Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't wrap my head around BB spindle lengths. And should I even care?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't wrap my head around BB spindle lengths. And should I even care?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-22, 03:00 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Well. I managed to get some time with the Motobécane bottom bracket. It appears to be English/ISO thread on the bottom bracket cups, but Swiss thread bottom bracket. They came with the frame and I assumed (never assume-it makes an ass out of u and me....) they were the cups. Yes ISO threads will go on but tighten and stop. No damage from what I can see but thought I might as well run my Swiss bottom bracket taps in the thread to clean them up. However, my Var 42b inserts from one side but stops short as Motobécane kindly left a step inside so the guiding part will not link with the tap part.....oh the joy, now I will just go and find some Swiss bearing cups....how hard can that be? I will go cartridge if it proves impossible. All this on the day my car went for its annual fitness test (MOT in the UK) and decided to cost me £300+ in paper tokens, lol, I think this is going to be a long day....