Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back In The Saddle, Again...Again!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-31-22, 08:12 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

I was off the bike for 3 weeks this summer with my first bout of Covid which was rougher than I expected, plus a longer recovery than I would have thought. All of which made me feel much older than 60.

But sixteen days ago I had surgery to repair a small inguinal hernia (which did not keep me off the bike).

Three days ago the surgeon said I could get back on the bike.

Yesterday I took a short spin around the neighborhood to see how it felt.

Today, I resumed biking to work with no discomfort or irritation.

All of which makes me feel much younger than 60.

Kudos to the surgeon!
Old 10-31-22, 09:01 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I remember a long time ago (maybe 35 years) I had a small inguinal hernia repaired. I asked the doc, "when can I go back to work?". He said, "The day after surgey if you want to, but I wouldn't. Enjoy some time off". I said, "How much?". He said, "I could support you in taking 6 weeks". So I did. Here is the kicker... He said I could ride my bike right away! So I did. He even said I coild lift the bike on and off of the car if I was careful. I felt a little guilty riding every day, until I wnet back to work and the company doc didn't think I was ready to come back to work He wanted me to take more time!. I told him I had been back to normal and per doctors orders was riding daily. He put me on "light duty" for another 6 weeks.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-01-22, 01:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I had an emergency appendectomy at my college infirmary when I was 17, late in the day. The duty nurse was a little surprised to find me doing pushups beside my bed when she made morning rounds. See, I've always been that way.
Old 11-01-22, 05:06 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
What way is that, exactly?
Old 11-02-22, 10:39 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
What way is that, exactly?
A former girlfriend once said to me, “If I have to explain it to you, what’s the point?”. And that’s how she became a former.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-02-22, 03:19 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I was off the bike for 3 weeks this summer with my first bout of Covid which was rougher than I expected, plus a longer recovery than I would have thought. All of which made me feel much older than 60.

But sixteen days ago I had surgery to repair a small inguinal hernia (which did not keep me off the bike).

Kudos to the surgeon!
If there is no pain, there should be no problem, About 4 year ago I had my appendix out, and 3 weeks later I went for a 20 mile bike ride with the blessing of the surgeon. My appendix was removed with a robot.
Old 11-02-22, 03:33 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If there is no pain, there should be no problem, About 4 year ago I had my appendix out, and 3 weeks later I went for a 20 mile bike ride with the blessing of the surgeon. My appendix was removed with a robot.
That's pretty impressive for an octogenarian!
Old 11-10-22, 01:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
A former girlfriend once said to me, “If I have to explain it to you, what’s the point?”. And that’s how she became a former.
That's true for jokes, at least. If you have to explain a joke, well...
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-11-22, 10:45 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

Kudos to the surgeon!

Sorry that the bout with COVID was worse than expected, glad you're over it and on to better things.

I actually crashed about a week and a half ago. I hit an edge of a driveway at an extreme angle and down I went. So embarrassing, as I have been at this for a long time and I KNOW to avoid that mistake, but I was cycling with others in an unfamiliar area and was distracted by the entrance to a bike path.

Thought I got lucky, as nothing seemed broken, and didn't even get a lot of road rash out of it. But oy, felt that broken rib the next day when I coughed. Broken ribs suck.

It's feeling better, so I'm walking the hood, and I think I might even try a short spin in the hood today and see how the pork ribs feel. Life is good.

Well, good enough.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-12-22, 04:15 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Great reading that time off was only 3 weeks and things are returning to pre -C conditions.

Originally Posted by Biker395
....................................I actually crashed about a week and a half ago..................................Thought I got lucky, as nothing seemed broken, and didn't even get a lot of road rash out of it. But oy, felt that broken rib the next day when I coughed. Broken ribs suck................................ Life is good. Well, good enough.
Broken ribs hurt but depending on severity can still allow for turning the cranks. April 2020 was 1st Wild Hog encounter and the 2 cracked ribs + punctured lung + cracked scapula + shoulder trauma didn't stop me from remounting the bike with help from the friend I was riding with and then bicycled the 4+ miles home at 2AM after which wife drove me to the ER. Was back on the bike in 2 weeks. BUT a fractured tibia almost 4 months ago now by a 2nd Wild Hog encounter got me a call for the ambulance ride to the ER by the police officer who stopped by when he saw the daisied crash results I was showing when he drove by at 3AM.

{B}STILL having swelling and slight pain from the tibia hassle PLUS a new and possibly more severe issue happening with the shin. Back to Ortho next week for a look see. "Life is good. Well, good enough. " just not all the time, at time's it just sucks eggs.

Best wishes for a speedy full recovery.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 11-12-22 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-12-22, 04:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Sorry that the bout with COVID was worse than expected, glad you're over it and on to better things.

I actually crashed about a week and a half ago. I hit an edge of a driveway at an extreme angle and down I went. So embarrassing, as I have been at this for a long time and I KNOW to avoid that mistake, but I was cycling with others in an unfamiliar area and was distracted by the entrance to a bike path.

Thought I got lucky, as nothing seemed broken, and didn't even get a lot of road rash out of it. But oy, felt that broken rib the next day when I coughed. Broken ribs suck.

It's feeling better, so I'm walking the hood, and I think I might even try a short spin in the hood today and see how the pork ribs feel. Life is good.

Well, good enough.
At least it wasn’t as bad as your last fall! Hope it heals quickly.
Old 11-14-22, 01:30 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Thanks! It's been almost 2 weeks and since the ribs don't hurt as much and don't seem to be moving around like they were, I decided to risk a ride for coffee this morning.

Turned out better than I expected! Yea, baby.

I think I need to get on to lifting weights and doing some other weight bearing exercise. I found out recently that I qualify for the "Silver Sneakers" program (gawd, I hate that name), and there is a health club in my hood where I can not only lift weights, but swim too. Since I'm mostly retired, I have the time go when it's not crowded, so I am going to add some of that to my exercise regimen. Gotta lose at least 15 pounds before I dare show up in a speedo, though. Yikes!

Old 11-14-22, 01:32 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by jppe
At least it wasn’t as bad as your last fall! Hope it heals quickly.
OMG, yes! That one was nasty. Having TWO broken arms at the same time sucks, and occipital condyle fractures can be really nasty and life changing. I was so lucky. And I still don't know how that one happened!

Old 11-20-22, 08:29 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Feels good to be peddling again huh? I was off for 4 months after a freak torn achilles tendon. Riding felt good but the lost fitness sucked!
Old 11-21-22, 04:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by sam21fire
Feels good to be peddling again huh? I was off for 4 months after a freak torn achilles tendon. Riding felt good but the lost fitness sucked!
Oy ... I did that playing basketball back when I was in my 30s. Went up for a jump shot and BOOM.

And that is a long recovery. Glad you're back out there!

BTW: No ill effects from the snap, except my vertical jump.

Old 11-21-22, 08:22 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Glad you healed ok. I did mine being adventurous...ok, I was walking into my office to answer the phone and *snap* and down I went. No prior injuries, nada. My previous cycling shortened my recovery quite a bit so there's another reason to stay active!