Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why do I keep breaking chains?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 11:04 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've never had a chain break on a bike until I got a Felt Q620 about a year and a half ago. The other day, a 3rd chain just broke. There is no way that I've put enough miles on this bike to justify going through chains like this. I've worn out plenty of chains in the past (stretching), on other bikes and always replaced them without them breaking.

Is it possible that there is something fundamentally wrong with the components in the drive train on this Felt Q620 that would unduly stress the chains?

I'm looking for some feedback before I go back to the lbs with my complaint.
Old 03-05-15, 11:07 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
What part of the chain breaks?

Old 03-05-15, 11:11 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The three possibilities I can think of are: A damaged or twisted tooth on a chainring or cog that can damage a link; rough shifting under heavy pedalling load (also known as a 'loose nut behind the wheel'); and improper installation.

Improper installation is by far the most common cause of chain breakage.
Old 03-05-15, 11:12 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
How are you connecting the chain after sizing?
IF you are just pushing the existing pin back in, that's the reason.
Old 03-05-15, 11:15 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
What part of the chain breaks?
Outer plates the last 2 times. I don't remember the first time.
Old 03-05-15, 11:16 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
How are you connecting the chain after sizing?
IF you are just pushing the existing pin back in, that's the reason.
I use a quick link to connect the chain. That has never been the failure point.
Old 03-05-15, 11:19 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
The three possibilities I can think of are: A damaged or twisted tooth on a chainring or cog that can damage a link; rough shifting under heavy pedalling load (also known as a 'loose nut behind the wheel'); and improper installation.

Improper installation is by far the most common cause of chain breakage.
I will look into the possibility of a damaged/twisted tooth.

I don't typically shift under heavy load, and certainly don't ride this bike any differently than any other in that regard.

Improper installation is possible, I suppose.
Old 03-05-15, 11:20 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
I use a quick link to connect the chain. That has never been the failure point.
Has any other part of the chain been "spliced"?
Old 03-05-15, 11:23 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Has any other part of the chain been "spliced"?
No. The chains were new. I've had no reason to break the chains anywhere.
Old 03-05-15, 11:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Every once in a blue moon a chain manufacturer overly heat treats the link plates causing them to be brittle. Sachs (pre SRAM) had this issue in the 1980s (or was it 1990s) for a short period. More frequently, but still uncommon, is a chain on a new bike that was assembled poorly, the pin isn't fully inserted into the side plate. This is the typical user install problem if a connecting link wasn't used. As mentioned first by Wilfred. Then more common is the hammer shifter who doesn't let off the pressure when shifting. This is usually what will create a twisted or bent tooth on either the cogs or rings. Then this "new" problem continues the chain breakage possibilities, even with reformed shifting technique. Andy.
Old 03-05-15, 11:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
You've broken three different chains in a year and a half? Something is indeed fundamentally wrong with something in your drivetrain or you ride off-road under extremely harsh conditions. Even an MTB shouldn't brake chains that often.
Old 03-05-15, 12:04 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
do you haul your bike on a vehicle with some sort of bumper rack that could be rubbing the chain?
Old 03-05-15, 12:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
One key to the possible causes is exactly HOW they break.

There are two basic modes of failure.

1- a plate works it's way out to the end of the pin then falls off under load, causing the opposite plate to bend under load and slide the pin out. The most common causes of this type of failure is hard shifting under load, something that each "improvement" in shifting makes easier to do, and splicing via pushing pins back in which makes chains more vulnerable to plate movement.

2- plate fracture. This is rare because chain companies understand that this points right back at them, and make every effort to ensure that this is not a common mode of failure. Plate fracture can have a number of causes, from tolerance issues between the pin and hole diameters, to bad heat treating, failure to bake out ions after plating, and exposure to chemicals which can embrittle the steel. If you have plate fractures you should immediately make the chain manufacturer aware of the problem, because it's something they need to know and track. They may ask about how you clean the chain, but if diligent will log the issue and watch for more complaints of the same.

Twisted links usually don't lead to failure, but they do cause skipping which in turn can cause added stresses.

So, I don't believe there's anything inherent to the bike or it's drivetrain, but you need to try to analyze what's happening because you should not be breaking chains for any reason.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-05-15, 01:22 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What chain are you using? Some are directional. Correct chain for the groupset? Chain length? Quick link used?
Old 03-05-15, 02:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
its an 8 speed Cassette on a Mountain Bike . you may just be a Thrasher . and hard shifting into gears Late.
Old 03-05-15, 07:16 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I am going to consider improper installation as the most likely cause unless I can find an issue with teeth being damaged or bent.

I am eliminating riding style as I don't ride that bike any differently than my others. I have over 11,000 miles on my touring bike and have never broken a chain on it -- it's current chain has over 4,100 miles. And as I said, I have never had a chain break on any other bike than this Felt.

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
do you haul your bike on a vehicle with some sort of bumper rack that could be rubbing the chain?
While I do in fact haul my bikes on a bumper rack, I load them with the drive train away, so there is nothing to rub against the chain. (good suggestion though) And again, it is only the Felt that has issues.
Old 03-05-15, 07:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Since you've virtually eliminated installation as a factor (you use a connector which hasn't failed), you're left with few possibilities. Unless you bought all the chains together on within a narrow time interval, defective chains are likewise unlikely (what are the odds of buying 3 defective chains).

It's possible that you're cutting the chains too short (LT big/big+ 1"), but that's easy enough to rule in or out.

So, we're down to something about the sprockets, and you.

Question, this bike is Hyperglide, what were your prior bikes? If not Hyperglide, then I see that as the difference. Hyperglide makes overly aggressive possible, and can break chains in a way that non hyperglide bikes can't.

BTW- you never said whether the breaks were off the pin type or fractured plates.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-05-15, 07:49 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
FBinNY's post still has me curious if the outer plates are cracking and splitting, or if the pin is pulling out and separating from the outer plate.

Got any pictures? Are you using the same 9-speed chain on the LHT? Despite your humility, I'm finding it hard to believe that installation error could be the problem, since you've managed so many miles on other bikes without a problem. Perhaps Andy is on the right track that you've simply gotten a couple of chains from a bad batch.

EDIT: Simul-post with FB's latest!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-05-15, 08:05 PM
Centaurious

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak , KHS Sierra Something

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could the OP be unintentionally using a single speed chain and stressing it sideways? Just trying to think what would stress the chain enough to fail.
Old 03-05-15, 08:31 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurious
Could the OP be unintentionally using a single speed chain and stressing it sideways? Just trying to think what would stress the chain enough to fail.
Your guess is as good as anyone's -- and it's all just guess work until the OP answers the questions.
Old 03-05-15, 10:01 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry that I haven't answered all the questions. Here's a couple more answers:

I did not buy the chains at the same time.

I don't think the chain has a directional requirement.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Since you've virtually eliminated installation as a factor (you use a connector which hasn't failed), you're left with few possibilities. Unless you bought all the chains together on within a narrow time interval, defective chains are likewise unlikely (what are the odds of buying 3 defective chains).

It's possible that you're cutting the chains too short (LT big/big+ 1"), but that's easy enough to rule in or out.

So, we're down to something about the sprockets, and you.

Question, this bike is Hyperglide, what were your prior bikes? If not Hyperglide, then I see that as the difference. Hyperglide makes overly aggressive possible, and can break chains in a way that non hyperglide bikes can't.

BTW- you never said whether the breaks were off the pin type or fractured plates.
I actually did say that the outer plates failed the last 2 times but I couldn't remember what happened the first time. Now, however, I am not sure the plates failed this last time. It looks like the pins on the quick link broke loose. This all happened in the dark at -2F on my way to work and when I got the bike back home I assumed that part of the chain was left laying in the road. Now I am not so sure there is anything missing other than the other part of the quick link.

I never heard of Hyperglide before. The bike I referred to with over 11,000 miles is a Surly LHT. I can't say whether it has Hyperglide or not, but unless it comes stock, then it does not.

I hope I have not left any questions unanswered. I thank you for your patience and your insights.
Attached Images
Old 03-05-15, 10:19 PM
FBinNY 

In this photo, it isn't the chain that broke but the connector. Do you remember if that was the case on the other ones?

I do see a cracked hole at the solid end, but it's impossible to know if it caused or was the result of the failure. I've heard of (but never seen) Sram link issues where links somehow manage to unlatch, which may be why Sram moved to links that latch positively.

Without assigning blame, if the prior failures were also at the connector, I'd look at another brand of chain, either Shimano which doesn't use connectors, or maybe KHS which does.

Old 03-05-15, 10:29 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The 2nd time a chain broke, the outer plates flat out split open.

This time the quick link may be the culprit. I wonder if I am taking a gamble by reusing a quick link. Maybe they are not designed to be removed and reinstalled too many times? It would sure be worth it to me to replace it every so often if that would keep me from breaking down in the middle of nowhere.

By the way, I think the bike came with a KHS chain.
Old 03-14-15, 07:56 PM
Relaxin 

Bikes: 1987 Trek 1000, 2012 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've cut a lot of chains and re-connected them with the same pin that I pushed out and none of them have failed at the cut link. These chains have been on all my personal commuter bikes and bikes that I've refurbed for friends. As long as you only cut the chain at that link once you should be okay. Just make sure that the link moves freely as normal. If my personal bikes have a quicklink and I have some sort of opportunity to replace the chain or shorten the chain I will remove the quicklink. I've had a few pop loose. I've also seen some bikes come with the wrong quicklink for the chain that's installed.
Old 03-14-15, 08:44 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Are you taking the chain apart a lot to clean it? If so stop doing that! instead use a chain cleaning machine like the Park to clean the chain. Every time you take the chain apart you weaken that link more and more. In addition to that problem incorrectly installed pin will make a chain fail fast.

Here is how a chain is to be put together: www.cyclingnews.com news and analysis

The others mentioned shifting under load, but do you cross your gears? meaning do you ride in the largest front gear and the largest 3 rear gears, and or do you use the smallest front gear and the smaller 3 rear gears? that is crossing and it puts a lot of stress on chains. Some folks say chains are tough and cross chaining or shifting under load won't break a chain, I'm not sure, I've never broke a chain in 40 plus years of riding including racing and training in the mountains of California where I shifted a lot under hard load.

It's also possible you somehow are using a chain that is too short (too long won't cause a chain to break it will would instead have sloppy shifting and cause the chain to drop).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.