Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Tempe vs 1030+ temperature readings

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-23, 10:40 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

What do you think takes a more accurate temperature reading? The tempe attached to my black cycling shoe OR the temperature reading that comes from the Edge 1030+?
Old 01-23-23, 08:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Seems like an invitation to pontificate. Therefore:

On a cloudy day, probably the 1030+. Unless you're riding very fast, I'd expect the heat from your foot through the shoe would give you an erroneously elevated temperature reading. However, on a sunny day, I've seen bar-mount GPS readings 5-8F high because of solar heating. Of course, the black shoes would warm things up there, too.

For best accuracy, get a thermometer zipper pull and attach it to your saddle bag (or saddle rail). $20 and you don't need to worry about sun or not, because your bottom will shade the thermometer and the separation from your body will minimize body heating.
Old 01-23-23, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
The Tempe is made for taking temperature readings and is probably more responsive to changing temperatures. The temp sensor on the Edge devices AFAIK are buried on the circuit board and likely aren't as responsive to temperature change. So the temp reading of your Edge device probably lags what the actual temp is as you ride from cooler to warmer areas. Even the Tempe likely has some amount of lag to it.

I can look at the temp data from my Edge 530 and see that it takes it about 4 - 5 minutes to come from the air conditioned temps of my home to the outside air temps on a hot day. It seems a tad faster than my Edge 500 which IIRC, it took almost twice as long for it to get to ambient temps.

Which is more accurate or which is more precise I don't know.
Old 01-24-23, 12:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
i've taken note that the bicycle computer is much slower to react to temp swings, but if given some standby time, it'll read accurate. It'll be much more real-time accurate than the "local temps" displayed on the app.
Old 01-25-23, 10:52 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Reminds me of Segal’s Law, “A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.” I’ve found this to be true with temperature readings on bike computers and other devices. After awhile, I try to settle on one and even then, take the reading with a grain of salt.

Given that, I'd probably trust a dedicated instrument over a bike computer of any make.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-27-23, 10:11 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thanks folks. I use the tempe for temperature readings when running b/c the temperature reading from my 745 are unreliable. My body heat really throws off the readings. The tempe on my shoe is much more accurate. Perhaps I will start using the tempe for cycling too.
Old 01-28-23, 10:47 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
the Garmin is pretty accurate as long as your moving. but its a little slow. the Karoo is really fast but its 3 degrees off. in the summer you are more likely to get the pavement temps. when it was 117 degrees here I had the pavement temp of 135 degrees. but that was pretty accurate say you felt backed the blacktop.