Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Winter transition

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 12:48 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
I've never had any interest in any sport other than biking. So either biking or nothing (Ha!) And ever since I moved to this dogforsaken state my past love of winter has utterly evaporated. Two years my kids graduate and I leave here never to return. Whether the fam' comes with me or not, I am done with this state.
I hear ya im from Wisconsin and I will never live there again ...winters suck as
Old 09-29-19, 02:53 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I'd move back to Wisconsin without a second thought. My entire family is there as are the majority of my childhood friends, with whom I'm still in regular contact (and see practically every time we go back for a visit). That alone is worth moving back for. Just the general friendliness, the warmth of people in the southern half of Wisconsin makes home better than anything I've experienced here in central minnesota.

As far as winter there being bad... not compared to central mn. At least at home you can expect winter to end sometime in March. I've ridden both motorcycles and bicycles during that month as a regularity while in this state that doesn't happen until early May. And though I may not have seasonal disorder nothing puts me in a foul mood like a long winter does. Even so I could always survive it more easily when I had family and friends nearby. Yah, I'd move back right now if everything fell into place.

Last edited by shrtdstncrdr; 09-29-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 11:25 AM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I'm fortunate to live in Silicon Valley, CA where we have a more "Mediterranean-kind" of weather: warmer summers, cooler winters...pretty great weather the year round. As people have stated, the cooler the weather, the more the layers.

The only thing I get bothered by during riding is wind...hate dealing with headwinds. I also won't go out for a ride if it is already raining (and if the ground is already wet, i.e. puddles all over the place and slippery railroad tracks, painted areas, wet leaves, wood bridges and without a rear fender I end up with a dark wet, dirty strip down my back and across my fanny pack However, if I get caught in the rain (after I start my ride), unless it's a torrential downpour (not usually a problem), I'll actually enjoy it. Creates a whole different kind of ambiance for the ride.

I also hate riding in the dark on the shorter days. However, if I wait till too much daylight it means more cars (and traffic) and more bad drivers making decisions that put me in harm's way. So, I try to find a balance between not too dark and not too much traffic. I do have bike lanes over a lot of my ride (and the MUT for another part), but that doesn't prevent stupidity or poor judgement on the part of the drivers.

Use to jog ~6 mi. in the mornings 3x a week. I found it boring and also gave that up to save my knees....bike riding also allows me to see more scenery.
Old 09-30-19, 02:16 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
In rainy Oregon coast we break out the rain gear. Which I am working on now, since its just starting. But on the very bad days its gym time. I tend to exercise bike and half swim so I just up the swim on bad weather days.
With arthritis in knees, one foot, and spine running is out. In fact walking is done with a cane. So swimming is the choice.
Old 09-30-19, 02:49 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Lived in Hillsboro for abt 6 years back in the late 70s/early 80s (loved the OR coast during winter So I do know abt rainy days...and very short ones as fall turned to winter. On the other end, it was nice to have so much sunlight (when it wasn't clouded over during the summers.

Definitely miss parts of my time in OR, other times, not so much....

Originally Posted by Marci
In rainy Oregon coast we break out the rain gear. Which I am working on now, since its just starting. But on the very bad days its gym time. I tend to exercise bike and half swim so I just up the swim on bad weather days.
With arthritis in knees, one foot, and spine running is out. In fact walking is done with a cane. So swimming is the choice.
Likes For stephr1:
Old 09-30-19, 04:09 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
If it gets darker, turn on your lights.
If it gets colder, put on a sweater.
If it snows, put on your winter tires.
I'd add, if it snows, make sure the snowblower's good to go.

Yup. Seasonal variations seem to promote mankind's advancement.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/brain...b0b40245c42d6a

This may go a long way to explaining La La Land.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 09-30-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 04:48 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
If it gets darker, turn on your lights.
If it gets colder, put on a sweater.
If it snows, put on your winter tires.
It's a lot easier for some people to whine and complain and make excuses because of the weather than it is to do the simple things that you just mentioned
Old 09-30-19, 05:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
But ... it's spring. Daylight hours are getting longer!
Yabut you have to hang from your feet to get it
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-30-19, 06:09 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's a lot easier for some people to whine and complain and make excuses because of the weather than it is to do the simple things that you just mentioned
I can remember as a kid I would complain about the cold (indoors). My mother would tell me to put a sweater on. I was already wearing two of them. And a hat. Would have had mittens on too but couldn't do homework like that. Yeah, they kept the heat at 55.
Old 10-01-19, 01:38 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I've now got a velo. I plan on riding unless the snow is so deep I simply can't power through it.

I shouldn't have to worry about that, though, they do a pretty good job keeping the streets cleared here.
Old 10-01-19, 01:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I've now got a velo. I plan on riding unless the snow is so deep I simply can't power through it

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-06-19, 11:01 AM
bedtime

Bikes: Louis Garneau road bike converted to fixie for artistic cycling

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
A fat tire bike?

Maybe a 1:1 chainring/sprocket ratio for deep snow trekking.

Old 10-06-19, 07:13 PM
Marci

So I have a question, on the really cold days (under 30 degrees) how do you keep your hands warm? Gloves the cold just goes thru.
Old 10-06-19, 07:23 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
So I have a question, on the really cold days (under 30 degrees) how do you keep your hands warm? Gloves the cold just goes thru.
Downhill ski gloves.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 10-06-19, 07:43 PM
bedtime

A good way to overcome severe cold and wind is to wear a glove shell that is windproof and breaths (i.e., Gore-tex) and some gloves or mitts that can be worn underneath which provide insulation.

I've been using this shell for the past 12+ years: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-Mount-Baker-Modular/dp/B0059BISMC?th=1&psc=1

It's been worth every penny, though I paid about half the price back then ($85 CDN.). I'd say the shell is by far the most important part of the glove; you could insert just about any highly-breathable, low end mitt inside and it would be fine under very low temperatures. And you could put your hand underwater and it wouldn't leak, yet it would breath.
Likes For bedtime:
Old 10-06-19, 08:14 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
cross country skiing is just like down hill skiing except all the fun is removed
I've been skiing twice since moving to Colorado in 1992. Once downhill, and then once cross-country.

Cross-country skiing was better because once you fall it's over; where as falling during downhill skiing you can slide for what seems like forever.
Old 10-06-19, 08:45 PM
Marci

I did wear just the insulated ski gloves and still my hands would be frozen. But towards the end of last winter I did get a pair of mittens, but haven't had a chance to try them out for the really colds nights. I figured I could put one of those heater things in them. But I wonder if even that would work. I have arthritis in my hands and wow do they hurt if cold. The insulated boots I wear work great, and the fuzzy leggings, sometimes 2 pair. LOL But if its not raining too hard I want to ride, Think I figured out the wet stuff. LOL a bike poncho is lovely.
Old 10-07-19, 05:14 AM
bedtime

I did wear just the insulated ski gloves and still my hands would be frozen. But towards the end of last winter I did get a pair of mittens, but haven't had a chance to try them out for the really colds nights. I figured I could put one of those heater things in them. But I wonder if even that would work. I have arthritis in my hands and wow do they hurt if cold. The insulated boots I wear work great, and the fuzzy leggings, sometimes 2 pair. LOL But if its not raining too hard I want to ride, Think I figured out the wet stuff. LOL a bike poncho is lovely.
Sometimes poor blood circulation can be an issue. If your hands are cold prior to putting them in the gloves, the best gloves in the world won't heat them up; gloves provide insulation and protection but not heat—your body has to provide that.

In such a case, the warmer you speak of would definitely help.

Also, my teacher used to say, "wear a hat to keep your hands warm." A third of your body heat dissipates from your head, so keeping it nice and toasty will help overall.

The leggings are a great idea. Make sure that if you do wear layers that you leave space for air; space is vital to holding the heat your body produces. Layering works primarily due to allowing air to be stored between layers, so don't go wearing two pairs of extremely tight leggings. One pair of decent, thick leggings + pants + a windblocking, water resistant type snow pant shell would be effective. That and moving around should be more than enough to keep your legs warm.
Old 10-07-19, 08:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Personally, on below-30 days, I encase my hands in a gym.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. No knock on anyone who enjoys winter biking.
Old 10-07-19, 09:01 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by bedtime
Also, my teacher used to say, "wear a hat to keep your hands warm." A third of your body heat dissipates from your head, so keeping it nice and toasty will help overall.
Wearing something on your head is always a good idea, because like every other part of your body, it can get cold. However, losing a third of your body heat through your head is an urban legend.

I use a thin cap that covers my ears when it gets chilly, and a balaclava when it gets too cold to breath without my nose hurting.
Old 10-07-19, 09:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
bar Mitts. they're like little garages for your hands. Takes the pressure off the gloves. it's crazy how much we demand from gloves
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-08-19, 04:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I find that gloves are very dependent on the person. My wife has Raynaud's syndrome and can hardly tolerate 40°F without very heavy gloves. I can wear long fingered mountain bike gloves down to about 40°. After than I switch to something like Serius Xtremes (which really aren't). I'm good with those down to mid 20°. Down to about 10°, I'm good with Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier gloves. I don't usually go much lower than that.

But your mileage will vary.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!