Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fat Tire Bikes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fat Tire Bikes

Old 12-03-22, 06:16 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
n minus one!!!
Sacrilege!
Old 12-03-22, 07:04 PM
VoodooSix

Bikes: Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 2012 BMC timemachine TM01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well any testing, I am going to have to do myself, just ordered

TORRAMI Solid Neoprene Rubber Strips Roll 1/8 (.125) inch Thick X 2 inch Wide X 10 Feet (amazon)

Going to install the strips on my mountain bike 29 x 2.0 Schwalbe hurricane tires (30 - 65 psi), (tubes are kenda thorn resistant tubes) and ride it down one of the roads that will guarantee a flat. The hurricane tires are at 60 tpi, and the kenda thorn resistant tubes are at 4 mils, if I recall correctly. Not sure of the inflation pressure yet, will keep you all posted!

Cheers!
Old 12-09-22, 07:17 PM
VoodooSix

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So...the rubber strips arrived today, was only able to line one tire as you need 7 feet of rubber to line a 29 inch tire. Chose an inflation of 55 psi front wheel. A two mile ride felt fine with no noticeable change in ride. Will order another 10 feet to line the rear tire, and keep ya all posted. The 10 foot roll cost $15.94, so for about 30 bucks, you can line two tires. Still much cheaper then Tannus or Mr.Tuffy. Will keep you all posted to see if this works out or not.

Cheers!
Likes For VoodooSix:
Old 12-10-22, 10:26 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by VoodooSix
So...the rubber strips arrived today, was only able to line one tire as you need 7 feet of rubber to line a 29 inch tire. Chose an inflation of 55 psi front wheel. A two mile ride felt fine with no noticeable change in ride. Will order another 10 feet to line the rear tire, and keep ya all posted. The 10 foot roll cost $15.94, so for about 30 bucks, you can line two tires. Still much cheaper then Tannus or Mr.Tuffy. Will keep you all posted to see if this works out or not.

Cheers!
I didn't even guess that Mr Tuffy has a fat-tire width, that's really spendy!
Old 12-10-22, 06:45 PM
VoodooSix

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes they pretty have all the current tire sizes available on thru 20, 26, 29, x 2.35 - 5.0

The thing I am seeing with Mr Tuffy Liners is that they tend to wrap around the tube over time, negating any flat protection. Customers come back and say, hey what the hell....I never pushed Mr Tuffy, Tannus, or slime.

Cheers!
Old 12-23-22, 07:28 PM
VoodooSix

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quick reply, the tire is holding good pressure and no flats yet with the 1/8 inch rubber insert. Will keep you all posted.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Likes For VoodooSix:
Old 12-24-22, 09:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Don't know if you've ever ridden a motorcycle, but you never try to fight the handlebar in a turn. You countersteer to get the bike to lean into the turn on its own. This is increasingly important as the bike and the wheels get bigger and heavier.
I never have ridden a motorcycle, but perhaps I also described the steering sensation incorrectly.

On all of my non-fat bikes, I can easily ride no-handed and lean into turns and the bike tracks like I'd expect it to track...proportional to the lean (if that makes any sense). Lean more, turn more. Lean less, turn less. You don't have to manipulate the handlebar at all to control the "rate of turn".

With the Vee Speedsters on the fat bike, the bike will try to turn more the more you lean it. It almost seems like it wants to "spiral" inward towards the radius of the turn. You have to physically countersteer away from the turn to keep the bike from leaning over all the way and crashing, but you still have to maintain the lean to turn the bike where you want it to go. It feels very unnatural.

Interestingly, of the two fat tires I have, that happens only with the Vee Speedsters, and only at typical fat bike pressures (5-15 psi). If I have them up above around 22-25 psi, they don't self-steer much. I presume this is due to the tread pattern and shape of the tire carcass. The self-steer doesn't happen at all with the knobby Surly Nates...at any pressure...even on pavement. I presume it's due to them having much less rubber on the riding surface...and the rubber that is there is squirmier (taller tread blocks), which probably doesn't generate as much grip and self-steer sensation.
Old 12-24-22, 09:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Perhaps said another way (above), the only way to ride that fat bike with those Speedsters and maintain some sort of natural feel is to lean VERY LITTLE to turn. It will ride "neutral" if you keep the bike relatively upright. But that neutral range is very narrow. More than a few degrees of lean, and the bike tries to steer itself into the ground. Perhaps it just requires a very different approach to riding it...one that would probably feel more natural the more miles invested.
Old 03-23-23, 05:20 PM
VoodooSix

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Greetings All,

Just a quick update on the 1/8 inch butyl rubber strips. Been riding about 200-300 miles a week and those strips are working out great. No flats since installation. Hope someone else wants to try them out.

Cheers!
Likes For VoodooSix: