Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 10:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
This topic reminds me, title included, of one of those gotcha internet ads like "this one new trick will have moms everywhere jumping for joy at reverse aging!" or "this new driver's law in your state has motorists furious about their insurance!". Maybe the OP writes the gotchas for those adverts.
For whatever reason, the latest formulaic headline structure really bugs me: "__________ confirms what we all suspected about ___________ on the set of __________."
Old 04-02-22, 11:37 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
If you think the guy in the original video inspires fear of those of us on bikes, imagine the chaos and confusion in the wake of an alleycat in the city. You can see the switch flick in the eyes of pedestrians. It goes straight from minor annoyance to outright hatred.

And even if you have the alleycat somewhere out of the way, people still get hurt. Personally watched someone hit a little boy walking with his grandfather across 4th ave in Brooklyn. The offending party looked back at the kid, shrugged and rode off with not a care in the world, trying to make up the time he lost looking back.
Old 04-02-22, 11:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
If you think the guy in the original video inspires fear of those of us on bikes, imagine the chaos and confusion in the wake of an alleycat in the city. You can see the switch flick in the eyes of pedestrians. It goes straight from minor annoyance to outright hatred.

And even if you have the alleycat somewhere out of the way, people still get hurt. Personally watched someone hit a little boy walking with his grandfather across 4th ave in Brooklyn. The offending party looked back at the kid, shrugged and rode off with not a care in the world, trying to make up the time he lost looking back.

The phrase "Bike Nazi" comes to mind with the hitting the kid story. Anybody got a problem with that?
Old 04-02-22, 12:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
touching the moving vehicles is part of the culture. its harmless. Roadies do some weird things too so lets not diss the fixie scum too much, atleast he is on a bike!
If he did to me what he does to those pedestrians, I'd do what I could to make him eat his bike.

He's hitting those cars so they stop and not run into him. He's having to do that because he's not fast enough to complete the passes he's starting. That ain't skill, that's relying on the kindness of strangers to bail him out.
Old 04-02-22, 12:28 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

A buddy and I tried to catch up to mr. bikes into little kids to at least get him to apologize or something but he took off like a bat out of hell. We went back to check on the boy and he was still on the ground going, “owwwwww.” He was good to go after a couple more minutes, though.
Last alleycat I ever participated in.
Old 04-02-22, 01:00 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Not all alleycat crash stories are bad, though.

In the middle of another, probably the year before that last one, a friend of mine goes down hard. She can’t get up for several minutes. She’s covered in scrapes with a softball sized bloody looking bump swelling up her right forearm and can barely walk.

Luckily, this lady dressed in scrubs is driving by and sees the whole thing. She stops and, after my friend refuses an ambulance, says we should wait at her place for my friend’s dad to come pick her up. Turns out she’s a nurse and lives a few blocks away.
We go over and she cleans up my friend, gives her some Motrin and lets three complete strangers, one of whom is seriously banged up and bloody, hang out like an hour waiting for my friend’s dad to come get her and her bike.

A week later, the other guy that was there and I go over to drop off a big thing of flowers as a thank you.
She and her husband and their hot daughter pull up in their car just as we’re leaving, see why we were there and insist we stay for an iced tea.
Not only was the daughter hot, she was smart, funny and industrious.
We ended up dating a couple short months before she figured out she was too good for me.
Old 04-02-22, 01:15 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The most insane Terry B video I've seen is him following the (now well known) Safa Brian in the rain in Mexico City:

This starts getting terrifying at about 3:00 and doesn't really let up.

I have mixed feelings about YouTube riders like Terry, Lucas Brunnelle and Safa. They all often ride in a manner that endangers or at least inconveniences others, but that's certainly not all they do. They all test the limits of what bikes can do and are unwilling to be constrained by fear. They'll post annoying rides of themselves cutting off pedestrians and then they'll post fascinating stuff like riding road bikes in the Everglades or ersatz Manhattan singletrack or bombing a deserted canyon at 60 mph. Yes they can ride like entitled children, but they can also ride with outlaw freedom. I think that bring something both regrettable and compelling to road cycling.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 04-02-22, 02:08 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
The most insane Terry B video I've seen is him following the (now well known) Safa Brian in the rain in Mexico City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVQFUTywIQ&t=1036s

This starts getting terrifying at about 3:00 and doesn't really let up.

I have mixed feelings about YouTube riders like Terry, Lucas Brunnelle and Safa. They all often ride in a manner that endangers or at least inconveniences others, but that's certainly not all they do. They all test the limits of what bikes can do and are unwilling to be constrained by fear. They'll post annoying rides of themselves cutting off pedestrians and then they'll post fascinating stuff like riding road bikes in the Everglades or ersatz Manhattan singletrack or bombing a deserted canyon at 60 mph. Yes they can ride like entitled children, but they can also ride with outlaw freedom. I think that bring something both regrettable and compelling to road cycling.
I'm personally a big fan of Safa Brian. As someone that grew up mountain biking and the punk scene and now road cycling seriously I dig what he's doing and he's got a really positive attitude.

He also is getting more into filming other people and really makes an effort to showcase other riders in his area. I feel that what he does is not really the same as the video Larry put up in his initial post, but I understand opinions on that might vary.
Old 04-02-22, 02:18 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
I'm personally a big fan of Safa Brian. As someone that grew up mountain biking and the punk scene and now road cycling seriously I dig what he's doing and he's got a really positive attitude.

He also is getting more into filming other people and really makes an effort to showcase other riders in his area. I feel that what he does is not really the same as the video Larry put up in his initial post, but I understand opinions on that might vary.
the video he posted is the craziest in this thread by far, the car dodge near the end is legendary
Old 04-02-22, 07:02 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If he did to me what he does to those pedestrians, I'd do what I could to make him eat his bike.

He's hitting those cars so they stop and not run into him. He's having to do that because he's not fast enough to complete the passes he's starting. That ain't skill, that's relying on the kindness of strangers to bail him out.
One time I tapped a car because he's driving at the bike lane, blocking other riders for seemingly no apparent reason, he immediately stopped. If the roads are busier, it could have caused a pile up.

No it isn't act of kindness. It actually spooks drivers. You know how drivers are extremely worried at the sound of anything hitting their car on a busy road. They'd be thinking dent or scratch or worse. I know because I'm a driver too. The sound of anything hitting your car is a major distraction on the road. So if you do it on purpose for no reason at all except the vendetta to annoy drivers, it makes you a huge hazard on the road. If you ran out of luck, you can cause a major accident.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-02-22, 07:09 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
What a freaking jack@$$.

At the age of 74, my mother got knocked over by a jerk like this.

I found myself hoping he gets doored before he hurts someone else.
No matter what you think of a person and their actions, it's really not nice to wish death on someone...with the exception of child molesters and child sex abusers which as far as we know this cyclist is not one of those.
Old 04-02-22, 07:39 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
They all often ride in a manner that endangers or at least inconveniences others, but that's certainly not all they do. They all test the limits of what bikes can do and are unwilling to be constrained by fear.
It doesn't matter if you're doing lots of positive things for other people even if you're Elon Musk or the president of a large humanitarian organization. It doesn't give you the privilege to endanger others when there are much safer options or choices to do one thing or fulfill your urges. It only turns you into an elitist, a snob for thinking everyone else is less important, less useful than you that it's a not a big deal if you end up hurting or annoying others with what you do.

There are many ways to satisfy your adrenaline urges without hurting others who doesn't wish to be part of the action. They do it in mountain tracks, race tracks, cordoned areas, officially sanctioned races / events, etc. Act like a professional instead of a deluded maniac and it will be good for everyone.

Because when luck runs out, it can be in the most ironic sense. Often at times when you're weak, vulnerable, old, and hardly anybody knows you anymore.

Last edited by qwaalodge; 04-02-22 at 07:44 PM.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-02-22, 09:17 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
No matter what you think of a person and their actions, it's really not nice to wish death on someone...with the exception of child molesters and child sex abusers which as far as we know this cyclist is not one of those.
I didn’t wish him dead. Don’t go putting words in my mouth.

But if he is going to put everyone at risk, I hope he pays the price rather than someone else.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-03-22 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-02-22, 10:03 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I did wish him dead. Don’t go putting words in my mouth.

But if he is going to put everyone at risk, I hope he pays the price rather than someone else.
I think you meant to say “didn’t wish…”

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-03-22, 05:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I think you meant to say “didn’t wish…”

Dan
Oops! Thanks for catching that.

Edit made.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-03-22, 06:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts

Not surprising in a Larry thread....
Old 04-03-22, 08:24 AM
LarrySellerz

He's touching the cars because he wants to and its part of the culture. Some may say that by placing your hands on the car, you can feel it start to turn into you sooner than your eye, so its for safety. Im kind of skeptical of this. As for "hitting" he isn't smacking the cars, heck I bet the cagers don't even notice half the time.

its also a brief spurt of free speed, like a sticky bottle for pro racers. Being able to smoothly skitch is a learned skill that is very handy in winning races, most most of those touches weren't skitches
Old 04-03-22, 09:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
He's touching the cars because he wants to and its part of the culture.
It's not "part of the culture" for the motorists.

And besides, there are plenty of distasteful and even repugnant cultural practices...Like racism and sexism. Do you support those, since they are "part of the culture"?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-03-22, 10:18 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Koyote
It's not "part of the culture" for the motorists.

And besides, there are plenty of distasteful and even repugnant cultural practices...Like racism and sexism. Do you support those, since they are "part of the culture"?
defending cagers in bikeforums....
Old 04-03-22, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You the thought police now?

Your arguments don't work, and this is all you've got? We've got to follow the official party line? Screw that.
Old 04-03-22, 10:34 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
FYI: Large majority of cyclists on bikeforums and in this country own a vehicle and drive .
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-03-22, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

He's touching the cars because he wants to and its part of the culture. Some may say that by placing your hands on the car, you can feel it start to turn into you sooner than your eye, so its for safety. Im kind of skeptical of this. As for "hitting" he isn't smacking the cars, heck I bet the cagers don't even notice half the time.

its also a brief spurt of free speed, like a sticky bottle for pro racers. Being able to smoothly skitch is a learned skill that is very handy in winning races, most most of those touches weren't skitches

As far as I can see, all you're doing here is making the case against street racing. If these techniques are necessary, street racers should expect getting hurt, killed and arrested, probably not in that order.
Old 04-03-22, 11:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
If you could afford a car, you might feel differently.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-03-22, 11:18 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
You do know how dumb it sounds when you call drivers cagers...right? It's not like people that ride seriously don't also drive.

You are trying WAY too hard.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 04-03-22, 12:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by KJ43
You do know how dumb it sounds when you call drivers cagers...right? It's not like people that ride seriously don't also drive.

You are trying WAY too hard.
Cagers is an old motorcycling term it’s not dumb
Likes For LarrySellerz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.