Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 08:53 AM
wayneliu1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

long time lurker here. I pulled the trigger on a set of Falcon R45's last night and will be sending my hubs to light bicycle. Surprisingly I have never shipped anything to China(or international) before. Anyone have any guidance on carrier I should use and specifics around supporting documentation I need to be aware of? My options are USPS, FEDEX, USPS and i'll be shipping from US. Since it takes about 3-4 weeks to build the rim's, thinking some normal shipping method with good reliable tracking would be fine.

Appreciate the help.
Old 05-05-22, 08:54 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm considering both the Falcon Pro WR50 and AR50s for a road bike. I want to run 28s on them. I think the WR50s will be a bit more aerodynamic while offering a wider footprint, has anyone tried to run tubeless 28s on the WR50?
I have run tubeless 30mm tires on my WR50s. My feeling just based on riding is the wider rims are not as aero, they slope too much and the flow detaches earlier. I think you need to go to something like a WR65 to keep the flow attached. The WR65 was not available in the US shop or I would have gotten them, and now I regret it a bit. Still the WR50s are great wheels.
Old 05-05-22, 09:00 AM
tak2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I would consider having the rims sent to the States and building the wheels at home if you want to use your hubs. Shipping both ways to China may take more time.
Likes For tak2:
Old 05-05-22, 09:09 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by tak2
I would consider having the rims sent to the States and building the wheels at home if you want to use your hubs. Shipping both ways to China may take more time.
Issue is that they'd have to figure out what spokes they need, or have a pro wheelbuilder here figure that out for them. And that would add another expense on top of the wheelbuilding fee. But I agree that going local with china rims is a good, and commonly used idea.
Old 05-05-22, 09:19 AM
wayneliu1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Issue is that they'd have to figure out what spokes they need, or have a pro wheelbuilder here figure that out for them. And that would add another expense on top of the wheelbuilding fee. But I agree that going local with china rims is a good, and commonly used idea.
Yeah I did look at local and having the rims shipped here. It would have been double the price and i'm actually not in a huge rush so willing to wait 2-3 months for wheels.
Old 05-05-22, 09:37 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by wayneliu1
Yeah I did look at local and having the rims shipped here. It would have been double the price and i'm actually not in a huge rush so willing to wait 2-3 months for wheels.
What does LB recommend you do to ship? Also, don't they have warehouses in other countries? They're not letting you ship hubs to those?

I think if your hubs are expensive, you don't want to declare their value to be too high, because that might cause issues with customs. But I'm sure someone else here is more knowledgeable than me.
Old 05-05-22, 07:15 PM
zhoushenglin
Bikeknow

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sending small stuff to China is easy. Since the production for rims takes about 2-4 weeks, I think using USPS is enough and would not exceed that time range to make any delay for the whole building. Additionally, building wheels in China saves you quite a few bucks compared to that in the States.
Old 05-05-22, 07:40 PM
wayneliu1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in communication with them and will see if I can ship to their canadian office. They will need to transfer the rims from China to Canada. If I can't do this then i'll try the USPS route. UPS and Fedex was about $200 to ship the hubs to China.
Old 05-16-22, 06:24 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Snaildrake
That's a nice setup all the way around, KJ43. How much did they run you? The shallower depth rim is probably the best all around. I have a set of WR50s on DT240s on my road bike that have about 3000 miles on them now, and they can be a little dicey in a strong crosswind.
i got a set that is WR50 in the back and WR35 in the front. Solves the cross-wind concern, if there are others out there considering buying. DT240 hubs. Using with 32c gp5000 tires as “gravel lite/road” wheelset for my Moots. Bulletproof.
Old 05-16-22, 08:20 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Just bit the bullet. R45s laced to DT Swiss 240s via Sapim CX Rays, with red alloy nipples to match the red badge on my Lynskey.

Likely picking up a new cassette (SRAM-1170 11-28 or Ultegra 11-30), and new rotors so I can use the original wheels as backup. Or maybe gravel (for the 1-2x a year I might do that).

These will be replacing Vision Team 30s with an HG800 11-34 and Shimano 86-series rotors. No complaints about braking, but the slow acceleration and wide spaced gearing always irked me relative to my other bikes (both with rim brakes, but lighter wheels and closer-ratio cassettes).

Depending on the supply chain situation, maybe I'll get the new wheels on before the end of summer!
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 05-18-22, 09:46 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Welp.

My "mullet" option front WR50 rear AR56, Carbon-Ti hub, CX Ray spokes, no internal holes, flyweight option wheelset finally arrived after I ordered in February. It took them a while to build and then there was some back and forth to make them look more similar in finish (something LB actually made me aware of, that I'd missed when they initially sent me the warehouse photos). Weight comes in at 1,387 grams without the tubeless valves. Mounted a 28mm GP5K S TR on the front without any drama. Next up, mounting the 30mm I had ordered and had in waiting for nearly 3 months. Only problem: the tire had a >1 cm cut on the sidewall already.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-23-22, 07:55 PM
zhoushenglin
Bikeknow

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The LB website is impressively shopping straight forward. Does anyone have experience with their "Quick Buy" option? Looks like LB is specialized in customization for quite a wide range of wheels, I do love it. The long waiting time is okay as the "full custom" is really worth it. However, if there is a quicker option (they claim 3 business days to ship on order for "QUICK BUY") and the specs are not bad for me, I would like to give them a chance as well. Before putting money on that, good for me to hear any advice, thank you.

Last edited by zhoushenglin; 05-23-22 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-13-22, 11:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I just ordered a set of AR28 i9 Torch wheels for my wife. It sounds like they have a reasonably quick turn-around time.

These will be for 12mm thru axle.

[edit: found where I could buy end-caps for QR]

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 07-13-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 07:48 PM
zhoushenglin
Bikeknow

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you. Yes, I finally ordered AR55 Falcon Pro wheelset on "Quick Buy" and they did ship out the wheels 2 days later. Great for me. But a bit unfortunately, after my AR55 arrived with me, I just found they also offered compelling carbon spoke wheelset (AR465 race edition) which I would rather like go for it.... ww.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/Light-Bicycle-Flyweight-Carbon-Spokes--Lightweight---Lightning-Fast.html

Last edited by zhoushenglin; 07-20-22 at 12:14 AM.
Likes For zhoushenglin:
Old 07-20-22, 10:58 PM
smashndash

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...ning-Fast.html

LB is now offering 2 carbon spoke types. One is their "race" type which only works with their proprietary hub, which looks decent. Kind of a winspace clone, but IMO the new winspace hubs look better than the LB offering. The "standard" spoke offers compatibility with any hub, which is much more attractive to me.

I've also started using campy red pads with my AR56 wheels w/ grooved graphene brake tracks. They work much better than black prince IMO. Way better initial bite, way less glazing/squealing/howling (though not none). There's a 3 minute technical 10% descent near me that overheats my rims pretty easily. So far, the fade has been much more manageable, and I'm only using them in the front. Only tested dry so far but I can't imagine they'd be worse in the wet.

I believe black prince has been named as the go-to pad for LBs but I really like the campy reds more. Hopefully they don't make my wheels assplode.

Last edited by smashndash; 07-20-22 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-21-22, 07:22 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...ning-Fast.html

LB is now offering 2 carbon spoke types. One is their "race" type which only works with their proprietary hub, which looks decent. Kind of a winspace clone, but IMO the new winspace hubs look better than the LB offering. The "standard" spoke offers compatibility with any hub, which is much more attractive to me.

I've also started using campy red pads with my AR56 wheels w/ grooved graphene brake tracks. They work much better than black prince IMO. Way better initial bite, way less glazing/squealing/howling (though not none). There's a 3 minute technical 10% descent near me that overheats my rims pretty easily. So far, the fade has been much more manageable, and I'm only using them in the front. Only tested dry so far but I can't imagine they'd be worse in the wet.

I believe black prince has been named as the go-to pad for LBs but I really like the campy reds more. Hopefully they don't make my wheels assplode.
Are the blue pads LB sells anywhere near as good?
Old 07-22-22, 08:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
plus a gazillion. The hassle, cost, and time shipping the hubs to China, and then counting on them to get them and put you in the production line just wouldn’t be worth it.

your hubs may sit in customs for a long time if you’d unlucky.

ebay your hubs, and buy the complete wheel set, or just buy the rims, and build up, or have built up , the wheels here.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-22-22, 10:20 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by himespau
Are the blue pads LB sells anywhere near as good?
You know... I've never tried them. I'll give them a shot once I've confirmed that campy reds don't ruin the wheels.
Old 09-19-22, 10:48 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Question: How good is the "bead lock" on the newer models of Light Bicycle wheels?

Hi folks, how good is the "bead lock" on the newer models of Light Bicycle wheels? For background, I have a set of Light Bicycle Falcon AR24 flyweight gravel wheels. These use the same rim as the RM29C06d mountain bike models. It's one of their oldest rim models.

Overall, they are working out nicely for gravel, HOWEVER, there is not much of a bead lock on these wheels. When deflating tires to add sealant, the tires quickly pop off the bead, which makes them more challenging to re-seat. This is true when using Gravel King 38 and 40mm tires or Continental Terra Speed tires (40mm). Adding an extra layer of rim tape doesn't make a difference.

Do their Light Bicycle's newer models have more of a secure bead lock?

--
Good things about the Light Bicycle AR24 wheelset:
- Lightweight (~1145g for the wheelset Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420 spokes and Novatec D411SB hubs).
- Seems sturdy enough for dirt roads and 'normal' gravel adventures (i.e. I don't do technical single track on the gravel bike).
- Much less expensive than similarly lightweight wheels from other brands.

Bad things
- Very limited "bead lock". When deflating tires to add sealant, the tires quickly pop off the bead, which makes them more challenging to re-seat.
Old 09-19-22, 11:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just recently got some for my wife's bike. The bead lock seems extremely tenacious, to the point it worries me.
Old 09-20-22, 01:55 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Hi folks, how good is the "bead lock" on the newer models of Light Bicycle wheels? For background, I have a set of Light Bicycle Falcon AR24 flyweight gravel wheels. These use the same rim as the RM29C06d mountain bike models. It's one of their oldest rim models.

Overall, they are working out nicely for gravel, HOWEVER, there is not much of a bead lock on these wheels. When deflating tires to add sealant, the tires quickly pop off the bead, which makes them more challenging to re-seat. This is true when using Gravel King 38 and 40mm tires or Continental Terra Speed tires (40mm). Adding an extra layer of rim tape doesn't make a difference.

Do their Light Bicycle's newer models have more of a secure bead lock?

--
Good things about the Light Bicycle AR24 wheelset:
- Lightweight (~1145g for the wheelset Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420 spokes and Novatec D411SB hubs).
- Seems sturdy enough for dirt roads and 'normal' gravel adventures (i.e. I don't do technical single track on the gravel bike).
- Much less expensive than similarly lightweight wheels from other brands.

Bad things
- Very limited "bead lock". When deflating tires to add sealant, the tires quickly pop off the bead, which makes them more challenging to re-seat.
I purchased AR 46 with no holes on Nov 2020

post # 1287

What do you consider newer ? With a charge pump or co2 I have not had any issues mounting my tubeless tires on my lightbicycle wheels. I have not found my lightbicycle rims to be any different than several alloy wheels I have setup for tubeless as far as mounting or how easy it is to break the bead.

In my experience getting the gp5000 clincher ( with tubes ) to break the bead is difficult on lightbicycle wheels. While 32mm gravel kings slicks is very easy to break the bead on lightbicycle wheels, but those tires are very easy to break on my alloy wheels also. So at least for me it just seems tubeless gravel king slicks in 32mm just come off the wheels easy.
Old 09-20-22, 07:58 AM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I just recently got some for my wife's bike. The bead lock seems extremely tenacious, to the point it worries me.
Hi Polaris Obark, that's good to hear. And good for safety. If you puncture you'll have time to notice before the tire rolls off the bead - it won't roll off immediately. Can you clarify which rims you purchased? Thanks!

For reference:
- With the RM29C06d, which they rebadged as the Falcon AR24 for gravel usage: If the pressure drops below 5 or 10 PSI with gravel tires, the tires will just fall off the bead (even when suspended in the air, nothing touching them, on the bike stand). That's the opposite of my Stan's Grail wheelset where there is a more prominent "bead hump" and you have to physically push the same tire off the bead. The same tires would never fall off the bead by itself.
- When topping up sealant, I often have to use an Air Shot canister and ensure that the valve core is removed to get enough of a blast of air into the tires to reseat them. On other wheelsets (Stan's Grail, stock no-name wheelset, Prime Kanza/Orra) the tires stay on the bead and can be fully reseated with a normal floor pump without much effort.
- I can work with this situation (and have for a long time), but it does mean you will be putting in a tube if you can't plug a puncture fast enough when on the road or trail. You certainly won't be reseating the tire with a mini pump and it would be maybe 50/50 chance with a CO2 cartridge, since you don't get the benefit of faster air flow by having the valve core removed.

Okay... I hope that explains. These are one of Light Bicycle's older rim models, so I hope/suspect that newer models have a different rim profile.
Old 09-20-22, 08:16 AM
TrackSmart

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I purchased AR 46 with no holes on Nov 2020

post # 1287

What do you consider newer ? With a charge pump or co2 I have not had any issues mounting my tubeless tires on my lightbicycle wheels. I have not found my lightbicycle rims to be any different than several alloy wheels I have setup for tubeless as far as mounting or how easy it is to break the bead.

In my experience getting the gp5000 clincher ( with tubes ) to break the bead is difficult on lightbicycle wheels. While 32mm gravel kings slicks is very easy to break the bead on lightbicycle wheels, but those tires are very easy to break on my alloy wheels also. So at least for me it just seems tubeless gravel king slicks in 32mm just come off the wheels easy.
Hi Sean, thanks for the feedback! As for the question of "old": I've been told that the RM29C06d (rebranded "AR24" recently for gravel) are an older and different design than many of LBs other wheelsets. They were originally for mountain bike usage (now they are in the sweet spot of width for modern gravel tires).

See my post just above for greater clarification on the bead retention issue. I suspect that the AR24/RM29C06d rims are a different animal from what you are describing -- though please correct me if I'm wrong. Pushing the tire off the bead is different from having them fall off the bead, even when the bike is in the stand, and you are releasing air as slowly as possible -- to avoid dropping the tire off the bead. I have other wheelsets (again, see post above) that have more of a "bead hump" that retains tires even when you release air pressure (e.g. for topping off sealant). Even using the same exact tires that I use on the AR24 wheelset (Gravel King and Continental Terra Speed), those other wheelsets won't spontaneously drop the tire from the bead at low pressure.

As I said, the AR24 (in flyweight form) is an extremely light (1150g total for wheelset), shallow depth wheelset that is otherwise great for gravel. I'm just wondering whether other LB models might cover those bases while also having better tire retention. I'm also wondering if, in general, their other rims do a better job at tire retention. Sounds like "yes" for the AR46. Not sure about others.
Old 09-20-22, 08:55 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Just double-checked.

Ours are AR-28
Old 09-20-22, 09:00 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

If I want to try to reproduce the problem, should I just deflate the tire and see if it breaks the seal spontaneously?

One caveat: They still have tubes in them. I was going to set them up tubeless, but haven't been in a rush. If the tube (even deflated) is helping, I will keep it this way.

This is a potentially critical issue. I bought these based on the experiences posted in this thread, so if it a general problem, it would be good to know about it before making any future purchases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.