself (like we did in the ancient days). I like having cadence on many of my bikes.
After a while cadence can become 'natural'... But also easily lost, when you're not riding regular. muscle memory fades relatively quickly.
Even our 'remembrance' of what 90 felt like can go awry... Simply, the faster you can comfortably spin the pedals, the easier and lighter the load on your legs at any rpm...
Thx
Yuri
once asked "is it better to spin a smaller gear or push a bigger gear", Eddy Merckx replied "It's best to spin a Big gear".

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-31-21 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-31-21, 06:20 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
Obviously if you have been riding since the 80’s and you are averaging around 90, you really have little need to keep track of your cadence.

I went the opposite direction. Had a cadence reading on my computer in the 80’s and haven’t used it since.

Higher cadence can be a double edged sword, it is great for spinning along, but not if you lose power at a lower cadence.

Spinning at 100rpm up a hill at 5mph is not a good thing. Being able to also have power at a lower cadence is better than just spinning your brains out on a climb.

John
Old 08-31-21, 06:35 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Obviously if you have been riding since the 80’s and you are averaging around 90, you really have little need to keep track of your cadence.

John
I wish I had been riding continuously since the 80's ....took a few decades off. This has been a great thread for me!! I appreciate the responses. I am a leaner skinnier guy so I probably haveca naturally higher cadence because I don't have the muscle mass to slowly spin a bigger gear and maintain speed.

With my new Domane I can actually use the big ring on the crank and still spin pretty fast.
Old 08-31-21, 06:40 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,309 Posts
I wish I had been riding continuously since the 80's ....took a few decades off. This has been a great thread for me!! I appreciate the responses. I am a leaner skinnier guy so I probably haveca naturally higher cadence because I don't have the muscle mass to slowly spin a bigger gear and maintain speed.

With my new Domane I can actually use the big ring on the crank and still spin pretty fast.
I learned riding a mtb that high cadence spinning was not everything.

John
Old 08-31-21, 06:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

I wish I had been riding continuously since the 80's ....

Not to piss on your party, but your Domane gearing is certainly and quite a bit lower than anything you were riding in the ‘80s.
Old 08-31-21, 06:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I learned riding a mtb that high cadence spinning was not everything.

John
likely...
riding on a rough road, cobbles, hard dirt is often better, and safer at a lower rpm and constant power load....
But then I'm a roadie, been a racing roadie since '69...(stopped in 2012) so my comments are 'roadie'.
Even now, after some recent serious slack time, I have a hard time just doin a 'birds/bees, flowers' ride... LOL
Learning to do that... but roadie cadence gets me over most anything... just doesn't seem to help when I ride with the under 40 guys in these parts... LOL!
... a goal... then there'll be another after that one...
Thx
Yuri
Old 08-31-21, 07:08 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by cyclezen
It doesn't mean much if you ride alone and rarely, if ever, put yourself under exertion. But come to a tough uphill and that rider will falter...
There's a lot to this, much more than my short paragraph. Developing a wider cadence range takes time, not weeks or even months... sometimes longer..
Ride single speed or fixed gear and you will soon force yourself to manage at all cadences.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-31-21, 07:22 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by ofajen
Ride single speed or fixed gear and you will soon force yourself to manage at all cadences.

Otto
…except at the velodrome.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-31-21, 07:34 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by chaadster
Not to piss on your party, but your Domane gearing is certainly and quite a bit lower than anything you were riding in the ‘80s.
Lol .... Im sure ....and my Trek 2.3 has a Dura Ace crank with a BIG big ring ......not even close to using it .... I like the gearing on the new bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.