Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

need to brush up on my dog defense skills

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

need to brush up on my dog defense skills

Old 04-11-22, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Dog are more likely to turn aggressive towards anything that don't look or smell familiar to them. Dogs recognize by smell, form, and movement.

Smell is a huge deal to dogs. Keep smells as little as possible. Avoid fabric softener, perfume, cologne, strong smelling soap / shampoo. Shower after every workout or any activity that makes you sweat. Avoid eating red meat / exotic foods before a ride. Keep your BMI under 23.

You'll find dogs are less likely to chase women due to less body odor and less meat on diet. Someone on a bike is less likely to be seen as prey by dog. More often than not, if chased, they see you as a threat

Appearance will also matter. In this aspect, simply try to blend in. If all the cyclists in your area are riding on cruiser bikes and not wearing helmets you'll greatly improve your chance of avoiding catching dog's attention if you also ride on cruise bikes and not wear helmet.. I'm only saying it as an example, not to discourage anyone from wearing a helmet. I wear helmet in all my outdoor rides too even in short 5 minute rides.

Finally, movement. Avoid any rough, sudden movements. Make smooth delivery of power on the pedal. Avoid abrupt pedaling, avoid aggressive motions on the bike. Avoid unusual postures. Riding like a clown will absolutely get a dog's attention from miles away.

Is your list of made-up facts going to get longer every time someone mentions a dog?

The pedaling technique stuff is hilarious! Dogs hate an uneven cadence, I guess.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-22, 10:43 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Is your list of made-up facts going to get longer every time someone mentions a dog?

The pedaling technique stuff is hilarious! Dogs hate an uneven cadence, I guess.
Some will get mad at you by being the odd guy in a forum.

It's the same thing with dogs. They also single out the odd guy but there's more to dogs than just how you look, dogs will also discriminate by how odd you smell or move.

Maybe if the all the riders in the area have uneven cadence and you as stranger to that area also have uneven cadence, maybe the local dogs will leave you alone! But yeah, an uneven cadence can appear like you could hurt someone.
Old 04-11-22, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,468 Times in 7,309 Posts

Uneven cadence they can see from miles way, no less.
Old 04-11-22, 10:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yes, too much contrast and you look like a giant bee.

Try wearing light colored shirt, pants, and gloves next time and also wear clear, not shaded eyewear. That high vis vest and helmet would still be quite visible even if you wear light colored shirt and pants.

I heard the sounds of airplanes upset dogs, but they hide it well. Should I avoid riding anywhere that has skies?

Dogs are color-blind by the way.
Old 04-11-22, 10:50 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

I heard the sounds of airplanes upset dogs, but they hide it well. Should I avoid riding anywhere that has skies?

Dogs are color-blind by the way.
Dogs actually see colors - shades of gray, brown, blue, and yellow. They can certainly recognize the flag of Ukraine.

https://www.purina.com/articles/dog/...dogs-see-color
Old 04-11-22, 10:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Some will get mad at you by being the odd guy in a forum.

It's the same thing with dogs. They also single out the odd guy but there's more to dogs than just how you look, dogs will also discriminate by how odd you smell or move.

Maybe if the all the riders in the area have uneven cadence and you as stranger to that area also have uneven cadence, maybe the local dogs will leave you alone! But yeah, an uneven cadence can appear like you could hurt someone.

You're not being singled out for being the "odd guy", you're being noticed for making multiple absurd posts in several threads that aren't remotely plausible to anyone who's ever actually met a dog.

You've been asked several times what the source is for all this "knowledge", yet you continue to just produce more of it, each claim more outlandish than the previous.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-22, 10:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Dogs actually see colors - shades of gray, brown, blue, and yellow. They can certainly recognize the flag of Ukraine.

https://www.purina.com/articles/dog/...dogs-see-color

Colorblindness is not the absolute inability to see color, it's a level of sensitivity to color that's lower than "normal". Compared to humans, dogs are colorblind. There's absolutely no reason to believe that they react aggressively to yellow.
Old 04-11-22, 11:03 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Colorblindness is not the absolute inability to see color, it's a level of sensitivity to color that's lower than "normal". Compared to humans, dogs are colorblind. There's absolutely no reason to believe that they react aggressively to yellow.
I think they react more to patterns and contrast. Dogs are familiar with wasps and may react defensively if the color patterns you wear makes you look like a wasp from a distance. Helmet and dark eyewear can make you look like a wasp, worse if you got stripes on your shirt or pants.

In addition to being the odd guy, you may also get attacked if you get associated with threats, like appearing like a wasp. Often dogs will also associate the smell of alcohol as a threat signal. The smell of exotic foods (particularly exotic meat) are often treated the same as alcohol.
Old 04-11-22, 11:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Dogs are familiar with wasps and may react defensively if the color patterns you wear makes you look like a wasp from a distance.
Truth! As everyone knows, John Belushi was killed by a pack of enraged dogs.

Often dogs will also associate the smell of alcohol as a threat signal.
If dogs reacted aggressively to the smell of alcohol, my dogs would've killed me years ago.
Old 04-11-22, 11:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I had a bizarre encounter with animal control after I was bitten. The officer said that she didn't think the dog "had malicious intent." At the time I figured the ability to read the mind of a dog was pretty unique....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-11-22, 11:16 AM
indyfabz

These are wheels for a Nissan Cube. Know what I'm sayin'?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-11-22, 11:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think they react more to patterns and contrast. Dogs are familiar with wasps and may react defensively if the color patterns you wear makes you look like a wasp from a distance. Helmet and dark eyewear can make you look like a wasp, worse if you got stripes on your shirt or pants.

In addition to being the odd guy, you may also get attacked if you get associated with threats, like appearing like a wasp. Often dogs will also associate the smell of alcohol as a threat signal. The smell of exotic foods (particularly exotic meat) are often treated the same as alcohol.

Again, citations needed.

Dogs don't attack bees and wasps, that's idiotic. And you seriously think a dog is going to mistake a rider on a bike for a wasp?

Go ahead, produce one link of any kind supporting these inane assertions. I'm sure dogs can be trained to be aggressive towards people with certain smells, but I've never seen anything published or in real life that indicates that alcohol smells trigger dogs. And what the hell is an exotic food? Talk about relative terms.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-22, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Needs a dead truck battery.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-22, 11:18 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Prolly shouldn't wear my favorite kit anymore.

Old 04-11-22, 11:23 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Koyote
Truth! As everyone knows, John Belushi was killed by a pack of enraged dogs.

If dogs reacted aggressively to the smell of alcohol, my dogs would've killed me years ago.
Some dogs will associate the smell of alcohol with abusive behavior especially they had previous or current owner who are abusive as alcoholic.

If you are nice to your dogs, I don't see drinking a pint a problem but other dogs may not be as kind.
Old 04-11-22, 11:38 AM
indyfabz

Some dogs will associate the smell of alcohol with abusive behavior especially they had previous or current owner who are abusive as alcoholic.

If you are nice to your dogs, I don't see drinking a pint a problem but other dogs may not be as kind.
So don't drink alcohol while riding. Thanks. Never realized drinking alcohol while riding could be hazardous. Do you think it would be ok if there are no dogs around, or might it attract them from miles and miles around, putting me in danger?
Old 04-11-22, 11:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I've been showing your posts to a beagle. I have discovered how to make a dog laugh.

If the dog associates the smell with abuse, they will likely cower, not fly in from a distance to attack it.

Just. Quit.
Old 04-11-22, 11:43 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The owner has already shown no concern for larger society nor the dog. You don't forgo personal safety, and possibly your life, because you're afraid of offending the person in the wrong to begin with. People have this mental image of these events with some small furry 35 pound dog that just gets in a few bite marks. People have died from dog attacks.

This is 100% stereotypical victim blaming plain and simple and doesn't have a place in civilized society. That person doesn't get to do whatever they want because you'd rather get mauled to not upset the owner. What then? Avoid the area and do nothing and get mauled just so the next unsuspecting bike rider or God forbid a child gets mauled? No.
Wow.
Nowhere in my reply did I even suggest that a rider shouldn't defend themselves against a dog. In fact, I believe I had suggested using HALT! spray. It does the trick without causing permanent harm.
How many children have you shot for riding their bicycles across your lawn?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-11-22, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Wow.
Nowhere in my reply did I even suggest that a rider shouldn't defend themselves against a dog. In fact, I believe I had suggested using HALT! spray. It does the trick without causing permanent harm.
How many children have you shot for riding their bicycles across your lawn?

Seriously. All you did was suggest a different spray, and now you're buying the dog and the owner steak dinners or something. Even if it isn't an issue of permanently harming the dog, any time you use a spray, there's the possibility of mishap, so it seems pretty sound reasoning that using something a bit less noxious than bear spray if possible protects you and people around you from some potentially serious harm.

TL/DR: You're being pilloried for noticing dogs aren't bears.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-22, 04:00 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Similar to some here, a friend of mine was prone to use his pepper spray indiscriminately. He was spray happy, and I used to annoy him by saying his motto should be "spray first, ask questions later" or "the best dog is the dead dog".
Old 04-11-22, 04:28 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I have an incredibly low tolerance for what I saw in the video. I would have kicked the piss out of that dog and laid into the owner hard. Not once did she correct the dog. She had no control over it whatsoever.
Old 04-11-22, 05:30 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I’m still flabbergasted by what we learned about the behavior of dogs in the kingdom of qwaa. I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

This might explain why one of my dogs went nuts chasing this bee or wasp when she was just a wee pup. The funny thing is, she finally got it in her mouth and chewed it up. But it must have stung her as it was being crushed or chased because she had some sort of allergic reaction. Her head swelled up grotesquely. She looked like a freaky jack o’ lantern, it was so bad.

Thankfully, she was okay again by the time we got to the vet’s office.

She’s gotta have some qwaa dog in her pedigree.
Old 04-11-22, 06:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

Grateful that model was finally discontinued.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-11-22, 07:41 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Often dogs will also associate the smell of alcohol as a threat signal. The smell of exotic foods (particularly exotic meat) are often treated the same as alcohol.
Considering his username is "rumrunn6" he most likely was heavily inebriated and reeked of alcohol, probably of rum, and that sealed his fate.
Old 04-11-22, 07:49 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Considering his username is "rumrunn6" he most likely was heavily inebriated and reeked of alcohol, probably of rum, and that sealed his fate.
I honestly missed that clue. Must be the dog owner's highly distracting screechy robot voice. Would have made this thread a lot shorter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.