Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which canti do I have, no fine adjustment

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-13-21, 11:34 AM
letank

Bikes: Specialized Allez (over 15K), Soma Saga (new used addition)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Got a 2nd hand bike,10 year old Soma frame with Shimano Ultegra, and shimano canti brakes, but there is no way to adjust the brake cable, anything that I am missing? If I tighten the cable at the allen, I will not be able to remove the wheel!

I replaced the pads, and check contact, but it is still not performing as well as my older bike.

thank you for your responses

Old 09-13-21, 11:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
You can add a barrel adjuster where your cable housing enters the cable stop on the seat stays. Probably any bike shop will have one. As for removing the wheel, pop the cable out of the nds canti arm.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-13-21, 11:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
What shelbyfv said.
Old 09-13-21, 12:00 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I would say get some of these if your levers don't have built in releases.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/SM-CB90.html

So what do you mean by performance? Lever feel? Mushiness? Stopping distance? Sound?
IMHO braking isn't about the caliper or types of canti's, it is about whatever adjustment they have, the cable feel and the pad. I have always replaced my pads with Scott Mathauser pads and never been disappointed in braking power.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics

Last edited by canopus; 09-13-21 at 01:20 PM. Reason: sp
Likes For canopus:
Old 09-13-21, 12:41 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
+1 on the barrel adjuster. Jagwire makes a mickey adjuster that fits into the TT stop instead of the rear stop.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-13-21, 12:47 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 417 Posts
I suggest reading the Sheldon Brown article on canti adjustment: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 09-13-21, 01:00 PM
letank

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You can add a barrel adjuster where your cable housing enters the cable stop on the seat stays. Probably any bike shop will have one. As for removing the wheel, pop the cable out of the nds canti arm.
thank you ... barrel adjuster was the key word... I could not find. Yes, I figured out about the cable release, like the mountain bike, the shimano on the older bike had a release lever ,not a frequent poster-,but mechanically inclined... changed the headgasket on my kid's car, and degreed the camshaft on an older jeep.

Originally Posted by canopus
I would say get some of these if your levers don't have built in releases.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/SM-CB90.html

So what do you mean by performance? Lever feel? Mushiness? Stopping distance? Sound?
IMHO braking isn't about the caliper or types of canti's, it is about whatever adjustment they have, the cable fell and the pad. I have always replaced my pads with Scott Mathauser pads and never been disappointed in braking power.
Thank you, that was my first stop, to the LBS, was handed the Scott Mathauser pads, not too much change, no sounds, but stopping distance is too long, I not will do the Conzelman grade in the Headland until the brakes are good , not mushy... wheels are true, pad wear is even.
Old 09-13-21, 01:29 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 722 Posts
For better adjustability I would suggest getting rid of the link wire system and using a straddle wire and carrier instead. You will need to provide a means of catching the straddle wire if the main brake cable parts, to prevent the straddle wire from fouling the tire and locking the wheel, but that can be as simple as a reflector bracket or a loop of twine.
Old 09-13-21, 01:33 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by letank
Thank you, that was my first stop, to the LBS, was handed the Scott Mathauser pads, not too much change, no sounds, but stopping distance is too long, I not will do the Conzelman grade in the Headland until the brakes are good , not mushy... wheels are true, pad wear is even.
Then I would ask, What distance is long for you at what speed? What are you comparing them to? How long did you ride the new pads and were they actual Mathauser's (I never see these in a bike shop) or Kool Stops? My Kool Stop Salmon's, I feel, are grabbier than the Mauthauser's but they don't stop for crap when wet.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 09-13-21, 05:13 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Also, to answer your original question, I believe the shimano model number for those brakes is BR-R550. Instruction manual is here if you want it.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 09-13-21, 05:20 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
jsut to make sure, you don't have V-brake only levers on? They don't have enough leverage. The cable sits differently than in canti or sidepull levers (unless you have drop bars, of course)
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 09-14-21, 05:09 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
It looks like the return spring adjustment screw on the pictured brake arm is threaded all the way in. While not necessarily wrong, it is atypical and could indicate other issues with brake adjustment. I generally keep all return springs adjusted as loose as possible but as tight as necessary. This generally improves brake lever feel and is a good foundation for the rest of the brake system adjustment.

In addition to checking out the Sheldon Brown link above, I'd thread the return spring adjustment screws all the way out and even verify that the spring pins are in the middle hole in the cantilever bosses (if multiple holes are present). Once you've verified the spring pins are in the middle hole, use the return spring adjustment screws only as necessary to center the brake arms on the rim.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-14-21, 12:06 PM
letank

Originally Posted by AeroGut
Also, to answer your original question, I believe the shimano model number for those brakes is BR-R550. Instruction manual is here if you want it.
Thank you Aerogut, this is the salvation, as per the instruction manual the brake washers had been put incorrectly, which had made the alignment a real pita... but I made it work yesterday. I have a firm control of the rear brake... with good stopping power.

I will do the front later.

Yes I have drop bars

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
It looks like the return spring adjustment screw on the pictured brake arm is threaded all the way in. While not necessarily wrong, it is atypical and could indicate other issues with brake adjustment. I generally keep all return springs adjusted as loose as possible but as tight as necessary. This generally improves brake lever feel and is a good foundation for the rest of the brake system adjustment.

In addition to checking out the Sheldon Brown link above, I'd thread the return spring adjustment screws all the way out and even verify that the spring pins are in the middle hole in the cantilever bosses (if multiple holes are present). Once you've verified the spring pins are in the middle hole, use the return spring adjustment screws only as necessary to center the brake arms on the rim.

Thank you all for the infos, yes for the adjustment screws... I observed that and found it odd, good pick ... will correct

The other glitch

Last edited by letank; 09-15-21 at 11:21 AM. Reason: update
Likes For letank:
Old 09-15-21, 07:11 PM
letank

Took care of the glitch and set up the concave washers properly , one on each side... a lot easier. Brakes are much better, did a quick 20 mile ride .

The Scott/Mathauser pads are the Yokozuna brand.

Thanks again for the support

Post edit: with all the hardware set properly, it does not seem that I will need that cable adjuster hardware!

Last edited by letank; 09-16-21 at 09:53 PM.
Likes For letank: