Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 08:09 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts

I picked up a new bike last week. I love my 1974 Le Tour so much I wanted to see how I'd like a Super. If I've translated the serial number ok it's a 1981 Super Le Tour. The number on the rear drop is 1G03138. I'm also guessing it is made in Japan? Paint is a bit rough and has a lot of touch up paint, but seems to ride real nice and has very new 27 x 1 3/8" tires. I believe it's mostly or maybe all original. I like that it's the color pictured in the catalog for that year. I'm pretty sure the bars are angled rather weird, so I'm gonna try to make them look more like the catalog. It has everything I thought would make my Le Tour a bit better: alloy rims, downtube shifters, about 4lbs lighter at 26.6 lbs. I think the Altus LT derailleurs are also probably an upgrade. Haven't had a chance to ride it enough yet with lots of weird weather. Have a WTB Volt I'm going to put on it and SPD pedals. I may also switch the brake levers to some aero levers, but will wait a bit. I've found I like riding in the drops more on these older bikes. I don't really like the look of the foam grips, but they are kinda comfy so want to give those some time too. The catalog bike has different brake levers and states they have hoods. Would the brakes on this bike have ever had hoods?

Last edited by BikingViking793; 06-30-21 at 08:12 PM.
Likes For BikingViking793:
Old 06-30-21, 08:41 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
The 1981 Catalog says that hoods were standard. Some Dia Compe modern hoods will work, not perfect, but ok.
Old 07-01-21, 06:33 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Nice find. Those foam grips were really popular back then. Probably more than half the bikes at the shop that I worked in had customers that paid extra to have them installed.

This bike was probably built by Giant in Taiwan based on the G in the serial number.

Is that a Kenda K35 tire on the front? They have the period correct style. It may not match the ride of the original Schwinn HP tires and other high pressure tires. I have used them though and while I think there are better tires out there they are ok.

Let us know how you like your new bike. LeTours are good bikes. I have a LeTour Lux that I like a whole lot.
Old 07-01-21, 06:37 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the serial format, the subject bicycle was manufactured on Japan by Matsu****a/National Bicycle Co., who were a known Schwinn contractor and are best known for their Panasonic brand.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-01-21, 06:41 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Good looking machine. White- red combo is an attention getter. These machines can be upgraded to the extremes!
Old 07-01-21, 07:02 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Based on the serial format, the subject bicycle was manufactured on Japan by Matsu****a/National Bicycle Co., who were a known Schwinn contractor and are best known for their Panasonic brand.
Thanks for correcting me on the maker of the bike T-Mar . I knew Panasonic was making the LeTour at the time, but that G in the serial number tempted me away from what I know.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 07-01-21, 07:16 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Originally Posted by T-Mar
thanks for the confirmation. I know these were briefly made in the USA around this time, but I figured the serial number made it Japan.
Old 07-01-21, 07:22 AM
BikingViking793 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice find. Those foam grips were really popular back then. Probably more than half the bikes at the shop that I worked in had customers that paid extra to have them installed.

This bike was probably built by Giant in Taiwan based on the G in the serial number.

Is that a Kenda K35 tire on the front? They have the period correct style. It may not match the ride of the original Schwinn HP tires and other high pressure tires. I have used them though and while I think there are better tires out there they are ok.

Let us know how you like your new bike. LeTours are good bikes. I have a LeTour Lux that I like a whole lot.
could the grips be original? They are worn, but seem ok enough. No idea how long they last. Any consensus on them now? Kinda want to change them, but they are kinda vintage cool.
Old 07-01-21, 07:40 AM
Velo Mule

I just looked in the 1981 Schwinn catalog. Your are right. It looks like the foam grips are original. They are more comfortable on the hands, than cotton tape which is why they became popular in the first place. Grab On Grips are still available. This is the brand that was most popular back in the '80's.

Grab On Grips at Porkchop BMX

You could also try a more modern tape. Or traditional cotton.