Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

beginner cassette troubleshooting

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-16-21, 05:07 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

I'm fixing up a yakota legend, which is a little more modern than most of the bikes I work on, so some of this is new to me. It has a 7sp Shimano hyperglide cassette instead of a free wheel, and the cassette had a considerable amount of play before I removed it. I had hoped it was just a loose lock ring but the lock ring was on there pretty snug. I watched a few videos and it suggested that a spacer might be missing, but there is a spacer both behind the entire assembly and between the removable cog and the rest, which are fused together.

There is a small amount of play in the actual splined part of the hub, but that seems to be a lot less than what I was feeling as I wiggled the cassette.

Where do I start looking for solutions? Do I need bigger spacers? More spacers? Do I need to do something to service the splined part of the hub? Or do I need to just throw the entire wheel in the gulf and start over?

Any help is always appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-16-21, 05:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Depending on the hub you can just throw a new freehub on it.
https://www.performancebike.com/shim...hchdgcstqrgqhe
Old 09-16-21, 05:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Probably just the bearings need adjusting. Is it this one?

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...0-7S-2389C.pdf

Also if you haven't already..

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Old 09-16-21, 05:49 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138
I'm fixing up a yakota legend, which is a little more modern than most of the bikes I work on, so some of this is new to me. It has a 7sp Shimano hyperglide cassette instead of a free wheel, and the cassette had a considerable amount of play before I removed it. I had hoped it was just a loose lock ring but the lock ring was on there pretty snug. I watched a few videos and it suggested that a spacer might be missing, but there is a spacer both behind the entire assembly and between the removable cog and the rest, which are fused together.

There is a small amount of play in the actual splined part of the hub, but that seems to be a lot less than what I was feeling as I wiggled the cassette.

Where do I start looking for solutions? Do I need bigger spacers? More spacers? Do I need to do something to service the splined part of the hub? Or do I need to just throw the entire wheel in the gulf and start over?

Any help is always appreciated. Thanks!
Freehubs don’t generally have the wobble that is typical of freewheels. If the cassette is loose on the freehub body, the likely problem is a spacer. You may need up to 4mm of spacer. Any bike shop should have some spacers around. Get a few widths if you can.

Post pictures yet so that we can see the spacer.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-16-21, 06:22 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Originally Posted by dedhed
Depending on the hub you can just throw a new freehub on it.
https://www.performancebike.com/shim...hchdgcstqrgqhe
Kind of looks like this might be the solution. See the picture below in the comment about the grooves in the free hub. Still, as someone who's used to being able to throw a $15 freewheel on when the old one wears out, I'm a little annoyed that I have to spend 32 bucks just to replace a piece of this whole mess.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Probably just the bearings need adjusting. Is it this one?

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...0-7S-2389C.pdf

Also if you haven't already..

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Thanks, I checked the Sheldon brown article before I posted just in case. I watched a few videos too and even the park tool video said that there is a tiny amount of play that's normal in a free hub body. It is very minimal in the freehub body. But it was pretty pronounced when the cassette was on there.
Do you mean the hub bearings? Those are fine. I checked for a play in The hub itself and it's solid.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Freehubs don’t generally have the wobble that is typical of freewheels. If the cassette is loose on the freehub body, the likely problem is a spacer. You may need up to 4mm of spacer. Any bike shop should have some spacers around. Get a few widths if you can.

Post pictures yet so that we can see the spacer.
I didn't have the spacers handy for a photo but they are 1 mm spacers and there are two of them all together. They seem to be in good shape.

I noticed when taking the picture of that the free hub itself has some grooves either worn or cut into it transverse to the splines' direction. I don't know if this is something that is done on purpose or if it's just a sign of wear.
Old 09-16-21, 06:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Posting the actual hub model# can be useful to point you to an exploded view of such hub.
Old 09-16-21, 06:32 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Kind of looks like this might be the solution. See the picture below in the comment about the grooves in the free hub. Still, as someone who's used to being able to throw a $15 freewheel on when the old one wears out, I'm a little annoyed that I have to spend 32 bucks just to replace a piece of this whole mess.
No, I doubt that the freehub is worn enough to cause problems with fit. That’s just not the way that the splines work or wear.

I didn't have the spacers handy for a photo but they are 1 mm spacers and there are two of them all together. They seem to be in good shape.
Get a 2 or 3 more of the same thickness. Put on enough so that the lock ring clamps down on the cassette and it doesn’t move.

I noticed when taking the picture of that the free hub itself has some grooves either worn or cut into it transverse to the splines' direction. I don't know if this is something that is done on purpose or if it's just a sign of wear.
The cassette can’t spin on the freehub body. The splines prevent it. They can chew into the shoulders of the splines but they don’t spin. You splines look good and don’t seem to have any gouges on the body. It’s likely just a spacer problem. Try that first.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-16-21, 06:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Kind of looks like this might be the solution. See the picture below in the comment about the grooves in the free hub. Still, as someone who's used to being able to throw a $15 freewheel on when the old one wears out, I'm a little annoyed that I have to spend 32 bucks just to replace a piece of this whole mess. .
That's just the first one that came up in stock in my quick google. You can certainly find them cheaper if you look.

I personally would try spacers on the cassette first as suggested. If you have a coop around you can probably pick up spacers and/or a freehub cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29312117342...8AAOSwx6ldBAG9
Old 09-16-21, 07:54 PM
cyrano138

Okay, why do none of the spacers look the same as what's on there? Can I just use any spacer that says it's for Shimano? I'll post a picture of the spacer tomorrow.
Old 09-16-21, 10:01 PM
cyccommute 

Okay, why do none of the spacers look the same as what's on there? Can I just use any spacer that says it's for Shimano? I'll post a picture of the spacer tomorrow.
Some times a cassette spacer is used rather than a flat spacer. It doesn’t matter as long as it’s thick enough.

Old 09-17-21, 12:00 AM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Some times a cassette spacer is used rather than a flat spacer. It doesn’t matter as long as it’s thick enough.
Thanks!
Old 09-17-21, 03:16 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I'm fixing up a yakota legend, which is a little more modern than most of the bikes I work on.
When I look up the bike, it seems the most modern is out of the 90’s.

Can you let us know if the hubs have any model number?

Can you measure the freehub body, (where the cassette is installed), from the end to the cassette stops?

7 speed is 31mm and 8-10 speed is 35mm.

Freehub bodies tend to have a very slight amount of play. I’m less inclined to think the freehub body is bad, but step one is knowing what hub you have first.

John
Old 09-17-21, 07:06 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Freewheel bikes can bend and even break the rear axle. That stopped happening with the advent of the freehub, which put the drive side bearing nearer the load point at the dropout.

Very few of the many incremental changes in bike design have ended up actually saving the cyclist money, but at least some of them have improved strength and reliability.

You can still get freewheel hubs and replacement freewheels if you want a cheaper, weaker wheel. I'm in the planning process of rebuilding a nice bike from 1982 and am looking at a salvaged set of wheels with a 7-speed freewheel.
Old 09-17-21, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Where are the axle bearings? I thinking I should either be seeing them or the dust cap in that picture and I don't see either.

I'm still thinking the wobbly play you saw was the axle bearings not being adjusted correctly. But you were there I wasn't. So I'm just wildly guessing.
Old 09-17-21, 01:16 PM
MUDCOWS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Honestly looking at the photo I can absolutely guarantee you the freehub body pictured has play on it (just going by the grime scale). If the cassette is sliding along the freehub body then you have an issue with spacing. Before you embark on replacing the freehub body make sure to check rim wear, true, spoke tensions and seized spokes. Might be worth just investing in a new wheel.

Last edited by MUDCOWS; 09-17-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-17-21, 04:31 PM
cyrano138

I measured it at about 37mm today. I also picked up some spacers of various sizes from the bike shop. Haven't gotten into it yet, but once it's cleaned up I'll reassemble and see what happens.
The axle is definitely fine.
Old 09-17-21, 04:50 PM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Freewheel bikes can bend and even break the rear axle. That stopped happening with the advent of the freehub, which put the drive side bearing nearer the load point at the dropout.

Very few of the many incremental changes in bike design have ended up actually saving the cyclist money, but at least some of them have improved strength and reliability.

You can still get freewheel hubs and replacement freewheels if you want a cheaper, weaker wheel. I'm in the planning process of rebuilding a nice bike from 1982 and am looking at a salvaged set of wheels with a 7-speed freewheel.
Let me preface by response by saying I can't really back any of this up, and I have somewhat limited experience as a mechanic.

But I would be legitimately shocked if broken axles were in any significant way reduced by moving the force such a small distance. A 9mm steel rod, I'm guessing, would have a breaking (or in this case shearing?) strength well above 20, maybe even 30, kN. Even if it cut the distance of the application of force in half, that's still 10 or 15 kN. That's a lot of force. I could see it on a rigid mountain bike, where the axles are shock loaded routinely, but riding on a relatively smooth surface a 200lb rider just doesn't generate that kind of force.

Were broken wheel axles really that much of a problem? I've never seen it happen and I've certainly never broken one, in spite of the fact that I'm almost 200lbs and have put over 10k miles on a set of wheels more than once in twenty years of riding.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have strong feelings about it. Freewheel, cassette, it makes not much difference in the end and I can't see a tremendous advantage on either side. But I suspect that, as with other pastimes I'm very familiar with (sailing, surfing, tree work climbing), the industry has a way of convincing people they really need a particular upgrade even though the old one worked pretty much as well.

Upgrades are great if you can afford them, but the increased functionality should be somewhat proportionate to the increase in cost. Then again, I think road bike design peaked in the 80s, at least with respect to the functionality to cost ratio.

Thanks for coming to my talk.
Old 09-17-21, 05:53 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

If it were me, I’d disassemble the hubs and remove the freehub body.

Loosen the NDS locknut and cone and pull the axle out and the ball bearings.

If it is a Shimano hub, a 10mm allen wrench will remove the freehub body. Soak it in solvent, dry, and re-lube it. I use Phil’s Tenacious Oil.

Clean everything, re-grease, and re-assemble.

It is academic when it comes to maintenance whether it is a freewheel or a freehub. Both have a body that needs periodic cleaning and lubing.

Then you can play with the spacers.

John
Old 09-17-21, 07:04 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Let me preface by response by saying I can't really back any of this up, and I have somewhat limited experience as a mechanic.

But I would be legitimately shocked if broken axles were in any significant way reduced by moving the force such a small distance. A 9mm steel rod, I'm guessing, would have a breaking (or in this case shearing?) strength well above 20, maybe even 30, kN. Even if it cut the distance of the application of force in half, that's still 10 or 15 kN. That's a lot of force. I could see it on a rigid mountain bike, where the axles are shock loaded routinely, but riding on a relatively smooth surface a 200lb rider just doesn't generate that kind of force.

Were broken wheel axles really that much of a problem? I've never seen it happen and I've certainly never broken one, in spite of the fact that I'm almost 200lbs and have put over 10k miles on a set of wheels more than once in twenty years of riding.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have strong feelings about it. Freewheel, cassette, it makes not much difference in the end and I can't see a tremendous advantage on either side. But I suspect that, as with other pastimes I'm very familiar with (sailing, surfing, tree work climbing), the industry has a way of convincing people they really need a particular upgrade even though the old one worked pretty much as well.

Upgrades are great if you can afford them, but the increased functionality should be somewhat proportionate to the increase in cost. Then again, I think road bike design peaked in the 80s, at least with respect to the functionality to cost ratio.

Thanks for coming to my talk.
From Sheldon Brown's website:

"Avantages of Freehubs

Due to the location of the bearings in most Shimano Freehubs, the axle is supported closer to the ends. As a result, bent axles are rarely a problem with these hubs."

I volunteer as an amateur mechanic at a non-profit bike shop, where we see a lot of freewheels, and bent/broken axles are not uncommon. It's usually a MTB, but many road bikes see high impact on curbs and other hazards. There's a great reduction in moment arm when the bearing locknut is right against the dropout. As Sheldon Brown goes on to say, it's been a very successful design. See this link: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Old 09-17-21, 07:54 PM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by 70sSanO

If it is a Shimano hub, a 10mm allen wrench will remove the freehub body. Soak it in solvent, dry, and re-lube it. I use Phil’s Tenacious Oil.

It is academic when it comes to maintenance whether it is a freewheel or a freehub. Both have a body that needs periodic cleaning and lubing.

John
Would gear oil work?
Old 09-17-21, 09:01 PM
70sSanO

There has been much discussion that Phil’s is basically bar or gear oil at an exorbitant price. I don’t see an issue.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-17-21, 11:07 PM
cyrano138

There has been much discussion that Phil’s is basically bar or gear oil at an exorbitant price. I don’t see an issue.

John
Sweet! Thanks
Old 09-17-21, 11:43 PM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
From Sheldon Brown's website:

"Avantages of Freehubs

Due to the location of the bearings in most Shimano Freehubs, the axle is supported closer to the ends. As a result, bent axles are rarely a problem with these hubs."

I volunteer as an amateur mechanic at a non-profit bike shop, where we see a lot of freewheels, and bent/broken axles are not uncommon. It's usually a MTB, but many road bikes see high impact on curbs and other hazards. There's a great reduction in moment arm when the bearing locknut is right against the dropout. As Sheldon Brown goes on to say, it's been a very successful design. See this link: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Fair enough. I've cube across a few axles in my day that were slightly bent. I guess bent is just as bad as broken.
Old 09-18-21, 04:12 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
I measured it at about 37mm today. I also picked up some spacers of various sizes from the bike shop. Haven't gotten into it yet, but once it's cleaned up I'll reassemble and see what happens.
The axle is definitely fine.
If the freehub measures roughly 37mm in length, I'm fairly sure that means it's an 11-speed freehub. I'm pretty sure you'll thus need two standard spacers if you're going to run a 7-speed cassette.

A 7-speed cassette needs a 4.5mm spacer (or thereabouts - I've seen both 4mm and 4.5mm spacers sold for this purpose) to fit properly on a Shimano-compatible 8/9/10-speed freehub. However, an 11-speed freehub is wider in order to accommodate the wider 11-speed road cassette. Here, a 1.8mm or 1.85 mm spacer is required to use a 8 or 9 speed cassette (and a 1mm as well for a Shimano 10-speed cassette, as I recall; I've seen some sources that say it's not required for SRAM 10-speed cassettes, but I've never used one by SRAM so I can't say for sure that's the case).

If you only had the 4.5mm spacer behind the original 7-speed cassette, that could be the problem. Pretty sure you'll need both the 1.8mm or 1.85 mm and 4.5mm spacers to do that.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7-7.shtml#stay

https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1259/bi...compatibility/

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-18-21 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Add info omitted in first version.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-19-21, 07:58 AM
cyccommute 

John
I can’t disagree more. Start with the spacers. The problem cyrano138 describes is that the cassette is loose. Start with the simple problems before moving on to something more complicated.

Likes For cyccommute:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.