Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you get annoyed at people doing intervals/sprints?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-24-20, 12:00 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

Got overtaken on my endurance ride yesterday by this cyclist just before my sprint was supposed to start, so obviously I do it and overtake him back, then slow down to my endurance pace again so that he overtakes me again a short time later, and he seemed really pissed off at me for that. He was old, but very strong.
Old 08-24-20, 01:43 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
What's wrong with doing intervals? It's a great training method. I don't see what you're annoyed about -- especially since you changed your speed to a sprint also.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-24-20, 02:49 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
What's wrong with doing intervals? It's a great training method. I don't see what you're annoyed about -- especially since you changed your speed to a sprint also.
He was annoyed at me for sprinting. Like he looked at me, muttered something and shook his head. Clearly very annoyed.
Old 08-24-20, 03:11 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
He was annoyed at me for sprinting. Like he looked at me, muttered something and shook his head. Clearly very annoyed.
Probably thought you were trying to "assert dominance". It's whatever, you do you.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 08-24-20, 05:36 AM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Look at it from his perspective.
He's riding faster than you, after he passes you, you sprint ahead of him only to slow down again forcing him to pass you again. He couldn't know that you were planning a sprint,
If I were the other cyclist, I would assume you were posing me with a challenge and I would (probably) try and keep up, but I wouldn't be annoyed, just puzzled as to what you were doing.
If I were you, I would have waited until my sprint wouldn't bring me past a faster rider.
Likes For fujidon:
Old 08-24-20, 05:45 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Ignore him, HIIT training is a mainstay of any good training programme. I am a natural sprinter and fastest in my region and I stay that way due to hard interval training - I pretty much know all the seriously competitive cyclists who race and they know me so no issues with what to expect. Sometimes I'll do sprints at specific parts of my route as I go, usually going for PR's/KOM's as a means of extra motivation for the training which I find really helps since I can be lazy, sometimes I'll do the same hill repeatedly - that's more obvious that I'm doing intervals, of course.

We all ride as we want for the goals we set ourselves, be that just riding for exercise, to take in the scenery or to train for racing. It has nothing at all to do with others and they have to accept that we share the roads so if they get all upset because they assume you are competing against them, tough, that's their own insecurity issue that they have to deal with.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 08-24-20, 06:00 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
It sounds like you are playing competitive tourist games.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 08-24-20, 06:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Sprint workouts mean long periods of low intensity between the efforts. Meaning, it is almost irrelevant how long to wait so long as you recovered enough. Meaning, you could have waited just 30 seconds more and went again with him well clear. Sprints are short enough also you wouldn’t have caught him unless you decided wrongly when to go.

Your fault bud.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-24-20, 06:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Everyone's got equal right to the road. The OP was getting ready to do a sprint when the other rider invaded his plans. No fault by either.
Old 08-24-20, 06:43 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I probably would have waited a couple minutes for my sprint(unless I was doing hill intervals) just to avoid a sword measuring contest.

Last edited by noodle soup; 08-24-20 at 06:48 AM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-24-20, 07:08 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I would've turned around or turned off onto a different road.

I'm going with "lame".
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-24-20, 07:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Don't wanna play leapfrog with a stranger? Turn. Take any turn. In the last 12 miles of my yesterday, I got behind a dreadfully fit and youthful couple who were unintentionally goldiblocking, which is what I call one or more riders going too slowly for me to sit behind them, but fast enough that I don't feel like putting out the gas to pass them. So as soon as the opportunity presented itself, I made a left. Like 5 minutes later, there they were again. Another left. Ten minutes more, there they are again. So I had some extra little bits tacked on to my ride. But I never had to pass 'em.
Old 08-24-20, 07:40 AM
AlgarveCycling

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Sprint workouts mean long periods of low intensity between the efforts. Meaning, it is almost irrelevant how long to wait so long as you recovered enough. Meaning, you could have waited just 30 seconds more and went again with him well clear. Sprints are short enough also you wouldn’t have caught him unless you decided wrongly when to go.

Your fault bud.
From my perspective, I don't subscribe to that method all the time for some intervals - I do that when doing repeated full gas hill intervals, sprint, try not to puke, recover, sprint etc but when doing sprint intervals during a ride at specific points I do not slow down too much at all, in fact I try to keep a good pace.

In a race, when you attack or someone else attacks, you don't get the luxury of recovering comfortably after the harder sprint effort, instead you have to dig deep and keep a good pace going either to hang onto a wheel and to put in strong driving efforts yourself working with others or to make a solo break work. I therefore like to combine sprint intervals with a strong average pace. If I see someone ahead I'm not going to slow down or wait for my sprint if it happens to be on a segment I want to go for; I'm working on my average and wanting the segment. Tough ask, but valid training.

If someone I pass wants to use my wheel, fine, I'm ok with it, but I'll completely ignore them and carry on with my own ride. They are more than welcome to race away if they want as well, I'll do my training regardless and I won't sit on their wheel since that kinda defeats the object of my own training - I get twice weekly Group rides for that.

I wave and greet everyone, I won't join a Group uninvited, I won't sit on a wheel uninvited, I don't mind others using my wheel but I am not going to disrupt my training because it might make someone jump to the conclusion that I am challenging them. No way.
Old 08-24-20, 07:49 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
IMO, there are routes that simply aren't conducive to constant passing, increasing the danger for all concerned.

But, aside from that aspect (which all cyclists and motorists should be aware of), I've no problem either passing someone or being passed, even repeatedly, if our training methods differ on that route.
Old 08-24-20, 08:08 AM
rubiksoval

There's also the issue of sprinting past unsuspecting riders on a road. I don't know how quickly you're sprinting, but the last thing I want to do is go blazing by some unknown rider who may inadvertently swerve or turn or u-turn or some other silly behavior that puts themselves or me at risk.

Full-on sprints need a relatively-controlled environment.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-24-20, 08:17 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
From my perspective, I don't subscribe to that method all the time for some intervals - I do that when doing repeated full gas hill intervals, sprint, try not to puke, recover, sprint etc but when doing sprint intervals during a ride at specific points I do not slow down too much at all, in fact I try to keep a good pace.

In a race, when you attack or someone else attacks, you don't get the luxury of recovering comfortably after the harder sprint effort, instead you have to dig deep and keep a good pace going either to hang onto a wheel and to put in strong driving efforts yourself working with others or to make a solo break work. I therefore like to combine sprint intervals with a strong average pace. If I see someone ahead I'm not going to slow down or wait for my sprint if it happens to be on a segment I want to go for; I'm working on my average and wanting the segment. Tough ask, but valid training.
That's altogether different training, though. Actual sprint training is as he described. It's a max effort with a minimum of 7-8 minutes recovery. You typically want full recovery in between efforts.

What you're talking about isn't working on your sprinting so much as your aerobic fitness. The shorter the recovery, the more aerobic the work. Both have their place and are valid training, but they're training two different things.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-24-20, 08:37 AM
ZHVelo

Taking a turn is no option. A) I do the same ride every time, I want to see how I do comparatively and B) long parts of it literally have no real turn, it goes around a lake. And I won't turn off the lake and then have to find my way back, just so someone doesn't get annoyed. And it's no sword fighting contest, he was clearly a stronger rider than me.
Old 08-24-20, 08:38 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
This is why I do my structured training inside. No leapfrogging back and forth, no worry about someone running into my back end when my interval is over.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 08-24-20, 08:46 AM
AlgarveCycling

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
That's altogether different training, though. Actual sprint training is as he described. It's a max effort with a minimum of 7-8 minutes recovery. You typically want full recovery in between efforts.

What you're talking about isn't working on your sprinting so much as your aerobic fitness. The shorter the recovery, the more aerobic the work. Both have their place and are valid training, but they're training two different things.
I read it as it could be either type of training - both involves sprints albeit at different intensities. If he is doing full gas plus recovery, then yes, sure, he has more control over how and when he chooses to go for each sprint and he may want to do so when the road ahead is clear. Certainly, when I do that type of training I have a clear path and it is generally on repeated runs of the same segment but each to their own. The OP just came across to me as though he could have been doing the training I described that also involves sprints whereby if chance dictates another cyclist is on your route at a coincidental time, then the other cyclist needs to just get on with their own ride and not get worked up over someone else doing theirs.

Regardless, we share the same roads, we should all be able to get on with whatever type of riding or training we want without someone else taking offense or making false assumptions. We overtake all manner of things all the time on our rides, another cyclist, even repeatedly, during training is no big deal. Equally being passed ourselves - let them go, do their thing.
Old 08-24-20, 08:58 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
There's also the issue of sprinting past unsuspecting riders on a road. I don't know how quickly you're sprinting, but the last thing I want to do is go blazing by some unknown rider who may inadvertently swerve or turn or u-turn or some other silly behavior that puts themselves or me at risk.

Full-on sprints need a relatively-controlled environment.
True but I checked before and no car was behind and I was in the middle of the road, he was on the cycle lane. He would have had to swerve an awful lot.
Old 08-24-20, 09:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10245 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
I suspect he was making the mistake of thinking it was about him. You could ignore him, or as you passed him, or when he re-passed you, just say in an apologetic voice, "Intervals".

I play leapfrog with people all the time, largely because I'm large, and therefore fast on the downhills and slow on the uphills. But I really don't want to give up the momentum I gain on the downhills just because they'll pass me again later. I played leapfrog with one woman for 20 miles the other week - she and I were going the same average speed, but with me there's more 'fluctuation around the mean.' I hope she didn't think it was about her!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-24-20, 09:12 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it. Not my problem if someone else chooses to get worked up over something as absurd as this - that is his effing problem. People actively seem to be looking for crap to get worked up over these days - even if it is something that has zero effect on their lives. If my intervals bother someone even though I am not cutting them off or causing them to brake suddenly or whatever, they go get ducked.
Old 08-24-20, 10:54 AM
Rubyd

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
what's wrong with doing intervals? It's a great training method. I don't see what you're annoyed about -- especially since you changed your speed to a sprint also.
👍😉
Old 08-24-20, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
There are crotchety old guys that think it's their right to slam on brakes when you get too close to them. Many expect that everyone should behave just like them when they cycle because obviously they do it perfectly with every consideration.

Until you can sit around a table with beers in their hand and yours you'll never be able to get them to understand everyone else is not out for a nice ride or trying to show off their testosterone levels.
Old 08-24-20, 11:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yesterday morning I was just about to launch into an 8-minute interval when I got passed by a guy going pretty well. I figured that I might catch up to him on the interval but wouldn't be going hard enough for a quick pass. It was going to be awkward more than annoying. So I did a quick U-turn and rode in the other direction for a couple hundred meters before turning back around and starting my interval. That was all it took. No biggie.
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.