Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sports drink and water bottle cleaning ritual?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-22-21, 04:56 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts

I used to drink just plain water. But at some point, I started using sports drinks (Gatorade etc), which I like. However, those seems a perfect medium for bacteria growth!

I've been caught a few times when I came home late or tired, and forgot to clean the bottle. The next day? It was yucky!

Now, I do my best to rinse the bottle out as soon as I get home. But recently, I discovered "stuff" growing in the drinking spout! Upon closer examination, "stuff" are also found in area not easily reached, e.g. around the curvy narrow part of the bottle where the cage grabs the bottle... Needless to say, I didn't clean my bottle as thoroughly as I should have.

For those of you who use sports drinks, what do you do to clean your bottle?

And, if you're the absent minded kind like me, what's your best "rescue plan" to clean up bottles that got over-populated by sports drink fed bacteria?
Old 09-22-21, 05:06 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
hot water and soap, rinse and store in the freezer when not in use
Likes For Bolo Grubb:
Old 09-22-21, 05:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Dishwasher
Old 09-22-21, 05:48 PM
atnyc

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Dishwasher
I found dishwasher most disappointing.

It doesn't reach the part beyond the neck (the narrow part of the bottle). The backside of that part didn't get cleaned at all.

It's only when the bottle was dirty (because I forgot to clean it immediately) that I can actually SEE which part of the bottle did or didn't get cleaned.
Old 09-22-21, 06:54 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
hot water and soap, rinse and store in the freezer when not in use
Dishwasher or hot water and soap. Haven't tried the freezer thing.
Old 09-22-21, 07:07 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
I buy cheap bottles.
scalding water and bottle brush with dishsoap.

Any bottle doesn’t make the grade, even a little suspect gets tossed.
I buy cheap bottles. $2.78ea

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 09-27-21 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added link
Likes For Barry2:
Old 09-22-21, 07:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've got some Camelback bottles and you can take the spouts completely apart - I'll do that every once in a while, and give the parts an overnight soak in water with a tbsp of bleach, or so. It helps a lot, and would not buy any new bottles if the spouts couldn't be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.

Preventative maintenance goes a long way, though. Yes, rinse as soon as possible. Another thing that I'll do is contain the funk somewhat by assigning bottles for sports drink duty... like, for the lifetime of the bottle. Those not assigned to sports drink duty get water only - this keeps them from getting as funky. When I head out on a ride, I'll grab one of each bottle.
Old 09-22-21, 07:38 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
I have clean canteen bottles. I use metal lids on them no drink spout. I use them to refill my Camelbak. I only use the little water bottle to mix drinks and only water in everything else. hot or boiling water and soap for cleaning.
Old 09-22-21, 08:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Have a Bosch dishwasher and it cleans even the tall bottles really well.

1. Unscrew lid and place on upper tray
2. Place bottle with glassware
3. Push button

Old 09-22-21, 09:38 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Hot soapy water and bottle brush for the bottles, and toothbrush for the caps.
Old 09-23-21, 04:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,793 Times in 1,796 Posts
Baby bottle brush for quick cleaning. I'll fill 'em with hot water and a little Dawn or other dish soap, shake 'em up, squirt the soapy water through the lid several times, then rinse.

As noted above, Camelbak lids with one-way valves can be disassembled for thorough cleaning. Reminds me, mine are overdue for disassembly and cleaning. After awhile they'll develop mold, despite the plastic being designed to resist buildup of bacteria, mold, etc.
Old 09-23-21, 04:38 AM
C.corri

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I put a table spoon of rice, tiny drip of soap and a little water into bottle. Shake bottle to scrub the inside clean. Dump rice in trash, and rince out bottle to remove soap. I do this if a bottle grows mold, or about once a month even if it looks clean.
Old 09-23-21, 04:49 AM
TX_master

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
In addition to soap, water and a brush others have mentioned I boil the caps of my bottles once every few weeks.
Old 09-23-21, 05:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 4,617 Times in 2,853 Posts
I use those baby bottle sterilising tablets (Milton). Not every wash, but once I start seeing signs of mould growing.
Old 09-23-21, 06:44 AM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Bottles and lids go in the dishwasher. As for hydration bladders, hot soapy water, multiple rinses and we store them empty in the freezer.

Off topic but related: If you have a chest freezer with enough space and return from a camping trip with wet gear and no time or space to immediately dry it out, freeze it until you can properly deal with it.
Old 09-23-21, 07:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
I rinse mine out soon after I get home. Also use a bottle brush on them. My bottles are just 25 fl oz Monster Energy drink bottles that I bought at a convenience store and emptied the contents which I don't care for. Every blue moon or two I might add a little chlorine bleach or Oxyclean if I ever spot any thing that looks like life inside.

On Camelback bottles, same thing. However they more often need to have the nipple pulled off and taken apart. Mold or mildew seems to like getting up in there and growing. Bleach and a small brush get it cleaned out then after drying, reassembled.
Old 09-23-21, 07:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
TBH, this is why I only put water in water bottles. Yes, they can be cleaned, but it's a PITA. Any sugar water is a perfect growth medium for all sorts of things. If your soda from a fountain has an off-taste, do not drink it! They're probably not cleaning the system properly, and I've seen the crap that can grow in those nozzles.
Old 09-23-21, 07:49 AM
atnyc

Fantastic!

Thank you all for sharing of all your good ideas.
Old 09-23-21, 08:09 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Dumb question, is the black stuff that grows in the spout actually bad for you? What is it technically (and don't just say mold), because I eat bleu cheese with mold in it and I'm still standing. How many others don't care a lot about a little crud in their bidon?
Old 09-23-21, 08:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Dumb question, is the black stuff that grows in the spout actually bad for you? What is it technically (and don't just say mold), because I eat bleu cheese with mold in it and I'm still standing. How many others don't care a lot about a little crud in their bidon?
As always, you do you.

There's a huge range and variety of mold - some can be bad for you, while others aren't. The stuff growing in your bottles hasn't exactly been hand-picked, so who knows what's growing in there. While I'm not terribly concerned about the health ramifications, I just think that black **** growing on my nozzles is gross and cleaner bottles taste better.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-23-21, 08:40 AM
atnyc

I'm pretty sure the mold in bleu cheese came about because many ate their cheese with mold in it and one mold taste better than others. How many died from eating the wrong kind of mold? Hard to say. But who knows, perhaps we're survivors from Darwinism and can eat many molds with impunity! On the other hand, it only take one bad one to rake havoc in one body...
Likes For atnyc:
Old 09-23-21, 08:50 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
TBH, this is why I only put water in water bottles. Yes, they can be cleaned, but it's a PITA. Any sugar water is a perfect growth medium for all sorts of things. If your soda from a fountain has an off-taste, do not drink it! They're probably not cleaning the system properly, and I've seen the crap that can grow in those nozzles.
Same here. I might occasionally put something like a Skratch additive in my bottle, then wash it thoroughly right after the ride. But I'll tell you this: my Camelback hydration bladders get only water. This has been my policy ever since I screwed up a couple years ago and put in some Gatorade... then forgot to clean it out after the ride... then a few days later filled it with water and went out again. I drank from it and got sick, then noticed there was black mold growing in the tube. Really stupid move, but I think I learned my lesson.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-23-21, 09:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Sports drink with sugar is the primary problem. That's what gives bacteria/mold something to eat. Dishwasher only does so much, especially if you have bottle caps that are the variety that are leakproof while open and liquid only travels thru the nozzle when forced by squeezing. That obviously means that wash water will likely not get inside even in the dishwasher.

Basically I just empty when done with a ride. Hot sudsy dawn + water in the bottle and then squirt thru the cap to flush out anything in there remaining. Yes, being able to dismantle the nozzles for cleaning helps from time to time, but probably only do this once in every 10 rides' worth of usage.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-23-21, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Bleu cheese mold is a very specific penicillium mold with very specific properties. If you're drinking through a bunch of slime, who the hell knows what molds and bacteria are in there? Keep in mind there's a bunch of random contaminants getting kicked up from the road or trail landing on that nozzle. Feel free to run your little experiment and consume "black stuff", what could go wrong?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-23-21, 11:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by atnyc
I'm pretty sure the mold in bleu cheese came about because many ate their cheese with mold in it and one mold taste better than others. How many died from eating the wrong kind of mold? Hard to say. But who knows, perhaps we're survivors from Darwinism and can eat many molds with impunity! On the other hand, it only take one bad one to rake havoc in one body...
If there's enough stuff growing there to actually see the slime, I'd bet there's a whole little ecosystem operating there with lots of different types of organisms. Coliform bacteria would not be a bad bet. Blecccch!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.