Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The Vagaries of Public Transit

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The Vagaries of Public Transit

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 07:50 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
I did discover (after my trip) that I could ride 5-8 miles on each end of the trip and take a different bus over the steep middle part, though. That probably wouldn't save much time but it would be a lot more fun, especially since the second bike segment would be a pretty trail along the beach. I think I'll try that next time!
You point out two important discoveries I have made about being carfree:
  1. When Plan A and Plan B don't work, there's usually a Plan C that I haven't thought of yet.
  2. The carfree way is often complicated or slow, but it's almost always more fun or more beautiful than the route taken by cars.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-22-13, 07:51 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
How do folks who don't have cars approach the problem of getting to those places that are impractical for a reasonably quick bike trip, but equally impractical to reach via transit?
If I had this problem, I don't think it would be too difficult. First, I would call a cab to leave me at a location closer to my destination. The location could be 15 or 25 miles but it would have to be a road(s) that I can safely bicycle to my final destination. I would enter the route into my Garmin GPS turn by turn so I'm not lost after the cab drops me off!

This would get expensive if it were done every day of the week. However, using cabs, trains or buses with folding bikes makes it less expensive than renting or having a taxi take you all the way.

Back in the 1970's you needed a car to reach the supermalls in the burbs. Not anymore. Thanks to the internet, all products at these malls can be purchased online often for less. I still like to ride my bike out there with the assistance of trains but not for shopping but rather for enjoyment.
Old 06-22-13, 07:53 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
If I had this problem, I don't think it would be too difficult. First, I would call a cab to leave me at a location closer to my destination. The location could be 15 or 25 miles but it would have to be a road(s) that I can safely bicycle to my final destination. I would enter the route into my Garmin GPS turn by turn so I'm not lost after the cab drops me off!

This would get expensive if it were done every day of the week. However, using cabs, trains or buses with folding bikes makes it less expensive than renting or having a taxi take you all the way.

Back in the 1970's you needed a car to reach the supermalls in the burbs. Not anymore. Thanks to the internet, all products at these malls can be purchased online often for less. I still like to ride my bike out there with the assistance of trains but not for shopping but rather for enjoyment.
I was wrong. There's also a Plan D and a Plan E!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-23-13, 09:25 AM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dahon.Steve, I didn't think about combining a taxi with a folding bike. That's actually a pretty good idea for those times when public transit + bike isn't cutting it and I don't want to drive myself. Of course, it's been a long time since I've ridden my Bike Friday...it's sitting disassembled in a closet somewhere. I think I would consider doing that if I ended up in ro-monster's situation in the future.
Old 06-23-13, 09:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Back in the 1970's you needed a car to reach the supermalls in the burbs. Not anymore.
I am lucky to be living in the suburb which has seen lots of developement in the past 25 years. I have grocery stores, banks, doctors, dentists, bike shops all within a walking/biking distance...But not all suburbs are like that, there are many other burbs' where it is difficult to get anywhere without a car.
Old 06-23-13, 10:09 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I was wrong. There's also a Plan D and a Plan E!

Around here the Plan Protocol is just to go ahead and start with Plan C or D because A and B never got off the ground. I get in trouble at work all the time for telling them I am working on Plan F or G because I have NEVER had a Plan A or B that was given to me work out.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-23-13, 10:24 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
The Boston area had sort of decent public transit (by American standards), but recent cut backs in service, and the rte128 add a lane project has made carfree living more difficult both now and when the project is completed. I went four years carfree but am now, I guess, car lite.
Old 06-23-13, 05:30 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
[*]The carfree way is often complicated or slow, but it's almost always more fun or more beautiful than the route taken by cars.
Yes, yes and yes..