Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which shifter!!?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Which shifter!!?

Old 12-03-22, 08:40 AM
massnspace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which shifter!!?

Hello

I just purchased a used bike and need to replace the shifter.

Currently the bike has a Shimano Alfine 8 hub, model SG-S501 and a Shimano SL-S500 shifter.

Should I just get another S500 shifter? They seem hard to find. I did find one onEbay but I think it is a left hand model…..??? And it has all 8 speeds printed on the plastic lens, not just the “1-4-8” like the existing one. So looks different….?

My research also seems to indicate a SL-S503 or an SL-S7000 may work…..????

Any advice welcome! This whole belt drive world is brand new to me!

Thank you….

Last edited by massnspace; 12-03-22 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-03-22, 04:14 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Alfine 8 speed is Alfine 8 speed. any of the three you've listed will work with your hub. Finish and features vary somewhat. the 503 allows multiple gears to be shifted in one lever movement, depending on how far you move the lever, AKA: Rapid Fire... (personally, i find them annoying)... you may or may not find that to be an advantage. Point is.. This is YOUR decision. Make it... and i've never seen a "Left side Alfine shifter", ever... which is not to say someone has never seen one, or that one was never produced..... DECIDE For Yourself.

also... Alfine hubs come set up for either Chain drive or Belt drive.. most are chain drive... Chains are more efficient, and more versatile. you can't cut a belt to fit any bike, and finding one that is "just right" can be tricky and time consuming in rural America, or even some large cities. Buy a Spare belt.

also.. verify your Handlebar O.D. .. MTB Bars are about 22.2mm, Road Bars are about 24mm.... i'd imagine these shifters come in either diameter, clamp-wise...

Last edited by maddog34; 12-03-22 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-06-22, 03:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Microshift also make a variety of Alfine 8 shifters: https://www.microshift.com/products/.../igh-shifters/ I have used their derailleur products and they have been high quality and cost-effective.