Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Messenger Riding Fast and Fluid Through NYC Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 12:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I have thought for a long time that front brakes should be required on all bikes including fixies, and it should be enforced which most cities will not do, at least here in the US they won't enforce it. That death in England is just one reason for requiring and enforcing front brakes, and the article said there have been many such accidents where a bike without a front brake was involved, and those deaths are both to peds as well as to cyclists. 70% of your stopping ability rests on your front brake and tire, why compromise so much braking force? I know fixie bikes are all the rage, it's so cool, but at some point coolness ends with stupidity.
Brakes are required in most states. California specifies you must be able to skid a wheel on dry pavement. New York does as well, so if that guy's riding with no brakes in NYC, he's breaking the law, or perhaps more accurately ALSO breaking that law.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-22, 02:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm with Larry! No use for cagers since they took my license. Plus the shelter I live in has no parking.
Cheez, is that you?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-04-22, 03:02 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Brakes are required in most states. California specifies you must be able to skid a wheel on dry pavement. New York does as well, so if that guy's riding with no brakes in NYC, he's breaking the law, or perhaps more accurately ALSO breaking that law.
lol he can definitely skid a wheel. I’m looking to get a track bike myself but I’ll run a front brake unless I’m racing
Old 04-04-22, 03:05 PM
Trakhak

It's-all-about-me riders like those guys are just as cool as drivers who pass stopped school buses on the right at full speed. Another set of heroes for Larry!
Old 04-04-22, 03:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
lol he can definitely skid a wheel. I’m looking to get a track bike myself but I’ll run a front brake unless I’m racing
Yeah, that doesn't count. Plus it's stupid anyway. You're giving up your best safety device to appeal to a bunch of idiots.

Old 04-04-22, 03:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Cheez, is that you?

IIRC, Cheez actually owned his shed, plus a real bike or two. Elitist!

Last edited by shelbyfv; 04-04-22 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-04-22, 04:41 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
So, huge guy crush on sweaty nyc bike messengers and doesn’t even own a track bike? Oy gevalt!
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-04-22, 05:46 PM
Sailboat Bob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those of you reprimanding the guy in the video, have you drove in mamhatten? I have, its crazy. You kinda just have to be aggressive or else yoire not getting anywhere, even as a pedestrian. Ill remain nutreal, yes hes being reckless but but hes from there and thats what he knows and hes a kid
Old 04-04-22, 06:03 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailboat Bob
Those of you reprimanding the guy in the video, have you drove in mamhatten? I have, its crazy. You kinda just have to be aggressive or else yoire not getting anywhere, even as a pedestrian. Ill remain nutreal, yes hes being reckless but but hes from there and thats what he knows and hes a kid
Lived, biked, and drove in Manhattan for 5+ years. This guy is a toolbox, none of that excuses his behaviors in any way.
Likes For Ubie:
Old 04-04-22, 06:11 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I was born and raised in Manhattan, commuted to work by bike for something like twenty to twenty five years and also worked as a bike messenger here in my youth. Crazy as it seems to people that do not live here, it is entirely possible to go through life without riding like that lol.
Old 04-04-22, 06:31 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I completely understand the New York bike messenger thing; however, this guy crosses the line when he endangers pedestrians. That's a no-go for me. It's been mentioned many times previously but it's fine if the guy is willing to endanger his own life, but when he endangers the lives of the people around him, screw him.

If he continues to ride like this every day, I virtually guarantee that he has either 1) caused a crash or injury, 2) Been in a crash and got injured or 3) Will continue to cause crashes and injury to others.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-04-22, 06:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Histrionic Personality Disorder

This seems appropriate. " People with this disorder have an overwhelming desire to be noticed, and often behave dramatically or inappropriately to get attention."
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-04-22, 06:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
This seems appropriate. " People with this disorder have an overwhelming desire to be noticed, and often behave dramatically or inappropriately to get attention."
I've lost track: are we talking about Larry, or that guy in the video?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-04-22, 06:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Lived in Brooklyn for 10 years, commuted by bike to Manhattan. You can be assertive without being a dickhole that endangers and pisses off everyone else.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-04-22, 06:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-04-22, 07:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

The You Tube clown for sure. Larry would never engage in inappropriate attention seeking behavior.
Old 04-04-22, 07:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The You Tube clown for sure. Larry would never engage in inappropriate attention seeking behavior.
Perish the thought.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-22, 08:34 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yes, I have driven and ridden in Manhattan hundreds of times. You need to be confident and decisive. But you do NOT need to drive or ride like an A-hole and endanger other people. There are a gazzilion people on bikes in NYC, and the vast majority don't ride like that guy.... because there is no reason to.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-05-22, 06:05 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yes, I have driven and ridden in Manhattan hundreds of times. You need to be confident and decisive. But you do NOT need to drive or ride like an A-hole and endanger other people. There are a gazzilion people on bikes in NYC, and the vast majority don't ride like that guy.... because there is no reason to.
Same. When I began messengering (using car or bike) in Manhattan in the late '60s, I learned quickly that what looks like chaos is in fact an intricate dance. Primary rule: everyone is alloted 6 inches of inviolate personal space front and back and on both sides. Hey, I'm drivin'/ridin'/walkin' heah!
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-05-22, 06:32 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Same. When I began messengering (using car or bike) in Manhattan in the late '60s....
Speaking of which, who even uses bike messengers any more? In the 2020s? Sure, I get it, there are still certain documents or drawings that need original signatures, but in an era of legal electronic signatures one would think the bike messenger has long since gone the way of the tin can and string,

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I hear the ice delivery guy at my door....
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 04-05-22, 06:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes.
And throw in Lucas Brunelle as well.
Old 04-05-22, 02:46 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Safa's videos are some of the best cycling content on YouTube... and then he posted an incredibly annoying one of himself and another guy bombing a crowded two-way, mixed-use singletrack at top speed, bullying the hikers out of the way.
I've watched a lot of Safa's videos including his mountain biking and gravel vids. I've never seen him ever bully others or bomb at full speed on singletrack at top speed past hikers. Which of his posts are you referring to?
Old 04-05-22, 04:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
You talking about our Larry?

Why not both?
​​​​​​​
Old 04-06-22, 12:42 PM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
but, the only ones doing the canceling are the ones crying about being canceled. gaslighting 101
Old 04-06-22, 12:48 PM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
most are outraged because it takes tons more skill and round things than 99% of bicycle owners got .........and the reason they ride like they do is because lazy A circles demand that their meaningless scrap gets delivered yesterday .... so give the courierS some due cause this is a bicycle forum and not an A&S grievance thread ... it aint easy being the proletariat
can one be mesmerized and appalled at the same time? i was worried about him hitting a pothole loose gravel, curb , wondering what kind of tires he was running and scared for the others in the video. no doubt hes a jerk. a talented jerk , but still a jerk. and i've no doubt if he continues he'll have a hell of a hospital bill one day, either his or someone else's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.