Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1972 Fuji Finest

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1972 Fuji Finest

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 08:28 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
1972 Fuji Finest

This may be construed as entirely gratuitous, posting a separate thread on my own newly acquired ’72 Fuji Finest, but I felt it was appropriate in recognition of its long service and noble character.

This bike was certainly well used, but remarkably well-maintained and cared for by it’s two previous owners: The first, who bought it new in 1972, and the second, who purchased it for $400 in 1983, and sold it to me only because he could no longer ride it.

As-purchased, the rear stays, forks and head tube had 3M yellow-and-red reflective tape stuck all over them. Removing all that hardened reflective tape was a real PITA, but this was the only real challenging aspect of rebuilding the bike: It was otherwise relatively clean, and both the BB and hubs did not actually need servicing! (This is the ONLY bike I have ever purchased where I could make that statement, though of course, I serviced all the bearings again anyway.)

I swapped the tires for gum walls strictly for aesthetics, and replaced the cables/housings, chain, etc. The only thing now lacking is the frame decals. - I don’t know why they were removed, but (at the risk of incurring some BF purest wrath) I decided to forgo new ones given the expense, and the fact that period correct, horizontal-scripted replacements are not available anyway. Instead, I’ve ordered a white bottle cage for the down tube for some visual interest – but I’m still waiting for my ship to come in from Niagara, and thus it is absent from the photos’ following.

The frame geometry is unusual. At 63 cm, the bike is a tad too TALL for me, but I found on my initial test ride that the 54 cm TT was too SHORT. (I am certain that it was designed in Japan decades ago using a Barbie doll as an ergonomic model). Fortunately, I had a spare stem on hand to stretch that TT another 40mm or so, and the result is a very comfortable fit.

At speed, it feels very stable, and yet the ride is very supple – I can only compare it to my Raleigh SC’s for road manners (- a high compliment indeed). The changers are Fuji-branded Suntour Vx (my favorites) and the frame is fully chromed, double-butted chromoly. Originally, the bike would have had tubulars, but the PO had Weinmann concave clincher rims laced to the original Sunshine hubs long ago. It also has Weinmann centerpulls, which IMO, are superior to the ubiquitous DiaCompes.

-Lastly, I substituted some wide Randonneur bars for the original narrow drops. The net effect of all of this is the sense that one is riding on top of a big white Cadillac.

Old 07-10-10, 09:28 AM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very nice!!! Well worth it's own thread

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-10-10, 09:37 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by beech333
This just about broke my heart when I first heard about it. A blue model had been very high on my wish list, but I need a longer TT.

Very nice looking bike, BTW. Is the Fuji Vx RD original to the bike?
Don't lose hope beech333 - You might be surprised at the difference a few cm's can make, so if the bike has a shorter stem, there is opportunity. ( The saddle rails may provide a little extra adjustment as well.)

As far as I know the rear DR is original, or at least period correct for a high end bike.
Old 07-10-10, 09:39 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Chris W.
Very nice!!! Well worth it's own thread

Cheers,
Chris
Thank you Chris W !
Old 07-10-10, 09:39 AM
king*stink

Bikes: 1973 concord fixie conversion, 2001 canondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice finest. Very weird that the top tube is that short. But my cousin is 62 and has extremely long legs but a very shoer torso. So i'm sure it will fit some.
Old 07-10-10, 09:51 AM
robatsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I think the Suntour Vx came along a little later. IIRC, my 1972 Fuji Finest had a Suntour V.

The early ones had no top tube decal, so you may only be missing the downtube decal, no big deal.

Very cool bikes all around, but you have to be willing to go with that top tube issue - this was before they started doing proportional sizing, so it isn't really just a Fuji Finest issue or anything.

That one is a very nice example, paint looks terrific. On mine, the white paint was getting a little bit chalky w/age, don't know if that is a common problem.
Old 07-10-10, 10:02 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Very nice, classic touring bike!
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 07-10-10, 10:06 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Auchencrow, check with JR on the Finest decals, he did a full set for my 72/73 a few years ago ..

Great job btw!

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 07-10-10, 10:09 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by king*stink
nice finest. Very weird that the top tube is that short. But my cousin is 62 and has extremely long legs but a very shoer torso. So i'm sure it will fit some.
Hi King -
It has the shortest TT in my stable. By contrast, my Peugeot U-08 has very different proportions, and has one of the longest at 60cm. - With the little tweaks though, both are very comfortable rides.