Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

11 speed crank with 9 speed drivetrain or other workarounds to accommodate powermeter

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

11 speed crank with 9 speed drivetrain or other workarounds to accommodate powermeter

Old 09-19-21, 11:41 AM
MontrealCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I got an old bike, a 2x9 speed which came with a mix of 105 and Tiagra (but mostly Tiagra).

The thing is I just bought a 4iiii power meter because it was a good deal. It comes on a Shimano 105 FC-5800 left-side crank arm. Now I only need to buy a fitting crankset so that I can use it on the bike. But obviously, the FC-5800 is 11 speed, which from what I understand is not optimal in combination with a 9 speed drivetrain. So what are my options really ? Can I buy a 105 right side crank arm (available on ebay) and pair it with the 9 speed chainrings that I already got on the bike (FSA) or Shimano 9 speed chainrings that I can find on ebay ? Should I try to stick to an old 9 speed Tiagra crank (hard to find) ?

From what I understand, the crank arm on which the power meter is located can be used on any Shimano crank that is Hollowtech II.

The reason I bought the power meter is that I will eventually get a new bike with a brand new 105 groupset, and so I could just bring the power meter on the new bike. But in the meantime... I would be glad to hear from you guys.

Cheers
Old 09-19-21, 03:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,710 Times in 1,483 Posts
this is one of these times that saving money is probably going to end up costing you money. 5800 105 is out of production for 2-3 years now., so it is getting hard to find them new. Newer bikes are going to have 105 7000 series. so unless you find a bike with 105 5800 fast, you will not have matching crank arms.

My best advice would be to return it if you can (willing to bet clever training closeout ?) and then get the power meter you need to match the group you end up with when you finally get your new bike

I have no experience running 11speed cranks with 9 speed everything else, so won't guess there

Old 09-19-21, 03:25 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by MontrealCyclist
Hi everyone,

I got an old bike, a 2x9 speed which came with a mix of 105 and Tiagra (but mostly Tiagra).

The thing is I just bought a 4iiii power meter because it was a good deal. It comes on a Shimano 105 FC-5800 left-side crank arm. Now I only need to buy a fitting crankset so that I can use it on the bike. But obviously, the FC-5800 is 11 speed, which from what I understand is not optimal in combination with a 9 speed drivetrain. So what are my options really ? Can I buy a 105 right side crank arm (available on ebay) and pair it with the 9 speed chainrings that I already got on the bike (FSA) or Shimano 9 speed chainrings that I can find on ebay ? Should I try to stick to an old 9 speed Tiagra crank (hard to find) ?

From what I understand, the crank arm on which the power meter is located can be used on any Shimano crank that is Hollowtech II.

The reason I bought the power meter is that I will eventually get a new bike with a brand new 105 groupset, and so I could just bring the power meter on the new bike. But in the meantime... I would be glad to hear from you guys.

Cheers
Any HT2 cranks you can fit the crank arms fine. Just have them the same length and it'll work fine. I haven't tried to mix 9sp with 11sp, but 10sp with 11sp rings works absolutely fine.
Old 09-19-21, 04:01 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by MontrealCyclist
Hi everyone,

Cheers
Just wait till you get the new bike.
Old 09-20-21, 06:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 940 Posts
That left side crank arm should be compatible with any Shimano Hollowtech II road cranks. So you can run a 105 5600 or 105 5700 crankset. These are 10 speed cranksets and they should work fine with your 9 speed drivetrain.
Old 09-20-21, 06:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a 105 left side powermeter crank and it works perfectly with my first gen DA 7800 crankset, which works perfectly with 9 and 10 speed. I wouldn't even bother changing the chainrings.
Old 09-21-21, 07:07 PM
MontrealCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx everyone for the advices ! I decided to return the power meter (luckily I can) and instead invest in a pedal based power meter so that I save myself any hassle.