Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Nuevo Mexico or Special ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 05:03 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Colnago Nuevo Mexico or Special?

Today the gf found this beautiful Colnago for $750 and jumped on it. The owner was clearly a bit confused as to what he had as he told us the group set was a mix of Shimano, Nitto and Campy which was not the case...... all Campy.
After an afternoon of research she can’t determine if it’s a Nuevo Mexico or a Special.
it has two crimps on the down tube, two on top tube, crimps in chain stays.

Opinions ?

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 08-04-20 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 01:55 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
This seems like a first-generation Nuovo Mexico to me, but it’s not one of the first pieces. I don't know what you mean by Special, could you give me an example?
Old 08-05-20, 02:21 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Looks like a Nitto stem to me. Brake pads appear to be Shimano. I see Campy, too. Seems the seller was spot-on

Probably 83/84 Nuovo Mexico. Later version, because it appears yours has the fork crown with short integrated tangs cast in place; the earlier forks incorporated long, separately-brazed fork tangs with a combination of triangular and round cutouts. The band decals look to be modern reproductions. The black plastic cable guide underneath the BB shell is not original and is not required - just run the inner cables through a couple short lengths of teflon tubing.

If that is the original paint, it's in very good condition. In fact, the only blemish that sticks out is the small loss of paint at the top of the downtube near the gear lever. Obviously caused at some point by the front brake caliper striking the frame.

Pretty nice frame at the center of that bike

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-05-20 at 02:24 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-05-20, 05:05 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Nearly a copy of my 83. Mine is the Superissimo so it has chrome head lugs but with socks on the forks. I would consider replacing the rear cable housing to avoid the housing rubbing the paint off the stay, lug and TT.

Concur with DD.
Old 08-05-20, 07:34 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Looks like a Nitto stem to me. Brake pads appear to be Shimano. I see Campy, too. Seems the seller was spot-on

Probably 83/84 Nuovo Mexico. Later version, because it appears yours has the fork crown with short integrated tangs cast in place; the earlier forks incorporated long, separately-brazed fork tangs with a combination of triangular and round cutouts. The band decals look to be modern reproductions. The black plastic cable guide underneath the BB shell is not original and is not required - just run the inner cables through a couple short lengths of teflon tubing.

If that is the original paint, it's in very good condition. In fact, the only blemish that sticks out is the small loss of paint at the top of the downtube near the gear lever. Obviously caused at some point by the front brake caliper striking the frame.

Pretty nice frame at the center of that bike

DD
Good eye ! Yes the decals are reproduced and the paint is original. I guess my reference to the groupset was not correct as I was just thinking shifters, derailing, crank, brakes.