Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling for Abs

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 04:06 AM
cycler56

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling for Abs

Hello,
Is it possible to build abs and muscles only by riding? I can't find any trustable source about it.
So is there anyone who gain those only by cycling?
Old 11-04-20, 04:29 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cycler56
Hello,
Is it possible to build abs and muscles only by riding? I can't find any trustable source about it.
The short answer is: NO....and anybody who tells you that it is possible is lying.
Old 11-04-20, 04:30 AM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Hello,
The old saying "abs are made in the kitchen" is as true now as it has ever been.
Most people, with the right diet will be able to see some ab definition without much exercise.
If you're eating right for your body, so that you're not putting on fat, or exercising enough to burn off enough calories by any method (cycling, running, weight lifting, etc) to be in a deficit over a long period, your body will burn fat and show some ab's.

Dedicated ab exercises ( and again, the right diet with enough protein) will give you bigger abs, but again, even with big abs a thin layer of fat will conceal them.

Get your diet right and ab's will eventually just show up.
Old 11-04-20, 04:37 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
“Cycling”: no. Not at all. It won’t even “build your glutes” like many people think it will, no matter how hard & long you ride. It can be really great cardio work, though.

bmxing (sprinting/climbing while standing up & bunny hopping as big as you can over/up onto everything you can 40-80 times per ride, at least three rides per week): yes. It’ll cut & build your entire core. Stick with it for a few years and you’ll even develop “back-abs”.

———

It’s a lot cheaper to build your abs doing boring prison cell exercises than to do it via bike. You really need 48 spoke doublewall rim wheels $$$ built and bolted onto a non-kids Pro-level bmx $$$ which you’ll probably find yourself needing serious 3 piece cranks $$$. $$$+$$$+$$$=$,$$$

———

You really should try to connect with an Athletic Physical Therapist (not at all the same thing as a “trainer” at a gym) to collect the whole batch of core strength exercises and how to do them correctly so you don’t over build some muscles and underbuild others in a way that has you being forced by your doctor to go see a Physical Therapist due to back pain fifteen years in the future. Ask me how I know.

These biomechanically correct exercises will build your abs and everything else really well.

Last edited by hsuBM; 11-04-20 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-04-20, 05:14 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson_smyth
The old saying "abs are made in the kitchen" is as true now as it has ever been.
Most people, with the right diet will be able to see some ab definition without much exercise.
Actually abs are build by using them for what they were designed for and if you don't use it you loose it... Eating right won't make your abs stronger, it may make them visible but it won't make them strong. Abs and core need to be used in order to make them stronger.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-04-20, 05:15 AM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
“Cycling”: no. Not at all. It won’t even “build your glutes” like many people think it will, no matter how hard & long you ride. It can be really great cardio work, though.

bmxing (sprinting/climbing while standing up & bunny hopping as big as you can over/up onto everything you can 40-80 times per ride, at least three rides per week): yes. It’ll cut & build your entire core. Stick with it for a few years and you’ll even develop “back-abs”.

———

It’s a lot cheaper to build your abs doing boring prison cell exercises than to do it via bike. You really need 48 spoke doublewall rim wheels $$$ built and bolted onto a non-kids Pro-level bmx $$$ which you’ll probably find yourself needing serious 3 piece cranks $$$. $$$+$$$+$$$=$,$$$

———

You really should try to connect with an Athletic Physical Therapist (not at all the same thing as a “trainer” at a gym) to collect the whole batch of core strength exercises and how to do them correctly so you don’t over build some muscles and underbuild others in a way that has you being forced by your doctor to go see a Physical Therapist due to back pain fifteen years in the future. Ask me how I know.

These biomechanically correct exercises will build your abs and everything else really well.
dont confuse bodybuilding with seeing abs. everyone has abs. the internet is full of skinny guys with abs because they have a low body fat. the right diet and any exercise will let you get your body fat down to a level where abs are visible.
if you want bigger abs, thats body building and again massively dependent on diet, but also more dependent on training than simply losing fat to show your skinny abs.
Old 11-04-20, 05:24 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Abs for cycling

Its the other way; abs for cycling. Burn fat and do stomach crunches and your cycling will improve.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-04-20, 06:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Not only is it true that “abs are made in the kitchen”, but cycling by itself does little for core strength, though it benefits greatly from it.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-04-20, 07:34 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Likes For friday1970:
Old 11-04-20, 08:03 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Cycling does workout the core muscles at the back by quite a lot but not the front (abs).

It does a bit at the front sides if doing a lot of out of the saddle pedaling
Yup, and the benefit of studio spin classes is that it is easier to "pull stroke" thus adding to the core workout, especially the lower core.
Old 11-04-20, 09:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM

There is truth in this. General road cycling, no, you won't gain large muscles. But there are some cycling disciplines, like BMX, where you are going to build and strengthen your core.
Old 11-04-20, 08:14 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Is it possible to build abs and muscles only by riding?
From my experience, yes. I see most people answering no, but I've been cycling for three years now and have noticed my abs have developed over that time. I was running before I gave that up (bad knees) for cycling, so I wasn't moving from couch potato to cyclist but from runner to cyclist. I don't think I'm imagining this, and I certainly didn't expect it.
Old 11-04-20, 08:36 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Cycling does workout the core muscles at the back by quite a lot but not the front (abs).

It does a bit at the front sides if doing a lot of out of the saddle pedaling
This is not my experience. Been riding for 20 years and my core is weak unless I am doing core exercises.

Yes, riding does call on my core, but it does not really strengthen it, it just gives me back problems if it is weak.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-04-20, 08:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2580 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The short answer is: NO....and anybody who tells you that it is possible is lying.

OK busted. I am lying around tonight.

Old 11-04-20, 08:37 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
it might reveal them but it wont build them
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-04-20, 09:24 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Just get the jersey
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-05-20, 06:28 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Hello,
Maybe a tiny bit, because you may use your abs to a small extent to help stabilize your core while pedaling (road cycling) - but your abs are probably the core muscles you use least while cycling so they will see the least benefit. If your abs and core are so weak that they will actually get a benefit from this, however, it is far more likely that cycling will cause you back problems before you see any tiny benefit in your abs.

As many people have said above, it is your cycling (and your back) that will benefit from a strong core, not the other way around.
Old 11-05-20, 06:41 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Cycling builds up the back, glutes, and legs, but not the abs really at all, IMO. You can end up with back problems from this unbalanced situation just like I did, because the abs can't counteract and counter-balance all the forces being exerted elsewhere.

I like doing planks for abs, very simple, they work the abs right where you need them for cycling, and a minute or so is usually enough.

"Bird Dogs" are also helpful for strengthening the lower back, and lower abs to some extent, so that the two areas have somewhat equal strength and can balance each other out while you're on the bike.

Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-05-20, 07:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I have big glutes doing nothing else but cycling.
You're about 120 pounds, or so you say. Your glutes can't be all that big. In any event, look at the glutes of pro cyclists in the tours. The glutes of the best climbers are all but nonexistent.
Old 11-05-20, 07:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
This is not my experience. Been riding for 20 years and my core is weak unless I am doing core exercises.

Yes, riding does call on my core, but it does not really strengthen it, it just gives me back problems if it is weak.
Precisely. Except for short durations of sprinting and attacking on hills, cycling doesn't (and shouldn't) invoke much use of core muscles. I've never done any weight training or "core" training, and until I reached 65 years of age 4 years ago, I was always able to keep up with the strongest cyclists I'd ridden with, including guys 30 years younger.
Old 11-05-20, 09:49 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
From my experience, yes. I see most people answering no, but I've been cycling for three years now and have noticed my abs have developed over that time.
It’s been my experience the last three months of riding SS only that I have at least been able to tone and strengthen my core and upper body with relatively few other workouts (too nice out not to bike!). I doubt that I’ve added a lot of muscle mass but that isn’t my intent.

When I’ve used the elliptical or done my circuit training, I’m able to work with more intensity and for longer, so that hasn’t suffered for the heavy rotation on biking. But I’ve changed a lot of things up to make that happen and riding more like BMX than road.

Edit: it occurs to me that beyond the much higher fraction of standing work, there is probably a lot more core and upper body work needed because I raised the bars to be about an inch above saddle height. Since my trunk weight isn’t helping as much, I have to maintain more tension on the bars through the arms and core to keep from sliding back off the saddle.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 11-05-20 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-05-20, 08:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2580 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Ab development is ridiculous. I ride to develop my pecks... and they are awesome.

Old 11-05-20, 08:52 PM
Alan Bikes
Banned

Bikes: cruiser, bmx,road

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You could just ride with your core engaged. As you ride make sure you engage your abs, and then release, maybe make a game out of it.
Old 11-06-20, 12:17 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
No. I do sit-ups, bicycle crunches, and flutter kicks daily. At least 100.

I also do various types of pushups, working up to doing hand stand pushups, plus lunges.

I love riding, but I don't want a cyclist's body either.
Old 11-06-20, 12:51 AM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
cycling to build 6-pack is like eating potato chips for ur daily protein intake (with the 1g of protein in them).
ok, may be not... u might get a 6-pack with enuf cycling... but chips? yummmm, LISA, where is that blue colored pack of salty stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.