Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Getting power meter data into Strava - how are you doing it?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 09-19-21, 09:22 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 405 Posts

This question concerns getting outdoor ride power meter data into my Strava activities.
Strava, for better or worse, has become my "consolidated" source of all my stats. I get my Zwift power meter data for inside rides, all good. But now I'm outside with a new power meter pedal (garmin rally) and I'd like to add that data, too. Strava isn't giving an estimate on when it will be able to process the pedal/bluetooth feed, so I think I'm left to find some kind of cross-load from, ah, well... not obvious what I can do, from where, and whether this will create "duplicate ride records" on the Strava side. How are you solving this consolidation question? Thanks.
Old 09-19-21, 09:40 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 434 Posts
I assume from your question that you are recording your rides using Strava. Strava is probably the crappiest recording app for cycling, especially after they removed all sensor pairing. There are third-party smartphone apps that'll work like the Wahoo Fitness app, which is free and can upload activities to Strava.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-19-21, 10:08 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I just save my ride on my Garmin and it uploads the ride to Strava, power included. Are you just running Strava on your phone without a computer? I don’t think it reads power by itself.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-19-21, 10:27 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4183 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,776 Posts
Is there a garmin app that could do that, or are they too afraid that would take away business from their cycling computers?
Old 09-19-21, 10:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
I record my rides using a Garmin watch. The data just has my power output in it. Sounds like you're using Strava to capture and record the data. I think most cyclists who use Strava as a data repository use something else (app or device) to get the data, and then they send it to Strava.
Old 09-19-21, 06:10 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 323 Posts
Basically the only way to do that is to buy a Garmin or Wahoo head unit and stop using your phone to record rides.
Old 09-20-21, 07:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
This question concerns getting outdoor ride power meter data into my Strava activities.
Strava, for better or worse, has become my "consolidated" source of all my stats. I get my Zwift power meter data for inside rides, all good. But now I'm outside with a new power meter pedal (garmin rally) and I'd like to add that data, too. Strava isn't giving an estimate on when it will be able to process the pedal/bluetooth feed, so I think I'm left to find some kind of cross-load from, ah, well... not obvious what I can do, from where, and whether this will create "duplicate ride records" on the Strava side. How are you solving this consolidation question? Thanks.
The wahoo fitness app adds in power meters and hrm and such. Strava app does not.

I did that for a day or so waiting for a warranty return on my Bolt gps.
Old 09-20-21, 10:08 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Thanks, some useful stuff there.
Old 09-20-21, 10:16 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Looks like Strava can be a consolidation point and skip the mobile recording. Only downside I'm seeing now is that if I link G Connect, it's going to crossload 90 days of history. ugh. delete-a-thon? hmmm.
Old 09-20-21, 01:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

That just means you had a really good summer. 🙂
Old 09-20-21, 04:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
I use a Garmin Edge bike computer to record all my ride data. Then it just uploads automatically to Strava. I never use Strava itself on my phone to record rides.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-21-21, 01:56 AM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I use a Garmin Edge bike computer to record all my ride data. Then it just uploads automatically to Strava. I never use Strava itself on my phone to record rides.
Same here
Old 09-23-21, 12:27 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I have a Polar head unit and I watch which syncs to Strava via Polar Flow, same thing with Garmin users and the like. I think Strava can now pair with Bluetooth sensors again at least premium if not the free version, but a phone just isn't a very good bike computer.
​​​​​
Old 09-24-21, 07:44 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Basically the only way to do that is to buy a Garmin or Wahoo head unit and stop using your phone to record rides.
that is an absurd assertion. i use a smart phone for recording rides and it pairs with sensors and all gets uploaded to strava automagically. CycleMeter, 11$/yr, there are others out there too.
Old 09-24-21, 10:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Another option is to assume the reason the data isn't coming through is because you're off the charts good. This method doesn't get you fancy graphs or anything, but you can tell people your FTP is 900w, so it's a trade-off.
Old 09-24-21, 04:08 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
that is an absurd assertion. i use a smart phone for recording rides and it pairs with sensors and all gets uploaded to strava automagically. CycleMeter, 11$/yr, there are others out there too.

Interesting! I'd never seen that app before, thanks for the info! I just spent ages trawling their website. Always learning.

So you run this app on your phone, rather than recording the ride via Strava itself?

Their website says it's "free" but offers in-app purchases. Can you access most of the features via the free version or do you have to pay at some point?

Does having your powermeter connected to your phone negatively impact battery life much?

Last edited by tempocyclist; 09-24-21 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling fail
Old 09-25-21, 06:23 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts
Interesting! I'd never seen that app before, thanks for the info! I just spent ages trawling their website. Always learning.

So you run this app on your phone, rather than recording the ride via Strava itself?

Their website says it's "free" but offers in-app purchases. Can you access most of the features via the free version or do you have to pay at some point?

Does having your powermeter connected to your phone negatively impact battery life much?
i don't remember if i like their website or not. i will say that they have some very good tech support. for example, when i started as a paying customer i was on an iphone but later switched to a samsung, this was around memorial day. when the year ended and it being a subscription i was automatically billed as expected but it somehow remained with my iphone that i was no longer using. this happened on memorial day weekend. a few emails on saturday and sunday and they had me up and running again on my samsung, they were awesome in this respect.

in any case, i waited to respond because although i know it does not use much in the way of battery i just could not recall exactly so i completed a long ride (for me) and the results are in the image below. i don't monitor while i ride, the phone is in my jersey pocket. if i did monitor i am sure it would not last as long.

regarding the free version, that is what i used for a couple of years prior, it only recorded speed, distance, and location (but at the time that was all i cared about). this was supported via ads that at the time and they were very small at the top or bottom, can't recall. the paid version allows me to ride with sensors which is what i really wanted. i only have cadence and heart rate and both operate over bluetooth. a power meter would not consume much in the way of additional power since all sensors are transmitters and the phone only transmits during the pairing period. also i upload rides to strava as my repository. the app will track equipment but since i only have one bike i don't use that facility. there are other features that i just don't use but i suspect that is true of most of these apps or bike computers.

i do recall even when using the free version when i did have it mounted on my handle bars that i could watch my former self if i picked and rode a saved route. that was a pretty neat feature i thought, it allowed me to beat my former self or watch my present self crash and burn. it probably still has that feature but since it sin my pocket i dont really know for sure.

-scott

i cropped out the map but normally there is one visible.

Likes For spelger:
Old 01-18-22, 02:40 AM
Sunwukong

Bikes: Ribble R872, single speed frankencycle

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
New to sensors and still looking at power meters, but liking a phone based app, Cadence, for real time speed, cadence and heart rate data that posts to Strava, with options to add a power meter and lots of customization available
Old 01-18-22, 03:29 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
There are some 3rd party phone apps that will do this too. But, IMO, a dedicated bike computer is much better than one's phone.
ETA: I guess I should have read the whole thread before replying. It's already been covered I see.

Last edited by OBoile; 01-18-22 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 05:34 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,794 Posts
Once upon a time you could record your ride directly to the Strava phone app and your sensors (power meter, HRM) would pair. But for reasons I don't understand, they turned off that capability. Now, as people have said, you can do it with 3rd party apps.
Old 01-19-22, 05:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,737 Times in 3,658 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This ^^^ but a Wahoo Bolt. I move the Bolt between multiple bikes with no issues.
Old 01-22-22, 05:16 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
You need a dedicated cycling computer, or use an app on your phone that pairs with your power meter. The Wahoo Fitness app is actually quite good for this, at least it was when I last used it. I think recently I tried to use it while skiing and it didn't pair with my HR monitor anymore. So now I use my cycling computer while skiing, too. Funnily enough, I have a new pair of pants for that that just happens to have a single little inside pocket where my Wahoo just fits. But yea, try Wahoo app, the Strava app is known to be utter *****.
Old 01-27-22, 08:23 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
So now I use my cycling computer while skiing, too.
Good idea, I wanted data XC skiing last week and should have done that. I recently found out how to change the activity type in Strava (fairly trivial in Edit under the "...") so even though it will automatically upload as a bike ride it is easy to switch to a ski.

That CycleMeter phone app looks cool, I already bought a Bolt though.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 01-27-22 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-20-22, 04:02 PM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Phone app that records any BluetoothSmart BLE Sensors

I am the developer of an app for Android smartphones which will collect the data from any BluetoothSmart or BLE Sensors. If you have a power meter and would like to help, I will set you up as a test rider and you can use it for free. In addition, my app will automatically send your ride data to Strava at the end of each ride. Set it up once and forget it like convenience. It sounds like you already have a power meter, but for those who do not, my app will also calculate a pretty good estimate of power and it does not have an averaging delays like other apps.

If you are interested please visit: cykelstrom.com

You can also message me here.

Kind regards,
Chuck