Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greets from the Jersey Shore

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 06-28-22, 07:28 AM
KF2M

Bikes: Schwinn AL Comp/Modded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Greets from the land of Bon Jovi, Springsteen, The Shore, Taylor Ham, and Snooki.
Old school biker from the days of banana seats, sissy bars, and fat rear tires (before BMX became a thing), and road biking. After 40 years just got back in the seat since the other half planted to seed of biking around the community (55+). I got her a Schwinn Sidewinder (which will never see a trail), and I got a AL Comp. Been getting back into riding shape, and testing the waters so to speak on the fire roads, and beginner trails in the local state forest to get back into the swing of things.

Being a tinkerer I just couldn't keep my mitts off my bike so I changed out a few things...Hycline Shimano 7 Speed Freewheel MF-TZ500-7,Bicycle Multiple Freewheel,Bike Sprocket,14-28 Teeth
BUCKLOS MTB 170mm Square Taper Crankset, 104 BCD
Snail Ultralight Aluminum Alloy 30T Cycling Chainring
Race Face pedals
KMC 7/8/9 spd chain
Shimano Hydraulic MT201 Front Brakes
Shimano Hydraulic MT201 Rear Brakes

Performed the following: Rear sprocket swap, crankset/pedal swap, removed the 3spd front derailleur/converted to single 30T sprocket, swapped out cable-fed brakes with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, cleaned and repacked all bearings (headset, BB, front/rear wheels), and removed the kickstand. Eventually swapping in new forks, BB, and a either a trans-x, or PWN dropper post. Also in the future a Shimano Alfine hub in the back, and losing the Microshift 26C.
Old 06-28-22, 10:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Welcome from Texas

Old 06-29-22, 06:47 PM
KF2M

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks 10 Wheels! Glad to be here.
Old 06-30-22, 07:55 PM
spinmeround
no bike now!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am an aspiring tinkerer as well, seems so intimidating changing the BB since they are always stuck and I am having a hard time yanking it out. Also, when working on foldies I get nervous swapping in new freehubs and 10-12 speed cassettes since you never know if they will fit/or if there are enough rd clearance for these small frames!
Old 07-01-22, 05:55 AM
KF2M

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinmeround
I am an aspiring tinkerer as well, seems so intimidating changing the BB since they are always stuck and I am having a hard time yanking it out. Also, when working on foldies I get nervous swapping in new freehubs and 10-12 speed cassettes since you never know if they will fit/or if there are enough rd clearance for these small frames!
Cool. Yes, since I last rode cycling has changed alot. Changing out the BB the hardest part is getting the old stuff out. Once you're past that it appears to be quite easy as long as you shim and torque as specified. Not being familiar working on folding bikes I would venture to guess that there are even more factors to take into consideration.
Old 07-03-22, 09:22 PM
KF2M

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toby_Queef
Yo! Joisey! Crank some Springsteen!
Springsteen (and Bon Jovi) are so played out. How about some Twisted Sister (they got their start at the Soap Factory in Palisades Park, though from Long Island)? Or Danzig, Overkill, Skidrow. or The Misfits?
Old 07-06-22, 06:04 AM
KF2M

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toby_Queef
Artie LAnge always talks about cruising "The Shore" and crankin' Springsteen
LOL... Try "cruising" Seaside Heights.. More like sitting in a line of traffic on Rt35 that goes for m i l e s...Being a local I avoid the place until after Labor Day.
Old 07-06-22, 09:17 AM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome

Originally Posted by KF2M
Greets from the land of Bon Jovi, Springsteen, The Shore, Taylor Ham, and Snooki.
Old school biker from the days of banana seats, sissy bars, and fat rear tires (before BMX became a thing), and road biking. After 40 years just got back in the seat since the other half planted to seed of biking around the community (55+). I got her a Schwinn Sidewinder (which will never see a trail), and I got a AL Comp. Been getting back into riding shape, and testing the waters so to speak on the fire roads, and beginner trails in the local state forest to get back into the swing of things.

Being a tinkerer I just couldn't keep my mitts off my bike so I changed out a few things...Hycline Shimano 7 Speed Freewheel MF-TZ500-7,Bicycle Multiple Freewheel,Bike Sprocket,14-28 Teeth
BUCKLOS MTB 170mm Square Taper Crankset, 104 BCD
Snail Ultralight Aluminum Alloy 30T Cycling Chainring
Race Face pedals
KMC 7/8/9 spd chain
Shimano Hydraulic MT201 Front Brakes
Shimano Hydraulic MT201 Rear Brakes

Performed the following: Rear sprocket swap, crankset/pedal swap, removed the 3spd front derailleur/converted to single 30T sprocket, swapped out cable-fed brakes with Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, cleaned and repacked all bearings (headset, BB, front/rear wheels), and removed the kickstand. Eventually swapping in new forks, BB, and a either a trans-x, or PWN dropper post. Also in the future a Shimano Alfine hub in the back, and losing the Microshift 26C.

Welcome I haven't been on here in quite a while but I always go thru Lakehurst when going down to REI in Marlton and I am always looking for anyone who wants to get together and ride I am in Brick right off the parkway.
Old 07-06-22, 12:46 PM
KF2M

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ezdoesit
Welcome I haven't been on here in quite a while but I always go thru Lakehurst when going down to REI in Marlton and I am always looking for anyone who wants to get together and ride I am in Brick right off the parkway.
Hi,
REI is my home away from home (I work in Mt Laurel), and I live over in Leisure Knoll by the Shop Rite Plaza on Rt70. Currently I've been riding over at the BBSF and so far rode part of the Mt Misery, and Glassworks loops (and dodging Hoverfly swarms).