Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Police Auctions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 07:13 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Police Auctions

Has anyone ever had any good finds at police auctions? I have only been to a couple, mostly mangled big box store bikes. I expect the good bikes get claimed by the owners who are more serious about looking for them..
There is an upcoming online auction in our area, I can't believe how many lots with bolt cutters and wrecking bars there are! Isn't this just encouraging trouble?
Old 09-16-20, 07:35 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
I used to attend local police auctions and bought several bikes there over the years. There was a problem though that you were unable to measure the frame size so I sometimes got bikes that were too big and one time bought a bike with a bent frame. It wasn't something I was looking for and couldn't see it from the distance we were allowed to look at things. These were done in person and not online. The junky bikes with a familiar name (Schwinn) and mass merchandiser bikes often sold for near the new price as people bid up the price in competition while the bikes most people did not know went for reasonable prices. I was often the only person bidding on them. That's all changed since auctions went online. Now you have a lot more people looking at the bike but you still have the same problem about fit.
Old 09-16-20, 07:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I used to have an "in" for the local police auction for our county YEARS ago. They actually did theirs in concert with a tow yard that would do a combo type auction. I never saw any manner of bicycles, I am not sure what they did with those. Loads of cars, trucks, moto, even boats and a plane once.
A buddy of mine bought an RX7 (1st gen) from one. Beautiful little car. He had another with a ground effects kit on it but in worse shape. As he tears the bumper off the "new" auction car he discovered several pounds of old dried up marijuana. Called the police back, the car was disassembled in keys areas while supervised and quite a bit of pot was found in it. How it wasn't before we don't know. Turned out to be a really good car though...
Old 09-16-20, 07:42 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
the cops pick over the good stuff (cars motos bikes) before they go to auction
Old 09-16-20, 08:52 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Rideable bikes will generally keep being ridden. Bikes that wind up at the police auction have often been abused or pulled out of a river or otherwise ruined, as well as mostly being box-store bikes to begin with. Decent bikes in any sort of rideable or repairable condition are rare.
Old 09-16-20, 08:59 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When I worked as a dispatcher, it was amazing the number of abandoned bicycle calls we took. We had auctions once or twice a year, and there was always a ton of bikes, most of them picked up as abandoned, but they were the usual Walmart fare, Roadmaster, Schwinn, Mongoose, Next, etc. I doubt they ever recovered many high-end bikes, since if they were reported stolen it's more likely the owners would have the serial number and would come in to claim them if recovered. Few people cared to come in to claim a $100 Walmart bike, or even write down the serial number after buying it.
Old 09-16-20, 09:02 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I got my Miyata 1000 at a police auction for $50. They don't seem to do them here anymore, the city has their own online sales site and the starting prices are usually not that good.
Old 09-16-20, 09:10 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

As a funny aside to this.
When I was a kid the county did this drive where you 'registered' your bike with the police dept and a sticker was put on the frame such that if it were stolen (these type of crimes were high at the time) the lockup where this stuff went to could contact you. The issue being there was never enough man power available, I assume, to do this. I collected my bike from there once and there were LOADS of other bikes with that same sticker on them just sitting.
Old 09-16-20, 09:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
As a funny aside to this.
When I was a kid the county did this drive where you 'registered' your bike with the police dept and a sticker was put on the frame such that if it were stolen (these type of crimes were high at the time) the lockup where this stuff went to could contact you. The issue being there was never enough man power available, I assume, to do this. I collected my bike from there once and there were LOADS of other bikes with that same sticker on them just sitting.
The thing is that if you write down your serial number, and give that number to the police officer making the report after your bike is stolen, they will enter the serial number into NCIC and any agency across the country will be able to run the number and find that it was stolen. Provided, of course, the bike is recovered within a year because I think they get kicked out after that time.
Old 09-16-20, 10:08 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The junky bikes with a familiar name (Schwinn) and mass merchandiser bikes often sold for near the new price as people bid up the price in competition while the bikes most people did not know went for reasonable prices.
Orbea? Colnago? Bianchi? Never heard of 'em! PASS!!!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-16-20, 10:38 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Best I got was some golf clubs a Nike Driver and 3Wood for like $80
Old 09-16-20, 11:09 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The thing is that if you write down your serial number, and give that number to the police officer making the report after your bike is stolen, they will enter the serial number into NCIC and any agency across the country will be able to run the number and find that it was stolen. Provided, of course, the bike is recovered within a year because I think they get kicked out after that time.
Seems like a much larger amount of effort than they'd care to spend.
Old 09-16-20, 12:25 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Seems like a much larger amount of effort than they'd care to spend.
Not really, it's pretty easy. Anything that's stolen and has a serial number can be put into NCIC. It's a fairly quick & easy entry, I used to do it all the time. And checking serial numbers is even easier. Open the appropriate screen, type in the number, and send, then you get either a hit or a message saying no record found.
Old 09-16-20, 07:59 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The thing is that if you write down your serial number, and give that number to the police officer making the report after your bike is stolen, they will enter the serial number into NCIC and any agency across the country will be able to run the number and find that it was stolen...
That might work with some police departments. A few years ago I had a friend whose car was stolen in Washington, DC. He reported it stolen, but after a few weeks with no sign of the car, his insurance paid off and he bought a new car with the insurance money. Three months later, he received a bill from the police department for storage fees for his stolen car. Turns out that the car had been abandoned and illegally parked the same day it was stolen, and the police impounded the car. The police department traced the car back to him through the license tag to send him the bill. The car arrived in the police impounding lot just a few hours after it was stolen, but the police never notified him they had located his stolen car. They just billed him for storage after they kept it for three months. They also ticketed him for a parking violation. Maybe the police do a better job tracking down stolen bikes than they do for cars.
Old 09-17-20, 07:16 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Random11
That might work with some police departments. A few years ago I had a friend whose car was stolen in Washington, DC. He reported it stolen, but after a few weeks with no sign of the car, his insurance paid off and he bought a new car with the insurance money. Three months later, he received a bill from the police department for storage fees for his stolen car. Turns out that the car had been abandoned and illegally parked the same day it was stolen, and the police impounded the car. The police department traced the car back to him through the license tag to send him the bill. The car arrived in the police impounding lot just a few hours after it was stolen, but the police never notified him they had located his stolen car. They just billed him for storage after they kept it for three months. They also ticketed him for a parking violation. Maybe the police do a better job tracking down stolen bikes than they do for cars.
Well, that was a stupid mistake on the part of that police department, obviously. But how it's supposed to work is, you buy a bike, you write down the serial #, someone steals the bike, you file a stolen bicycle report and give the police the serial #, then someone enters the bike into NCIC with the serial #, some other officer finds the bike, runs the number, and it comes back with a "hit" showing that it was stolen. Bike gets recovered, owner gets notified, bike gets returned. But of course that's how things work in a perfect world, and this isn't a perfect world.
Old 09-17-20, 07:24 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Reminds me of how we used to get parking tickets from the city of Chicago for all kinds of weird infractions such as parking in a loading zone, parking by fire hydrants, parking in the Loop, etc, etc... No amount of explanation from us would satisfy them and they were ramping up the penalties we would have to pay and threatening to have our car impounded (all the way from the suburbs!) if we didn't pay. We continued to fight the issue and eventually a date was set for a hearing with a judge and I had to go downtown and plead my case, The presented me with a stack of tickets six inches high and upon one look it was obvious they had the license plate number right but it was for a car with that same number with MARYLAND plates. Any idiot could see they were harassing the wrong guy.

Case dismissed.
Old 09-17-20, 10:03 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I used to have an "in" for the local police auction for our county YEARS ago. They actually did theirs in concert with a tow yard that would do a combo type auction. I never saw any manner of bicycles, I am not sure what they did with those. Loads of cars, trucks, moto, even boats and a plane once.
A buddy of mine bought an RX7 (1st gen) from one. Beautiful little car. He had another with a ground effects kit on it but in worse shape. As he tears the bumper off the "new" auction car he discovered several pounds of old dried up marijuana. Called the police back, the car was disassembled in keys areas while supervised and quite a bit of pot was found in it. How it wasn't before we don't know. Turned out to be a really good car though...
“Hello, Officer, I’ve discovered that the automobile I bought from your auction contained 5 pounds, er... no, sorry, I mean FOUR pounds of marijuana!”
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 09-17-20, 11:20 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
“Hello, Officer, I’ve discovered that the automobile I bought from your auction contained 5 pounds, er... no, sorry, I mean FOUR pounds of marijuana!”
"You know what? On second thought, never mind!"
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-17-20, 12:09 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Unfortunately for everyone involved this was only illegal in reference to it's actually physically have BEEN marijuana at one point in it's existence. At this point you could have tried all of it and had a headache and perhaps mold issues.
Old 09-18-20, 05:25 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 408 Posts
I got a wonderful Schwinn Paramount, the older kind made by Waterford, and it came complete with its original Campy Record components. The minimum bid on single bikes was $60, and no one else bid. There were only a couple bidders, there were about 100 bikes, and they were usually sold in lots of 10 or more. As far as I know, they ended up being piled into shipping containers and sent to Asia to be scrapped or whatever.
Old 09-18-20, 07:47 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I got a Bianchi, Trek, Gary Fisher, Giant bicycles from the local sheriff sale. All where low level model MTB. All needed to be disassembled and rebuilt with new cables and some other parts. My kids had nice bikes.
Old 09-18-20, 08:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Some of the local colleges do bike auctions from all the bikes left by students at the end of the year. I thought about trying to get a few, fix them up, then sell them back to students the following fall.

But, it generally wasn't worth the time and effort to most likely lose money.

What I've found is that at auctions like that, people often end up over-paying for things because they get into the competition of the auction and think no matter what they pay, it's still a deal.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-18-20, 09:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by topflightpro
What I've found is that at auctions like that, people often end up over-paying for things because they get into the competition of the auction and think no matter what they pay, it's still a deal.
That's why ebay has ruined a lot of hobby markets.
Old 09-18-20, 10:24 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Some of the local colleges do bike auctions from all the bikes left by students at the end of the year.
College bikes are the worst. Exclusively outdoor stored, zero maintenance, none high end.