Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How simply do you live?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How simply do you live?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 12:59 AM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Could you recommend a good minimalist blog, please?
Do you want to read about how it is done or do you just want to follow a blog of somebody living that way?

As far as getting instructions it is very easy. Get rid of everything you haven't used in a long time. Have a garage sale or begin selling things with value and take in some money. Donate the rest.

Rent tools or cars when they are needed instead of owning them.

Living with less things takes up less space. It might be beneficial to move to a smaller place or rent a room like I do.

https://www.tosimplify.net/ This is my favorite blog. It isn't an instruction manual. It is an entertaining view into a life of a musician that lives in a Volkswagon Vanagon van. He started in a Ford van with a high top. Then he moved into a Class C small motor home. He downsized to the VW within the last few months. He is happiest in the smallest van. He custom built the interior. Read his blog from the beginning to understand his process and motivation. He is self employed as an arranger. He arranges the music for the TV show "Family Guy." He also performs as a session player on recordings.

https://www.theminimalists.com/start/ These guys are entertaining and write well. They have some videos too.

https://zenhabits.net/minimalist-fun-...ngs-challenge/ I visited this site and didn't find it as entertaining but there are some ideas here that many people like.

I know of a couple of guys with blogs that live with very little. I've only recently come across them and can't recommend them yet. One guy is walking around the world pulling a cart with his things. He's been doing it for fifteen years. The other is traveling around the world with not much more than a back pack. The first guy is doing it to prove something to himself. The second guy is doing it because he likes traveling. He recently formed a company taking people on tours of India.
Old 12-02-13, 03:48 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Have you had any problem copying digital video content from commercial DVDs encoded with digital copy protection?
Why not just put them in the tray and watch them when you like and save the computer for the regular viruses and stuff?
Old 12-02-13, 03:50 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Could you recommend a good minimalist blog, please?
Minimalists don't blog, I would figure.
Old 12-02-13, 06:11 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Why not?
Old 12-02-13, 10:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Why not just put them in the tray and watch them when you like and save the computer for the regular viruses and stuff?
Uh, maybe because the DVD's are no longer available to put in the tray. Ya know, like returned to the owner; rented (Netflix or Redbox) or borrowed from the library or a friend, duh.
Old 12-03-13, 04:05 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You're not "saving" money by spending money on things you don't need.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 12-06-13, 12:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Another free Kindle Book of interest:
Secrets of Quick Decluttering, Selling and Organizing the Home Area: Essential Step by Step Methods to Clutter-Free Lifestyle at Home & Earn Money through Selling Cluttered Items On eBay & Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Quick-.../dp/B00BRNGFU8
Old 12-09-13, 07:31 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Another free Kindle Book of interest:
Secrets of Quick Decluttering, Selling and Organizing the Home Area: Essential Step by Step Methods to Clutter-Free Lifestyle at Home & Earn Money through Selling Cluttered Items On eBay & Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Quick-.../dp/B00BRNGFU8
It's only free if you have Amazon Prime.
Old 12-09-13, 10:57 AM
technoD

Bikes: trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Um actually, yeah we do ... a little.
Old 12-09-13, 11:06 AM
technoD

Bikes: trek 820, schwinn highlander,hardtail 29er, Currie I-Zip 26" Electric bike

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I haven't run into any problems... yet. Most of the stuff I have copied so far has been older. I will have to try one of the newer ones and see if it makes a difference. I did have to download a codec package to play some of them on my laptop.

Aaron
Tip; If you do run into problems with older DVD's try to find a video stabilizer. These were popular in the 80's-90's with VHS tapes because they restore the video and horizontal sync, but this may not work with the newer DVD's.
Old 12-09-13, 11:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Gramercy
It's only free if you have Amazon Prime.
It was free for everybody when I posted three days ago; you need to respond quickly on these free offers.
Old 12-09-13, 06:43 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are Kindle apps that work on computers too. I have one for my Apple computer. I don't have one for my Linux operating system. Post 1501 gives all of the information necessary for removing clutter and becoming a minimalist. Finding sites to sell specific items and finding the value of them might be more involved regarding specialty items and collectibles. Keep what you use and get rid of the rest one way or another. Don't buy more stuff unless you really need it. Simple.
Old 12-16-13, 11:28 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Why not?
Because they shouldn't be spending money of smartphones and internet service. That's not very MINIMAL.

So you can see that a BLOGGING MINIMALIST is an OXYMORON.
Old 12-16-13, 11:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

I have to disagree with post 1501...what you really need is MORE HANDS helping you. It's not a job to do alone after 15 years.
Old 12-16-13, 01:01 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Because they shouldn't be spending money of smartphones and internet service. That's not very MINIMAL.

I would say that a blog is among the simplest ways to publish your thoughts so that others can read them. You don't have to write with a quill on parchment paper and send it by pony express.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-16-13, 03:58 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

No need to SHOUT.

My idea of a minimalist is a person who strives to live with fewer possessions, not someone who owns absolutely nothing. Your definition may be stricter, but I assume you'd allow for having a few items, such as clothing and perhaps a few tools used for make a living, wouldn't you? A computer might fall into the latter category, or perhaps the minimalist uses his employer's computer or one at the library to write his blog.

Last edited by Ekdog; 12-18-13 at 03:21 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 04:22 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels

https://www.tosimplify.net/ This is my favorite blog. It isn't an instruction manual. It is an entertaining view into a life of a musician that lives in a Volkswagon Vanagon van. He started in a Ford van with a high top. Then he moved into a Class C small motor home. He downsized to the VW within the last few months. He is happiest in the smallest van. He custom built the interior. Read his blog from the beginning to understand his process and motivation. He is self employed as an arranger. He arranges the music for the TV show "Family Guy." He also performs as a session player on recordings.
I've been following this guy's blog from the beginning when he was just moving into his first van.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 12-17-13, 06:24 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eofelis
I've been following this guy's blog from the beginning when he was just moving into his first van.
Me too. I was searching for others who want to live in a van or car instead of in a house or apartment. Somehow I found him right at the beginning. Unfortunately my income hasn't been able to get me into a van just yet. It will happen eventually.
Old 12-23-13, 12:00 PM
technoD

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hmmm, I see people at the local library blogging using public computers all the time. I have my own laptop to blog with if I wish,and smartphones can be had very cheaply now and take up very little room in your pocket so they're excellent for minimalists.
Old 12-23-13, 12:03 PM
technoD

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Me too. I was searching for others who want to live in a van or car instead of in a house or apartment. Somehow I found him right at the beginning. Unfortunately my income hasn't been able to get me into a van just yet. It will happen eventually.
I camped in my 1 ton ford van for almost a year, it's a mixed bag at best. Sometimes carefree living, sometimes not!
Old 12-23-13, 03:07 PM
Smallwheels

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by technoD
I camped in my 1 ton ford van for almost a year, it's a mixed bag at best. Sometimes carefree living, sometimes not!
I read a post about someone planning to live in the back seat of a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. He said he wasn't too tall and that there was enough room to lay down. I too would fit. If I were to do it, the back seat would be removed so that the whole rear floor could be converted to a bed. That would seem like a very safe and spacious space to sleep. It would be very stealthy. I rented a GMC Sonoma extended cab small pickup for a week and found enough space behind the front seat to nap during lunch breaks. Doing so in a crew cab would seem luxurious by comparison. Having a van would be palatial.

What made you choose to live in a van? Why did you stop? Did you save a lot of money living that way? Just curious.
Old 12-23-13, 04:39 PM
technoD

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Van living is sort of fun once you get used to it. Well, I guess technically I'm homeless since I just rent a room from my buddy who owns the house and I have a job , but in past years I camped in my van since it was much simpler than trying to pay the extreme rents around here. I did manage to get by pretty cheaply like that for awhile.
Eventually the trans started giving me fits, so I sold it but I may buy another in the future. There are entire forums about people who live this way, some are more extravagant than others.
Old 12-23-13, 05:11 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Paying for a storage unit is terrible! My uncle had to move into a smaller apartment and then decided to dump a bunch of crap at my grandma's house And now they are thinking of taking it to a storage place because they don't want to confront him about all his stuff. As it is you don't even really use/need the stuff you will put in there

Meanwhile these peeps on "Storage Wars" make a quick buck on the things people never bothered to give away/sell before they died/forgot.
Old 12-23-13, 05:20 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
Paying for a storage unit is terrible!
For me it works, but a large part of that is because my storage unit is directly across the street from my apartment, so it's very accessible.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-23-13, 05:26 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

What's stopping them from blogging at the library? These days even the homeless have a laptop with a wireless connection.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.