Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-22, 07:01 PM
Paintking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Hello all,

I'm planning on attending Eroica California 2023, which will be my first eroica of any kind. I'm fortunate enough to have four pre-1987 light weight road bikes and I'm curious which bike you'd suggest I bring.

The four bikes date from 1985 to 1987, yes a tight grouping, but there are interesting differences between them. All my bikes are reclamation projects with mostly original bits or era correct replacement parts. Ultimately they all ride about the same and have similar gear. So I guess the question really is which one would be the most fun to bring. Which one would be more interesting to other people, a better conversation starter maybe?

The choices are:
1985 Pinarello Record
1985 Vitus (aluminum "glued and screwed")
1986 Faggin
1987 Romic (a fairly rare American made bike)

I'm happy to share photos and details if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Likes For Paintking:
Old 10-20-22, 08:08 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I'd vote for the Romic just because I'd like to see it, but really you might be happiest with the one that will take the widest tires. Also, depending on your age and level of fitness, you may appreciate the bike with the lowest gears.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-20-22, 08:09 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts
^^^What he said.
Old 10-20-22, 08:10 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
I'd recommend whichever one can fit 28's most effectively, which rules out the Vitus. After that, if all the other three steel frames are equal, the Romic will draw the most attention by those in the know, while the Pinarello will get the most looks by general riders. There are some steep hills with gravel, and Kiler can be rough depending on the year. Your priorities are [1] relatively wide tires, [2] low gears, and [3] solid brakes for coming down into Cambria. Not necessarily in that order -- of equal importance.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 10-20-22, 08:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
We’re not interested in photos of any bikes you would consider riding in EroicaCa
Old 10-22-22, 06:40 PM
Paintking

Thanks for the warm reception

Originally Posted by Classtime
We’re not interested in photos of any bikes you would consider riding in EroicaCa
Thanks for the warm reception and the good info. Now that you've let the camel's nose under the tent you may never get rid of me.

But then again maybe you will. When's registration for Eroica California '23? I'm seeing a registration for some Eroica starting a couple days ago, 10-20-23. If that's not it when would you expect it to happen? Does the ride fill up quickly?

Now that we got that out of the way, More about me. I'm early 60's, decent shape. I'm nothing special on a bike but competent group rider. Raleigh, NC, where I live, ain't flat, but we dont have mountains either. I've been collecting and riding retro for 15 years or more.

Fyi all four of my pre-1988 bikes have 52-42 cranks, and at least a 26 if not a 28 big cog in back. They will all take 25 mm wide tires, not sure yet about 28s.

Did someone say photos?

1987 Faggin, original mix of Mavic, Gipiemme, and Suntour.
I had to bring this one back from the dead. It spent too much time in sunny LA, a bit too close to the shore. Lots of rust. I generally done repaint, but had to in this case. Runs out really well now and probably fits me better than the others. Wont take 28s.

1987 Romic, 531 Reynolds, built as a tri. All original, mostly Shimano 600.
Bought from the original owner a year ago. Great condition and all original. I've switched out the saddle and stem/bars/brake levers (pictured), to replace the wacky 3TTT "Scott" tri-aero bars. Shifting is indexed. Rides great but a bit heavier that the other bikes. Haven't tried 28 wide tires yet.

Next message for last two bikes.
Likes For Paintking:
Old 10-22-22, 06:58 PM
Paintking

And the last two "options":

1985 Vitus. Mostly Campy Record
My most recent discovery. Had to clean it up a bit, but mostly original. I've only ridden a couple times but I'm pleasantly surprised what a nice ride it is. The Simplex shifters are probably the best I've ever used. Breaking is not good. I've switched out the Modolo Equipe brake calipers, put in one pair of Kool Stops, but I think the real problem is the anodized rims. Probably the lightest of the bunch and fits me pretty well. Haven't tried 28 wide tires yet, but mespenhiede suggests, it doesn't look like they'd work.

1986-ish Pinarello Record. All original Campagnolo Record
This bike was quite the find. All original down to the cables, chain and maybe the tires. A bit of surface rust and a few nicks, but overall really nice shape. I've switched out the saddle, wheels, stem/bars/brake levers/cable housing/cables with very similar parts. I wanted to keep all that original stuff intact but also ride the bike. Rides really nicely, but a tad small for me. Might be as light as the Vitus. Might take 28 wide tires. Both this Pinarello and the Vitus share the same Campy Record drive train, and also share the annoying habit of the chain getting stuck between the chain rings when shifting. Any insights on that?
Likes For Paintking:
Old 10-22-22, 07:03 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
If you’re coming, 25s are plenty. (I’m serious). 42-24 is the lowest I’ve used so far and in Sept. 2023 EroicaCa? This is the year I clear all the climbs with that low gear. (Will be 65 y.o. then.)
Old 10-22-22, 11:28 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Paintking

1987 Romic, 531 Reynolds, built as a tri. All original, mostly Shimano 600.
Bought from the original owner a year ago. Great condition and all original. I've switched out the saddle and stem/bars/brake levers (pictured), to replace the wacky 3TTT "Scott" tri-aero bars. Shifting is indexed. Rides great but a bit heavier that the other bikes. Haven't tried 28 wide tires yet.
I can assure you 28 Paselas will fit in the Shimano 600 brakes. I just built an 85 Centurion for my BIL with this setup. Also, Shimano offered a long cage version of this RD, which will handle up to a 34t cog.

Likes For Brad L:
Old 10-23-22, 02:22 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
And the last two "options":

1985 Vitus. Mostly Campy Record
My most recent discovery. Had to clean it up a bit, but mostly original. I've only ridden a couple times but I'm pleasantly surprised what a nice ride it is. The Simplex shifters are probably the best I've ever used. Breaking is not good. I've switched out the Modolo Equipe brake calipers, put in one pair of Kool Stops, but I think the real problem is the anodized rims. Probably the lightest of the bunch and fits me pretty well. Haven't tried 28 wide tires yet, but mespenhiede suggests, it doesn't look like they'd work.

1986-ish Pinarello Record. All original Campagnolo Record
This bike was quite the find. All original down to the cables, chain and maybe the tires. A bit of surface rust and a few nicks, but overall really nice shape. I've switched out the saddle, wheels, stem/bars/brake levers/cable housing/cables with very similar parts. I wanted to keep all that original stuff intact but also ride the bike. Rides really nicely, but a tad small for me. Might be as light as the Vitus. Might take 28 wide tires. Both this Pinarello and the Vitus share the same Campy Record drive train, and also share the annoying habit of the chain getting stuck between the chain rings when shifting. Any insights on that?
Chains stuck between the rings may be because the chain is too narrow but I'm no expert. Just want to welcome you to the forum. Like you, I had a lot of questions about what bike I 'need' for the event. Eroica CA 2022 and L'Eroica XXV were my first two ever. It turned out for me, it is not the bike, it is the ride, the preparation and the people. Once you get rolling all that all is forgotten and what's left is you and your bike grinding away and most likely you get to meet some very nice people If you're a purist, you need to ride narrow tire (25mm max or even tubular), DT shifter, toe clips and non aero brakes. Hard to be pure with modern helmet, wider tires, flat pedals, triples etc.... Moral of the story, don't sweat it, bring what resembles a vintage bike and what enables you to ride most of the route safely without walking. Hard to turn heads since there will be a lot of exceptional looking bikes people bring to the event. Bring your small bike(s) because i'm have hard time finding cool bikes my size
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 10-25-22, 01:28 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
The choices are:

1987 Romic (a fairly rare American made bike)
I'm currently restoring a 1977 Romic, and it's definitely in the current running for my 2023 Eroica bike...yours looks nice; is that the X-100 Road? I'll echo what others have said: big tires, plenty of gears. 2 water bottles would help. My 1977 Romic and 1979 Centurion Pro Tour can both take up to 35c tires, though I was perfectly fine on 28c this past spring.

Here's a sneak peak of one potential 2023 Eroica California ride: my '79 Centurion Pro Tour. I recently picked up a Deerhead/600EX FC-6206 triple crankset, and I'm seriously considering installing it to match the early XT Deerhead FD/RD combo. Plus, there's something odd about the Pro Tour geometry where it really wants very specific cadences to match its speeds, and doesn't handle gear gaps as well as other bikes out there, so I'm hoping that a triple paired with a tighter cassette will improve the overall ride characteristics. I love the 86bcd SR Apex as a wide-range double, so that'll head over to the Romic.

Last edited by fvernon; 10-25-22 at 01:46 PM.
Likes For fvernon:
Old 10-25-22, 07:20 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I just took advantage of the early bird deal and I haven’t even thought about what bike I am riding. All I know is that whichever bike it is , I will have a blast. I am hoping now that it is in September , that the wind won’t be as bad as it was this year. I am hoping for a fantastic turn out so this event can continue.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-26-22, 04:40 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by cinelliguy
September 7th 2023. Plenty of time to get it right. Fingers crossed.
that’s Sept. 17, 2023, unless you’d like to come 10 days early to complete your training. Come to think of it, that’s not a bad idea or way to spend a long vacation.
Old 10-26-22, 04:42 AM
mech986 

New thread for Eroica California 2023

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ambria-ca.html
Old 10-26-22, 04:50 AM
mech986 

To those who rode or registered for the 2022 Eroica California Classic event, you should have received an email thanking you, some commitments on improvements, and offering a super early bird registration for only $90, IMO, a pretty good deal if you plan on going in 2023.

So check your emails and spread the word about the event for next September.
Old 10-26-22, 09:57 AM
mech986 

Per EC website, 2023 event registration for first early rates opens on November 7, 2022.

Registration Eroica California 2023EROICA CALIFORNIA CLASSIC

Registration Period:
7th November 2022 - 31th December 2022 $130.

1st January 2023 - 30th August 2023 $150

31th August 2023 - 13th September 2023 $200

Please note: Students and active Military personal or Veterans : Register for $100, no period.

REGISTER NOW

NOVA + CLASSIC

Registration for Nova Eroica California ( Sep.16th ) and Eroica California Classic ( Sep.17th), 220$ The NOVA ride is being held Saturday, the day before the Eroica Classic California event, so everyone has a chance to ride both events! This is all a part of the new Eroica California Weekend, a chance to bring together more fun and ideas and the best US edition yet.

https://eroica.cc/en/california/regi...ica-california
Old 10-27-22, 09:10 PM
Vitma

Bikes: Emonda, 79/80 Colnago Super, early 80s Eddy Merckx, end 70/beginning 80s Somec Super Corsa, Santa Cruz Bronson

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 34 Posts
I also got the invite for the 90 bucks registration but when I logged in today there is no option to register anymore, only a coupon registration and the Eroica dinner. Does anyone else got this or is this just me? Thanks
Old 10-27-22, 09:33 PM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I just took advantage of the early bird deal and I haven’t even thought about what bike I am riding. All I know is that whichever bike it is , I will have a blast. I am hoping now that it is in September , that the wind won’t be as bad as it was this year. I am hoping for a fantastic turn out so this event can continue.
I've signed up as well. I've had four surgeries since May, the last being on Oct. 13th, so the bike and route will depend on how fast I can heal and then train. My last real ride was on Aug. 6th, so I'll have my work cut out for me. I'm currently waiting for the skin graft donor site on my thigh to heal. It's in the excruciatingly painful period now.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 10-27-22, 09:38 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by Brad L
I've signed up as well. I've had four surgeries since May, the last being on Oct. 13th, so the bike and route will depend on how fast I can heal and then train. My last real ride was on Aug. 6th, so I'll have my work cut out for me. I'm currently waiting for the skin graft donor site on my thigh to heal. It's in the excruciatingly painful period now.
Brad, wish you a speedy recovery. I guess September will give you more time to heal and train. Hope to see you in September.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 10-27-22, 09:41 PM
Vitma

Bikes: Emonda, 79/80 Colnago Super, early 80s Eddy Merckx, end 70/beginning 80s Somec Super Corsa, Santa Cruz Bronson

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
Best wishes from me too. Hang in there.
Likes For Vitma:
Old 10-27-22, 09:45 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by Vitma
I also got the invite for the 90 bucks registration but when I logged in today there is no option to register anymore, only a coupon registration and the Eroica dinner. Does anyone else got this or is this just me? Thanks
Matthias.
i have the same issue. Please visit this link for the latest.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ambria-ca.html
Hope to see you in September.
Thanh
Old 10-27-22, 09:54 PM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
Brad, wish you a speedy recovery. I guess September will give you more time to heal and train. Hope to see you in September.
My thoughts exactly on the September schedule. I'll have to do some long rides in the Texas heat, but I'm used to it.

Originally Posted by Vitma
Best wishes from me too. Hang in there.
Thanks! Just gotta get past this part, then I should be good to go. The surgeries are on my scalp, so it'll be probably January before I can ride outdoors. Until then, it's Zwift (if I can stop having connection issues).
Old 10-27-22, 10:38 PM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
Hope to see you in September.
I'll see you there. This time I'll start on time, whichever route I choose.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 10-27-22, 11:13 PM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
Brad, I hope the pain eases soon. It’s a bummer to be off the bike and then have to get back into conditioning. I’ve only had a few times that required staying off the bike and it ain’t fun.
Old 10-28-22, 02:23 AM
Brad L 

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Brad, I hope the pain eases soon. It’s a bummer to be off the bike and then have to get back into conditioning. I’ve only had a few times that required staying off the bike and it ain’t fun.
Thanks! The last surgery was the 21st I’ve had in the last ten years, most involving skin cancer on my scalp. Recovering fitness after surgery is old hat at this point, though, this is the longest I’ve been off the bike so far. The last one was the 7th attempt in a year to reconstruct my scalp after it stopped healing due to the radiation treatments I’ve received.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.