Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fit for body problems?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fit for body problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 09:58 AM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Fit for body problems?

So a few years ago I got frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) which is a totally crappy thing to get. I'm three yers in and I'm back to about 90% range of motion but it's just started a cavalcade of problems wit my bike. I switched to a cannondale slate for the fat tires and front suspension, but still have lots of pain issues with my wrists, elbows, shoulders. Which are probably because my position is a little skewed now with my stupid shoulder. Does anyone know of a bike shop with in a few hours drive of Chicago that would be good at fitting for me now that I don't bend right, and may never bend right again? I don't want to end up on one of those sit up straight city cruisers but I also want to stay on a bike.
Old 12-24-19, 11:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Physical therapists do bike fittings too. In your case that might be a better option. (Plus your insurance will probably cover it.)
Old 12-24-19, 03:43 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Physical therapists do bike fittings too. In your case that might be a better option. (Plus your insurance will probably cover it.)
that would be great if insurance covered it
Old 12-24-19, 06:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, not only shoulder but neck and back. My neck and back were broken in a 2001 car wreck (my compact car was t-boned at highway speed by a full size SUV that ran a light). And I was hit by a car last year while I was riding my bike. Grade 4 shoulder separation, broken bone, re-injured the old neck injury. Permanent C1 and C2 damage.

But I wanted to get back on a road bike after taking a couple of years on hybrids to get back into shape.

I did my own bike fits, based on tutorials from bike fit experts. The only thing lacking was the sensors and software to measure imbalances in weight distribution, etc. But I just kept tweaking stuff until it felt right and I was getting acceptable performance results on rides.

What works for me now on both my 1980s steel road bike and later carbon fiber bike were shorter stems and moderate bar drop below saddle height. I use 90mm stems on both bike -- quill on the steel bike, FSA Omega threadless on the carbon bike.

Technically the stems are too short for me. With both the 57cm steel frame and 56cm carbon frame bike (diamond frame geometry, not compact frame), I can see the front hub when I'm in the drops, elbows slightly bent, the usual sorta-aero position that I can hold comfortably for 5 minutes or so at a time.

But I tried the original 120mm stems and was too uncomfortable. Too much neck and shoulder strain. However since then I've made some progress with physical therapy so I might try a 100 or 110 mm stem on one bike just to see how it feels now. I'd like to get just a little more aero comfortably, and the bike handling might improve a bit. The shorter stems do occasionally make handling feel twitchy, especially on fast curves on rippled pavement.

Changing the reach also affected saddle comfort, knee issues, etc., so I had to tweak those as well. I'd just make minor adjustments to saddle height, angle, fore/aft positioning, etc., ride for 20-40 miles, re-evaluate, etc.

I still need the post-ride PT routine -- rollers, massage, stretching, etc. But it's much better than before.

And I hit my target goal for a modest increase in average speed for my usual 20-40 mile workout routes on hilly roller coaster terrain. I'd plateaued at 16 mph for a year after the latest injury. But by September I was occasionally hitting 17 mph. And since November, regularly averaging 17 mph on the usual routes. Still not fast, but for a busted up 62 year old body, I ain't complaining. I doubt I'm any stronger. That modest increase is mostly due to physical therapy, bike fit and being able to stay more aero longer.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-24-19, 08:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
that would be great if insurance covered it
Assuming you have medical, see your doctor, say you're in pain on the bike because of this, and they'll give you a referral. At least that's how it went for me. I think a lot of PTs know less about the bike than the best fitters, but a lot more about the body. And when you make the appointment you can ask for the therapist with the most bike experience.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-25-19, 11:42 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Assuming you have medical, see your doctor, say you're in pain on the bike because of this, and they'll give you a referral. At least that's how it went for me. I think a lot of PTs know less about the bike than the best fitters, but a lot more about the body. And when you make the appointment you can ask for the therapist with the most bike experience.
That's good to know. Never would have thought of that.

I have chronic neck issues. Once I got a fit right and after moving it to another bike as well, I eventually just got frames made that matched the fit.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 12-25-19, 04:06 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Andy at Get A Grip in Chicago helped me with a knee problem for $50, basically 45 minutes or an hour. He also does full fits for more. I might also give Ron Boi a call at RRB Cycles in Kenilworth.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 12-26-19, 08:55 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
cav·al·cade
/ˌkavəlˈkād/
noun
  1. a formal procession of people walking, on horseback, or riding in vehicles.