Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hookless rims...tires?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hookless rims...tires?

Old 04-04-20, 03:33 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Hookless rims...tires?

This is my second bike recently that came with hookless rims. When I bought it I checked the seatpost for movement and the steerer tube. I happily noted the aluminum wheels and hubs. I haven't seen too many hookless rims. My last one on a vintage Puch I pumped to 90 lbs awaked the neighborhood with the resulting explosion as the tire blew off the rim.
My question to my fellow Vintage bike aficionados is can I buy tires for the rim that came with this $30 '71 Schwinn SS. The tires that came with it were barely used but throughly dried out. They were very difficult to remove as they were, understandably, a very tight fit. The rims are Weinmanns and have a lovely wide flange hub.
Old 04-04-20, 03:39 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
My question to my fellow Vintage bike aficionados is can I buy tires for the rim that came with this $30 '71 Schwinn SS. The tires that came with it were barely used but throughly dried out. They were very difficult to remove as they were, understandably, a very tight fit. The rims are Weinmanns and have a lovely wide flange hub.
Good question, I would like to know as well. Keep in mind that some rims that are "hookless" actually have tapered sidewalls to wedge the bead in place when the tire is inflated.

Can you post a photo of the rim to help identify it?
Old 04-04-20, 03:59 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by branko_76
Good question, I would like to know as well. Keep in mind that some rims that are "hookless" actually have tapered sidewalls to wedge the bead in place when the tire is inflated.

Can you post a photo of the rim to help identify it?
I think some Kenda K35s with a steel bead and a max 90 lbs inflation pressure should work.

Old 04-04-20, 04:07 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Continental Ultrasports are a great deal. I run them on my hookless rimmed Super Course. Ride much better than any Kenda I've ever had. I pump them to 70 psi max.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 04-04-20, 04:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Not a big deal. There are a lot of threads on this. The bottom line is get a 27 inch tire with a steel bead and don't run it much above say 75 PSI. Panaracers tend to be the go to tire since they sort of look like an old school gumwall tire. Plus they're really good tires.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-04-20, 04:20 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Back in the day, I ran Michelin Elan tires, 27-1, on my UO8 at 100 to 110psi. Never had a problem. Put modern tires on the same bike and rims, had a blow out 1/2 block later.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 04-04-20, 04:22 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Right or wrong, when I come upon a bike with non-hooked rims they go out to the alley for the scrappers.
Old 04-04-20, 04:26 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
Right or wrong, when I come upon a bike with non-hooked rims they go out to the alley for the scrappers.
Wow, send me those good looking old school high flange hubs. I'll happily pay the shipping,
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-04-20, 04:31 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
I will second BFisher's recommendation of Continental wire-bead tires, because I have found them to be among the tightest-fitting.

Unfortunately, the bigger variable here is with the Weinmann rims, which are some of the worst offenders as far as quality-control of the bead-seating diameter.

So you will have to test your own rims by inflating tires on them and paying attention to any creeping lift-off of the tire beads that is occurring during ever-higher inflation pressure.

Due to the complex internal profile of these rims (the curvature and the protruding spoke nipples), it is not so easy to simply build up the bead-seating diameter with tape.
It can be done, but I wonder if it might be better, on rims that have a problem, to apply a hardening liquid to the edges of the floor of the rim cavity in order to build it up.
Something like an epoxy resin, perhaps with a 1/8" narrow strip of Velox tape bonded in along each inside edge of the rim's floor(?).

Out of four of these 1971 Supersport rims, only one causes a real problem for me at the modest 80psi that I like to run in my ~26mm tires.
But again these rims need to be tested one at a time to see where their bead seating diameter stacks up against varying pressure with any particular tire. Yours may be fine!
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-04-20, 04:44 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

As for other brands of hookless clinchers, many thousands of such rims came on Fujis and the like fitted from the factory with 100psi skin-side tires that easily took that pressure and more!
It was only when rims were carelessly sized for their diameter that a quality wire-bead clincher could blow off. Mostly a quality-control problem from what I have seen.

I have no qualms with these old, cheap, single-walled clincher rims with Schraeder valve holes as long as 1): the rim diameter is consistently correct and 2): the welded rim joint is smooth and consistent enough to prevent thumping under braking.
Unfortunately, neither can quite be taken for granted on certain models of rims, particularly OEM-spec rims where cost cutting was done to meet price constraints and thus attract large orders.
Old 04-04-20, 05:08 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

I think some Kenda K35s with a steel bead and a max 90 lbs inflation pressure should work.

Those Weinmanns are straight walled, not tapered.
Old 04-04-20, 08:18 PM
Cycle Tourist

Those Weinmanns are straight walled, not tapered.
Yup. I know. I'm no fan of Kenda tires but they run well at lower pressure. I like Contis but they blew off my first encounter at 90 lbs before I got on the bike so we'll see how the cheapies do. Here's a picture of my new project and yes I know it's a rather ugly bike I'd probably never normally buy but I'm bored.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 04-06-20, 10:18 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
About a year ago, I came across a barn find Legnano Gran Premio from about 1961. It came to me with identical appearing Araya 700c clincher rims, but the rear is hookless. I've been running a set of used wire beaded Continental Gatorskin 25s at around 100 psi on both rims for over a year with no problems. As far as I know this is my first bike with a hookless rim, and I don't see or notice any difference, over normal rims.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 04-06-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 10:42 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
About a year ago, I came across a barn find Legnano Gran Premio from about 1961. It came to me with identical appearing Araya 700c clincher rims, but the rear is hookless. I've been running a set of used wire beaded Continental Gatorskin 25s at around 100 psi on both rims for over a year with no problems. As far as I know this is my first bike with a hookless rim, and I don't see or notice any difference, over normal rims.
As I mentioned earlier, this is a quality-control issue so it's different from one rim to another.

I tried a lot of tires and discovered that these old Weinmanns seemed to have more variation to them than all of the tires I tested did.

I ended up using very wide Velox tape, custom-trimmed so as to reach the edges with the tube pressing on it. That got me the extra 10-15psi I was after. This was trickier than it sounds.

If the spokes are highly tensioned, that will further reduce the bead-seating diameter.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-06-20, 12:23 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by dddd
If the spokes are highly tensioned, that will further reduce the bead-seating diameter.
Can you elaborate on that?
Old 04-06-20, 08:02 PM
Cycle Tourist

Very interesting stuff. Way back in ancient times they made tires for hookless rims. My first real touring bike wore some Specialized 1 3/8 tires that were so hard to get on I had to double check to make sure they weren't 700 tires. I needed 4 tire levers to get em off. I like the suggestion of building up the rim strips. I never thought of that. As for heavily tensioned wheels being a little smaller, that I never even considered.
Old 04-07-20, 06:32 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Can you elaborate on that?
Hookes law
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 04-07-20, 11:43 AM
branko_76 

After a cup of coffee, I think I get it now. The diameter of the rim gets smaller as the tension in the spokes increase, resultng in less grip for the wire bead.
Old 04-07-20, 07:45 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
As for other brands of hookless clinchers, many thousands of such rims came on Fujis and the like fitted from the factory with 100psi skin-side tires that easily took that pressure and more!

It was only when rims were carelessly sized for their diameter that a quality wire-bead clincher could blow off. Mostly a quality-control problem from what I have seen.

I have no qualms with these old, cheap, single-walled clincher rims with Schraeder valve holes as long as 1): the rim diameter is consistently correct and 2): the welded rim joint is smooth and consistent enough to prevent thumping under braking.

Unfortunately, neither can quite be taken for granted on certain models of rims, particularly OEM-spec rims where cost cutting was done to meet price constraints and thus attract large orders.

Agreed 100%

I ran my '75 Fuji with its original unhooked rims for thousands of miles with mid-70s-era Schwinn Super Record 1-1/8 wire-beaded tires at 105psi before I personally hand-built another set of wheels for it. I can't remember the rim brand that I used in early '76 (sourced from Bike Warehouse - now Nashbar), but they were narrower than the original rims, yet still 27" clinchers that I used with those same SSR tires... That custom wheelset gave me great service for well over 25k miles! In later years, that old Fuji had a cheap wheelset that had a problem holding '90s-era Vittoria 1-1/4" tires at 80-90psi... Not sure if the blame lies with tires or rims... Those wheels were replaced with a set of take-offs from one of my project bikes, but those wheels are hooked-rims, and again I can run 27x1-1/8 wire-bead tires at 100+psi.
Old 04-12-20, 07:22 PM
Cycle Tourist

I put the cheap Kendra tires on. They were very tight and hard to get on, (A good thing), and held the 90 psi just fine. They did not have "for hooked rims only" marking on them. Just FYI.
Old 04-16-20, 08:24 AM
branko_76 

I just bought a new pair of Continental UltraSports for my hookless Weinmann alloy rims. These have short sidewalls so I was a little nervous when I got to 100 psi. I'm going to let them sit for a couple of days with that pressure before taking it for a ride.
Old 04-19-20, 11:07 PM
Cycle Tourist

I just bought a new pair of Continental UltraSports for my hookless Weinmann alloy rims. These have short sidewalls so I was a little nervous when I got to 100 psi. I'm going to let them sit for a couple of days with that pressure before taking it for a ride.
Wow. 100 psi. The Kendas max out at 90. I put about 75 and they seemed fine. The girl that bought the bike looked to be 90lbs. 🙄 Heck, that's about twice the weight of the bike.😂
Old 04-19-20, 11:22 PM
branko_76 

Wow. 100 psi. The Kendas max out at 90. I put about 75 and they seemed fine. The girl that bought the bike looked to be 90lbs. 🙄 Heck, that's about twice the weight of the bike.😂
The Continentals I have are rated to 116 psi
Old 04-19-20, 11:45 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
^^This. Life is too short to deal with crap that was marginal back in it's day, let alone now.
Old 04-20-20, 04:24 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve fitted tubulars to 630 mm hookless w/o issue. No problem running high pressure then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.