Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can I use old Tires as Bike Trainer Tires vs discarding them?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-22, 08:56 AM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Can I use old Tires as Bike Trainer Tires vs discarding them? I have about six of them on my garage wall. Its snowing today.
I was going to head out and buy a bike trainer tire and then I thought, "Why not just use these?" Will they burn up or smell?
Old 11-30-22, 09:37 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
Burn up or smell??? What kinda speeds you planning on ?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 11-30-22, 09:39 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
They'll eventually burst when you wear through the tread, but if you're on a trainer that holds the bike by the axle you'll be fine.

I'm not sure I'd use them on a roller, but then I can barely stay on a roller anyway.
Old 11-30-22, 09:55 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
They'll eventually burst when you wear through the tread, but if you're on a trainer that holds the bike by the axle you'll be fine.

I'm not sure I'd use them on a roller, but then I can barely stay on a roller anyway.
Many people define "old tires" as slightly squared off but no where near worn out. Old and worn out tires are exactly what I use on the rollers and I've never (in 50 years) had one "burst." Without the rough surface of the road, they last forever. And regards the OP's question, a typical trainer might wear out tires faster than the road, but you have nothing to lose by putting your old tires on for that use. The only potential problem is if the rubber has hardened with age and is too slippery to properly grab the trainer roller.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-30-22, 10:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
I thought the main reason for trainer tires over regular tires was that some regular tires make more dust as they scrub some on the roller. And that doesn't look good inside on your carpet or floors and nearby walls.

Otherwise the only other concern might be if they slip on the roller. But if you try them, you'll figure out if they work for you or not. Perhaps the worst thing will be is that you'll go through all your old tires quickly and not have any old tires left to use.
Old 11-30-22, 10:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Many people define "old tires" as slightly squared off but no where near worn out. Old and worn out tires are exactly what I use on the rollers and I've never (in 50 years) had one "burst." Without the rough surface of the road, they last forever. And regards the OP's question, a typical trainer might wear out tires faster than the road, but you have nothing to lose by putting your old tires on for that use. The only potential problem is if the rubber has hardened with age and is too slippery to properly grab the trainer roller.
Same here. Don’t really see why anyone would buy a special tire for the trainer.
I’ve heard they’re quieter, but I wouldn’t be able to hear the difference over the fan.
Old 11-30-22, 12:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I'd have thought the worn/squared off tire would be the quietest possible surface.

If you use an old tire, do keep an eye on it. Older tires sometimes develop a bubble in the sidewall -- if that happens, replace it ASAP. If you don't, the blowout will scare everyone in the building and your ears will be ringing for a few hours.
Old 11-30-22, 12:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
It’s what I do with old tires. Works for me.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-30-22, 01:20 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd have thought the worn/squared off tire would be the quietest possible surface.

If you use an old tire, do keep an eye on it. Older tires sometimes develop a bubble in the sidewall -- if that happens, replace it ASAP. If you don't, the blowout will scare everyone in the building and your ears will be ringing for a few hours.
A bubble has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with a defect in the manufacture of the tire.

A few hours? I had a bubble explode once next to me. My one ear was ringing for about 4 months!
Old 11-30-22, 01:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Same here. Don’t really see why anyone would buy a special tire for the trainer.
I’ve heard they’re quieter, but I wouldn’t be able to hear the difference over the fan.
And then I put on loud music to cover the noise of the fan(s), so I REALLY wouldn't hear the difference!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-30-22, 01:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yes, you can, if that's what you'd like to do.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-30-22, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yes, you can, if that's what you'd like to do.
What is the medium answer?
Old 11-30-22, 01:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The medium answer is: "Absolutely not, you'll die in a fireball that will wipe out half a city block." I left it out to avoid confusion.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-30-22, 02:44 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
A bubble has nothing to do with age. It has everything to do with a defect in the manufacture of the tire.
I've got to disagree with you. I've had a couple tires develop sidewall bubbles near the end of tire life, including one tire I took off and set aside for a couple years. It didn't have a bubble when I took it off, but within a half a day of putting it back on, there was a bubble at lunch. Only an hour or so left, so it'll last until the end of the ride, I thought. Nope! (And to make it worse, it was only a few yards past a road kill skunk.) Since it didn't show that bubble for the first 1,000 miles or so, I have a hard time ascribing it to a manufacturing defect.
Old 11-30-22, 02:56 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I honestly have no idea why people buy trainer specific tires for road bikes. I can see doing this if you've got a MTB/CX/Gravel bike with knobbies and you just need a cheap slick that will only be used indoors, but otherwise just run old road tires.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-30-22, 03:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
It's what I'm doing with a GP5000 that got a cut that makes me not trust it on the road. If it blows out on the trainer, I lose nothing but my hearing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-30-22, 03:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've got to disagree with you. I've had a couple tires develop sidewall bubbles near the end of tire life, including one tire I took off and set aside for a couple years. It didn't have a bubble when I took it off, but within a half a day of putting it back on, there was a bubble at lunch. Only an hour or so left, so it'll last until the end of the ride, I thought. Nope! (And to make it worse, it was only a few yards past a road kill skunk.) Since it didn't show that bubble for the first 1,000 miles or so, I have a hard time ascribing it to a manufacturing defect.
I've had two tires bubble. One was a Bontrager Race tire, the other was a Specialized. Neither was at the end of its "natural" life, but probably about mid-way.
Old 11-30-22, 04:21 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Can I use old Tires as Bike Trainer Tires vs discarding them? I have about six of them on my garage wall. Its snowing today.
I was going to head out and buy a bike trainer tire and then I thought, "Why not just use these?" Will they burn up or smell?
Absolutely. No need to buy trainer tires when you've got last season's road tires handy. Ride 'em til there's just the idea of a tire left.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-30-22, 04:54 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I have seen a road tire that has been used on a trainer later fall apart(almost) on the road. The tires in question were Michelin Pro4 service course, a pretty nice riding road tire. They had very little mileage before they went on the trainer. They were on my girlfriend's bike. She would come and ride with me about 50% of the time that I did almost always quitting about 2/3 of the way through my workout. They probably only had 10-15 hours on the trainer. Once we actually started riding outdoors I was riding 3 times as much as she was, but less than halfway through the summer her rear tire started splitting in the middle of the tread. My take is don't ever use really good tires on a trainer

Last edited by alcjphil; 11-30-22 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-30-22, 05:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Absolutely. No need to buy trainer tires when you've got last season's road tires handy. Ride 'em til there's just the idea of a tire left.

BB
I pretty much agree with this. Trainer tires work best, but there is nothing wrong with getting that last bit of service out of your old tires
Old 12-01-22, 01:37 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I recommend putting an old blanket or towel under the rear wheel area, they do put off some ground up rubber. At least they have put out a bit in the total of about 10 hours I've put on the indoor trainer in the past 10 years.
Old 12-01-22, 02:05 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Sure you can. They will last a very short time, but what have you got to lose?
Old 12-01-22, 02:47 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The medium answer is what we get when we have to read tea leaves because an OP is doing the dance of the seven veils. Unnecessary in this case.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-01-22, 04:07 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
True, it depends on what you mean by old. I was picturing the worst case: a tire that's worn the tread off down to the visible cords.

If you wear any tire long enough it'll eventually burst when you've worn it away to the point it can't handle the pressure coming from the tube. It could take thousands of "miles" though.
Old 12-01-22, 06:23 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

The solution is simple. Wear hearing protection when riding your worn out tires on the trainer.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyber-Profess.../dp/B078JWXMVR

Likes For Lombard:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.